Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I always going to have problems?

Hi Guys

In March 2010, i had 7.5ml in my band and i felt sick and i ended up throwing up for hours. I contacted the Emergency Hours number for my clinic and they took all the Fluid out.

Now in October 2010 today, im having lots of pain in my stomach area, it doesnt feel like anything is stuck (been there done that) but i have an appointment at 2pm to get checked out. I now have 6ml in my band as of Wednesday when he put 0.5ml in. Of course its a Public Holiday here in Adelaide so the fees will be enormous, but all im thinking is, is it worth it?

I dont want the surgeon to drain it all again- it sucks having to start the process again. Ill let you all know what happens.

I hope they don't do a complete unfill - that would be disheartening for sure.

If you're experiencing problems with aggressive fills, ask them to go smaller fills (I've only ever had a 0.5ml fill once, the rest have been 0.25ml). And see if you can get them more often instead - once a month or something.

Good luck. I think going slower with the size of the fills might ease of your problems.

So i went and saw the clinic and they drained me again!

I am sooo depressed over it, whenever they put it in after March, they only gave me 2ml at the beginning, then 0.5ml each time.

Im on a liquid diet for a few days but i think i will do it for a week or more and when i feel normal again ill do mushies, i just really want this weight to come off. I see a personal trainer twice a week and the weightloss is just so slow.

I am going back to see them next week. So i wonder what is going to happen.

oh no, that's not good. If you're seeing them in a week, hopefully you'll start getting filled again soon and won't be struggling for long.

You can ask to have smaller fills than 0.5mls. You know your body best. I have asked for smaller fills before - just let them know you've had to be unfilled twice and you'd rather go slow this time. You don't want to have to keep going back to the beginning.

Good luck!

Hi, My story is pretty much the same as yours, I think the main reason why I can't drop any more weight is due to all the medications I'm currently taking, I hope your band starts working soon, I gave up on the band for about 6 months, had it all drained at the ER at the Hospital as my Banding Doc was interstate at the time, I was throwing up all the time as well, But as of 3 weeks ago I decided to give it one more go, I'd prefer to go for the mini lap band, at least with that even though they take a heap of the intestines out there's no more stuffing around with fills or refills, but I don't think that procedure is availiable in Oz land at this stage,

anyway enough about me, sorry to steal your lime light with this post of yours I just hope it starts working for you, and myself as it has cost a lot of money and seems so far to be a complete waste of time, good luck all the best

Harold :smile:

What is the mini lapband? I've never heard of it?

Mini Lap banding as far as I can make out (its probably better if you search around for it on a search engine) but anyway Its basically where they take a large section of your stomach away and intestines and sort of make it like your stomach (the intestines I mean't to say) is the same size as your new stomach, like I said I don't know the exact details only saw it on a couple of websites, but its a permanate proceedure (sorry about the spelling) it basically lets the food pass straight into the intestines, as I said before its best to do a search for it, and also as I said in my previous message its I don't think its available in Oz at this time, then again I could be wrong, sorry if this isn't much help, like I said before in my previous post I hope your band starts working soon, at least with the lap band it can be taken out, which is why I decided on it, and also because of my weight,

Regards

Harold :)

I think you must be referring to the sleeve. It is the first part of the bypass op so could be referred to as a mini bypass but it is now used as a stand alone surgery.

This procedure is available in Australia.

If they are taking out/bypassing intestine and reducing stomach size it sounds like a full on Gastric bypass. The GB has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages - malabsorption and Vitamin deficiency for a start. My sister had GB and she can eat almost anything in small amounts but is suffering, she is 2 years out and is still loosing weight - about 60kilos now - but is very Iron deficient and lacks energy often.

Hey Guys

I went and my clinic last week, week before. Ive been a bit busy with my studies, im studying Law and its exam time, so im just focusing on that. However, he put 4ml and ill be seeing them again on Nov 17.

I havent really been following anything too strictly due to crazy hours with study. But lets see how i go.

Def Def Def ask for smaller fills! I have never had to go right back to the beginning - I've had a fill of .5ml then an unfil of 1mL but that's as far back as I had to go.... I'm a rarity though, I have 9.2mL in a 10mL band... My doc said he's never had anyone else have so much fill and still be able to eat! I am stubborn though and do like a lot of restriction as I still struggle with emotional eating even after seeing a psychologist for over 2 years.... Good luck with your journey but don't ever be afraid to ask for a smaller fill!:D