Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! What a day! We walked into the Dr's office expecting a needle some cool fluoroscope pictures and out the door. WRONG! The freeze spray was easy. The needle was easy, I actually held the needle in place so the Dr could adjust the scope. She then gave me a Dixie cup of barium and had me drink it. Then she shot all 14cc's on saline to close off the stoma. She was watching the scope and removing the saline to get the flow they wanted and it hit me. I felt a bit lite headed but still OK. She removed the needle and asked me how are you feeling? I said I feel a bit wobbly. Then my vision started to "tunnel" my hearing started to dim, think Charlie Brown's teacher, I got cold, then hot, then the sweat started to pop. It took everything in me to not pass out. I felt my wife next to me, holding my hand and asking me if I was OK. I could not answer, I wanted to but I was trying to concentrate on not hitting the floor. I heard every muffled word but could not respond. After about 5 hours(felt like it to me!), 15 minutes I started to come out of it. The sweats came back. I sat there for about 5 more minutes and stood up and felt OK. My wife looked like she was about to pass out now! She was a trooper. She did and said all the right things. I think she had designs on kicking the stuffing out of the Dr. I wish they would have given us a bit of a warning that this might happen. They told my wife "oh this happens all the time" By the time I walked out the front door I felt fine. My insides were a bit shaky but I well enough to drive. All in all a "fun"day!

They told us it was the Vasovagal Response. The vagus nerve runs from your head through your abdomen and when they did the fill, (I'm guessing) they cut off its circulation. They said it's common, but neither of us remember them saying anything about it. Just that he may feel lightheaded. That's an understatement!

Any one else have this responce?

No... but then again, they don't fill us all the way. I got 4ccs, no scope, no freezing spray the first time. 2 the second time - and they backed out 1 at the same visit. And then one the last time. Every time I go, they pull out everything, but I have never had it completely filled.

Wow. Glad to hear all is better. I don't think my Dr does anything with a scope and barium.... just freezes and injects. IS that normal? Do they always do the scope/barium???

i haven't had my first fill you just scared the crap outta me

14 ccs to close your stoma??? Did I read that right? 14 ccs--then trying to have you swallow barium? I have never heard of a doctor doing that! Even just as a test, before withdrawing Fluid to an appropriate fill level.

(ETA: I just read your profile, and Dr. Curry has a really excellent reputation as a surgeon--but wow. Is his group doing your fills, too? I am really surprised at this approach.)

To those who have not yet had fills, please don't be scared--this is NOT TYPICAL. Most doctors start out with conservative fills. Even if they use fluoroscopy, they do not close the stoma, then observe as they remove Fluid. Rather, they put a conservative amount in, observe the flow of barium through the stoma, then add/remove a tiny bit as needed.

My first fill--and all subsequent fills--have been non-events. A swipe of an alcohol swab, a needlestick, infusion of a reasonable amount of saline. Then, the doctor observes, fluoroscopically, as I swallow barium--and if he believes a little more/less saline would be best, he adjusts.

That's it! No biggie.

Edited by BetsyB

Never an experience like that in 18 months of being banded. My doctor is conservative and doesn't give huge fills.

I do know about the vasovagal response, but never had it happen to me with a fill.

This is a very scary story and not all the experience I had! The nurse had some trouble finding my port with the needle but I only got 4 cc's in my first fill. I did have a odd clenching sensation where the band was when I first stood up but nothing AT ALL like the thread starter mentioned. Do not stress out that YOU will have the same reaction.

They put in 4ccs with the 1cc existing for a total of 5cc.

I haven't had a fill yet, but now I am scared. I go the 17th. What is the flourscopy and x-rays people were talking about. I wonder how my Dr. does it. Now I am so worried. Is the common fill just freeze spray then fill? I sure hope so :smile2:

I don't think that most doc do fills that way so I hope everyone's not getting too scared. That was an extreme way to do a fill.

Wow! I only get a needle and a cup of Water. No freezing spray, no flouro, no barium.

It does seem very extreme. The newbies should NOT be scared. That is not a typical approach to fills.

I haven't had a fill yet, but now I am scared. I go the 17th. What is the flourscopy and x-rays people were talking about. I wonder how my Dr. does it. Now I am so worried. Is the common fill just freeze spray then fill? I sure hope so :smile2:

Fluoroscopy is a type of xray, it allows the doctor to see the stomach and band and the patient drinks a type of dye that is opaque to xrays (radiopaque dye).. usually barium. The dye shows up as white and the stomach as darker.

Not all doctors use fluoro. Not all doctors fill the band completely and then back off. Granted, I don't know all there is about banding, but this is the first time I've heard of this method in 18 months of being on support groups. If you are concerned, please call the staff at your doctor's office and ask questions before you go in.

My doctor uses ultrasound SOMETIMES to locate the port and that's all. I've never even needed a freezing spray. It's not painful. Just a tiny stick. I've always received my fills lying down, so if I should have an adverse reaction, there's no where to fall. ::grin:: Sometimes they have me do a little mini-crunch (situp) to bring the port nearer the surface. Since I've lost weight (I was SMO super morbidly obese), they haven't even needed the ultrasound machine.

I do understand being apprehensive about the first fill. I was too and asked everyone who would listen, including pharmacists, about numbing medication. The first time was a little ouchy, because I was still sore from surgery, but not bad .. and I'm not good with needles at all.

Please call your bariatric professionals tomorrow, or go to support group before your fill appointment and talk about your fears. It will help.

i haven't had my first fill you just scared the crap outta me

I have only had one fill and never had any sort of scope or barium. My doctor used a needle for a local anesthetic (ask for it) and honest to Pete, the 2nd needle (for the actual fill) was in, and I only knew it when I felt the pressure of the needle wobbled a bit when the doctor turned to get a wipe as I had a drop on blood to dap. I literally had NO pain with that anesthetic. He even tapped the port with the needle and asked if I could hear the port. Very neat! After removing the needle after my fill, I sat up and drank some Water. Since the water caught in my throat a bit, we started all over so the doctor could remove a bit of saline (I was a bit too full) and still no pain.

If you are nervous and want a local...ask! You are paying him! Good luck!!!

Edited by kab1278

Wow! I only get a needle and a cup of Water. No freezing spray, no flouro, no barium.

It does seem very extreme. The newbies should NOT be scared. That is not a typical approach to fills.

This is how mine are done as well.