Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out?

I have been banded for a total of 10 months and have only eaten out 3 times all of those times were with people who have not been banded nore do they know anything about it. Well all 3 experiences was terrible. The first time was with my favorite food before band (ribs) I haven't touched them since it got stuck so bad. So months later I decided to eat out again thinking I would chose to eat fish something I know I don't have a problem with and that was terrible I had to keep getting up from the table to go to the bathroom thinking it would pass or it was going to come back up and it finally passed about the third trip to the restroom which was kind of embarrising because I was thinking what are people thinking when they see me constantly going to the restroom. Well I get over that experience and had to take the rest home in a doggy bag which I couldn't eat anyway so that was a waste. So about five days later I went with at friend to a chinese restaurant I have never had a problem there before either and it happend again this time the food came back up. I think my problem is by time I take three bites my friend is through with her food and she is just sitting there so I try to hurry up and that is not good for me. Has anyone had experiences like this while eating out or am I the only one?

Already in 4 days I've had to resist the urge to hurry several times. As I'm on liquid that means gulp the rest of my shake, coffee, juice, whatever I'm drinking. People are waiting for me and I'm slow slow slow.

For me eating out is about social contact - I mean the food's great but I've accepted that no longer for me can it be as important as it was. If I sit at the table and sip a glass of wine and get through 1/3 of it and eat 3 bits of whatever I've paid for (doggy bags are against the law in Australia), then I dont care. I'd rather catch up with my friends than miss out alltogether. But I guess I'll be choosing very very very carefully.

I'd imagine when your out too you need to remind yourself to concentrate very hard on what you're eating as its easy to get carried up in the conversation and forget about it.

I have no intention of giving up my social life and I"m glad I have supportive friends and family, nobody is going to mind me eating like a sparrow. They all know.

We eat out quite a bit. I've had one bad experience early on, when I tried to eat Pasta (couldn't chew it up enough and then it expanded), but other than that, I've gotten along pretty well.

One thing I do to help give me more time, is order my food to come out when my husband's entree (appetizer) comes out. That way I can get a good head start on him. I also usually just order an entree sized portion, as I know that'll be all I can eat.

Tamiko, Sorry to hear about your bad experinces.

But come on, eating ribs, then why get the band in the first place. I mean you got it to limit your food intake not to go out and about eating ribs and drinking beer:)

Anyhow, that begs another question, what happens when the food get stuck, I mean does it go down after a while? does it hurt? does it come out in a form of vomit? Would it ever stick there for few days/weeks??

I didn't get my band yet, but once I do, I'm sure all the SWEET New England restaurant that I like to eat in would be something from the past.

Best of luck again, and chew the ribs well next time:)

I find that eating out can be tough because I get caught up in talking with my friends and forget to eat slowly. Who cares if the person you are with eats fast? Their problem. Honey, you take ALL the time you need! (by the way, no one knows I'm banded either)

To make eating out work, you have to make smart choices in your food. Shoot, I doubt I could make ribs work eating super slowly and being calm. Yeah, that's just something that's not going to go down.

Another good trick is to order hot tea before your food so that the warmth will open you up a little and make it easier when the food gets there.

Choices I've had success with are lettuce wraps, Soup and asian bowls (I don't eat the rice). Look at the appetizer menu, the best banster choices are usually there.

It's ALL about planning ahead. If you know where you are going, check to see if their menu is posted on the web and make your food choices before you get there.

I think you're having so much trouble because you are picking some of the hardest foods to get through the band. I had my first PB on a rib before I even had a fill, so I would never try them in a restaurant.

I eat out all the time. I usually order Soup and an appetizer or a side salad. It's definitely an adjustment eating so slowly, but if you take your time and stay away from your trouble foods you'll be fine.

I am a little over 6 months banded and eat out 2-6 times a week. Since I have given up alot of socializing, visiting and eating is my new social life. I have not gotten ill when eating out (although it has happened at home).

Some tricks I use - the warm tea, a glass of wine, or any hot drink does tend to relax the band. Just be careful not to overeat. I don't bother to eat salads since I usually need the Protein and want to make sure I get it in. If they have a broth Soup, I sip a little of the broth but leave most of it.

I tend to eat fish alot. It goes down easy, is easier to chew, more forgiving if you disobey the rules, etc. I always use a sauce with it - tartar, cocktail, etc. I know that adds calories but it does help it go down easier.

I am also learning which of my friends I can eat with easier. The people who know I have the band tend to practice my habits - chewing, eating slower, smaller bites, etc. I don't know if its because they are being nice (which I assume) or they just are trying to imitate me (without their having a band).

Some of the friends that practice my habits make it really easy for me to eat out. I have a few that I am comfortable eating a hamburger (skip the bun) or steak with. And those things take concentration.

If you are uncomfortable eating out (because of past experiences), I would go to the places that you eat at with your friends alone. Order something and find a meal that works for you. Then you will have a meal that works when you are with them. It may take a few trys but it will be worth it.

Hope this helps some. Celeste

Hi, I noticed ribs are touchy. Here's why - part of what is so delicious about ribs are the little bits of tender fat. We tend (well, at least I do) to chew quickly, and enjoy the sensation of those little bits of fat going down, just like the old days. Problem is, a little tiny bit of fat is enough to get us stuck if we are tight.

Over the weekend, I enjoyed meeting with almost a half a dozen different friends in different restaurants as my wife and I travelled to another city to spread some Christmas cheer. What I decided to do was to not focus on enjoying the food, but rather, focus on not getting sick in front of my friends.

I succeeded in not getting sick in public. How? I always ate something warm first. Tea with Breakfast, Soup with dinner. You get the idea. I also mostly moved my food around, and ate perhaps only 1/3 of each serving.

Focusing mostly on fish, and other things that are known to go down easily.

I also drank little sips of warm liquid or Water, swished around in my mouth to get it warm before going down.

Was it good bandster behavior? Not, not necessarily.

Did I get through it? Yes.

The goal was to enjoy time with our friends and to not make a scene. I would have enjoyed a little more food and a lot more satiety, but it was OK. Instead, we had fun with our friends.

I can't claim to be succcessful always. I still PB about 20-30% of the time at a restaurant when its just me and my family. The kids, the pace, the noise, the rush, all add up. Still working on getting it right, and I am sure that it will all work itself out.

What I noticed is this: our peers, and in particular, the servers at the restaurants just expect people to eat at a "normal" pace. They will often come up and with a furrowed brow, they will say "is everything all right with your food?" as we take our time eating. I just say "yes, its lovely. I am just enjoying my food" - (as compared to being a little piggy and sucking it down quickly at a pace to please them.)

We are there for ourselves, and not to satisfy the timing requirements of the servers.

It's hard. But what we are getting out of it is so worth it.

Good luck!

Best, Brad

I eat out at least every other day, I know by now what goes down and stays down. A safe order for me is Soup, (without potatoes) and salad, and most important, small, well chewed bites. Every now and then I will go too long without eating and it will happen, but for the most part soup and salad will work.

Do a test run on a few foods from your favorite place, preferably with someone who knows you've been banded.

Keep in mind the pb possibility is always there, so be particular about what your chose.

Can somebody tell me why wait staff at restaurants don't leave leave , "no, I won't have anything to drink" alone? They insist you have Water, tea, something...arghh!

I have found that applebees has a great weight watchers menu, they are smaller portions, and low calories high protien. They are good to.

We all made this choice in our life to get banded do not let people ruin the goal we have for ourselves and that is to get healthy and to loss weight. It is hard, but if they can not handle it, just do not go out to eat with them. Harsh I know, but we paid allot of money and pain just to go back to normal habits,

Today I scheduled lap band surgery for 1/12/06.

And I've seen more disheartening things on the boards today than I have in the many months that I've been researching it.

From these posts it sounds like with the band it's more of a bother to eat than not eat.

Does anyone enjoy there food anymore - what little there is of it?

What if we are hot and sweaty and we want to drink a nice cold drink - can we not drink it down? Will it take 1/2 hour to "get through" it? Like it's some kind of punishment.

Are we reduced to nothing but sliming, burping and barfing in front of our loved ones?

I thought I had it all figured out and that this was my last chance at a regular - maybe even slim, energetic life - but now I'm wondering if I've been lead down the proverbial path to destruction.

Help!

Patti

Dont feel that way I still am eating, just not as much. The key to the band is it tells you when you are going to be in trouble for you to regonize stopping sooner. I still can drink ice cold or hot without a problem. Don't feel like this is a bad situtation we all react different but we are all here to achieve the same goal lose weight and be healthy.

You are going to do great in your surgery and post, just remeber life change, not life is dead :)

When Jon and I go out for dinner I eat at my own pace, but I've already come to the conclusion that eating out does not equal full for me since I take so much longer. I eat about 5-10 minutes longer than him while his food settles and he pays the check. I tend not to take too long because who wants to sit there and watch someone else eat for a long time? My meals usually take at minimum 20 minutes - 30 minutes becaue I take tiny bites and chew well. He's usually done in 10 minutes - its amzaing how much you pay attention to how everyone eats soooooo fast! A good thing that works for us is getting the Soup, salad & breadsticks at Olive Garden that way he has plenty of refills while I work on mine and it works very well. More solid foods take me longer to eat but I can get salad down just fine.

The band is not a magic bullet to make us lose weight without an honest effort. In all of my research, I never expected it to be "easy". There are trials and tribulations as with any weight loss journey.

I always order Water w/lemon in a to go cup or at the end of the meal, I will ask for a to go cup, ummmm, that was is so good, good and cold, a splash of lemon and a dash of swt n low, just like crystal lite.

Whether the pb, burping, and farting are worth it to you is for you to decide, but when I look in the mirror and I like what I see, for the first time in many years...yeah, it is oh so worth it.