Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Double Check EVERYTHING

In 21 hours, 28 minutes, 45 seconds I will be banded. That's what I thought until I called the hospital to check on what I need to bring with me and if I really needed to be there at 5:30am for 7:30am surgery. According to them One hour before surgery was what they required. She suggested I call my doc to see why they were telling me 2 hours.

Big shock when I called doc and found out the my surgery was changed to 11:30am. Like when were they going to let me know? My guess was when I arrived at the hospital at 5:30am tomorrow morning.

So a word to the wise - DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING!

Also, if you are still in the pre op testing stage REQUEST A COPY OF ALL TEST RESULTS. I started a small binder with pocket dividers labeled food journal, insurance, test results, progress charts, miscellaneous. This has been very helpful keeping everything in one place and I can easily keep on top of things. I saved myself time and money as well. My doctor had me get a HIDA Scan because of gullstone and then return in 1 week. The day before my appointment I was in his office for weekly visit with phyc. doctor and asked if I really needed to see surgeon the next day because I had 2 days eariler gotten a copy of the HIDA Scan that stated gullbladder was fine. The surgeon had not received his copy of the the report and I was able to whip it out and give it to him. NO NEED TO SEE HIM THE NEXT DAY.

Great advise, thanks! And good for you for double checking and being so organized!

Great advice, particularly for the lab tests.

My doc couldn't find the report for my pre-op pregnancy test. There I am in my hospital gown in pre-op and they tell me this. I called the lab myself and had them fax over the report to the hospital.

You are absolutely right....Check everything yourself, no one else will!

Cindy

Now the rest of the story. Arrived at the hospital yesterday at 9:30am for my 11:30 surgery time. Only to be rushed along. Why you ask? Because my surgery time on the schedule is 10:30. It seems to me that somethings must be tripled checked.

Just to let you know I am feeling really good. Hospital sprang me around 4:00pm. I feel reall, really sor but could not really call it pain. Have not had to take ANY meds so far. I was really nervus about the pain before surgery but to be honest I had a personal trained work me over once and I was in more pain that lasted 5 days. Compaired to that workout this surgery was nothing. And I am a real baby when it comes to pain.

OR schedules are really fluid--there are always emergencies and/or cancellations. These pop up unexpectedly, and just are part of the fun B)

I didn't know what time to be at the hospital until the day before. I was working the day before my surgery, so I was trying to work and trying to play phone tag with the nurse at the hospital. It was very frustrating. I wish I had knew a little more ahead of time than just the day before.

Oh don't I know it. You would think a fax machine would be reliable but it took me over a month to get paperwork where I assume it needs to be finally. Everyone blames their fax machines. It's annoying. I was irritated.

I work nights so I am working that night before the surgery. I am getting off at 6am, in hospital by 7am, surgery at 8am. It all sounds a little bit too goo to be true. But you never know. I guess it all depends on the hospital.

So nervous.