Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What has being fat kept you from doing?

Last night I went to my daughters school for a family night. When we got there they were putting on a skit from a book that the kids had read and wanted the children to participate. The woman running the skit said will you be the momma skunk?, I stood there for a second and the word YES was out of my mouth before I knew it.:thumbdown: Well, my role was to be the momma skunk to my babies, which my daughter was one of, and teach them how to spray what we are aiming at. SOO, I had to aim my big ol' butt and shake itttttt.:tongue2::eek::lol: The kids were laughing and having a good time and they started doing it too. It was a lot of fun.

In the car on the way home my 6 year old daughter said, "Momma that was really fun. I feel really happy." Well, I got all teary eyed :) because I thought to myself, how much silliness and fun have I caused her to miss out on because I know full well that 65 pounds ago I would never have gotten up there in front of all those people and did that. I did my best to blend in, forget stand out and shake my butt! Having that time with her and knowing that her comment was genuine is the best thing that has come out of me having the band so far. I look sooo forward to all the memories that we are going to make since I have gotten this wonderful opportunity to start over!

How about you guys have you had anything similar happen?? A moment that you realized you are begining to do things you would never have done before?

That is a great story! Not being confident with my body holds me back from enjoying a lot more than I openly realize. I can't wait to get this weight off and regain confidence!

Should I make a List or just say a few things!

Hanging out with friends, Hunting, Fishing, Sports, Going to the Movies/Shows, Trips.

I could go on.

The one that is fresh in my memory is the disabled Veterans take a ski trip once a yr. My husband and I have never been snow skiing. So since my husband is a disabled Veteran we went to the outing. My legs were so fat they couldn't fit in any of the ski boots. And since I really didn't have snow clothes, they had extra gear that I could use. Nothing fit me. I was so embarrassed. I had to sit at the lodge with nothing to do except reflect on how fat I was. My husband said we could go home, but I put on my game face for him and told him to have a great time that I would embark on other activities (which there wasnt anything else unless I wanted to sit at the kiddy table with the toddlers). I hope when it's time for the trip next yr I won't face the same problem.

I loved your story. Being heavy has destroyed my self confidence. I dont want to leave the house or participate in anything. My kids are not enrolled in sports, I do not volunteer my time at the school and I avoid all social situations where I may run into someone who used to know me (I was always thin until about 10 yrs ago). I always feel like I am the heaviest person in the room where ever I go, parents night at school where we have to sit in our kids desks (right, that's going to happen), class concerts (barely fit in the auditorium seats). I know it is just me doing this, but I always feel like people stare at me because of it too.

Being heavy has kept me from living. I had my surgery 8/25/10 and am already down 27 lbs. I feel better and am ready to start changing my behaviors that kept me cooped up!

Great story!

The biggest things that I feel fat felt me from doing are standing up for myself and dating.

Great story. Totally!

I made my husband go to a few weddings by himself. I never went to his office parties. I've always been a good athlete but didn't participate in anything. Didn't go to college or graduate school reunions. The list goes on...

I have avoided going to see my husband at work and attending any of his office's social functions because I don't want them to know he has a fat wife :thumbup:

Going to the beach with friends

Wearing a bathing suit

Dating

Being able to shop in regular stores

Feeling like a normal person

Being confidant

Wow that is a really good story! I got banded in in september of this year and we have almoost the same starting weight and the same exact goal weight. I have a 6 month old and he truly is the reason I'm doing this and cannot wait to make these kind of memories with him :thumbup:

I am guilty of many of the things posted by others. The list can go on and on and on...

But, I was wondering how many of these self-imposed limits really were needed. I wonder if people really are THAT critical of us. Yes, I have been the butt of jokes and rude comments, but looking back those incidents were in the minority compared to the many people I interact with daily. Those negative things are the things that stick with us the most.

Just pondering this along with the other mysteries of life.:thumbup:

In the car on the way home my 6 year old daughter said, "Momma that was really fun. I feel really happy."

Awwww. That's so cute!

5 months out and 60 lbs down....i am finally confident enough to "do it" with the lights on. heheheh to be honest the lights never go off now....sorry if this is tmi!

outwardly I was never afraid to do stuffor talk to people....butwhen I walked away I just knew they were talking about me. I was a master at faking it (my confidence that is haha) around people...now I have that real confidence!

Thank you guys for sharing your stories. I feel so glad for all of us that we are starting over, yet I feel sad for us that we have allowed what other think to influence us for so long.

I knew that the lapband would change the way I looked on the outside but I cant tell you how happy it has made me that it is changing me on the inside too. Self confidence is something that I thought I had, fat and all. Now I know I was so wrong, it was a show to have people think I was stronger than I really was. The real confidence is just starting to come to the surface.

This board has been such a wonderful link to what this journey is about. You guys rock!:thumbup::woot: