Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

within healthy weight range??

Hi Everyone~

I am just wondering from those of you who have been banded already......

I think I have read somewhere that "lapbanders" are only expected to lose something like 60% - 70% of the weight they need to lose. (In comparison to GBP which % of weight loss is higher - initially.)

I guess my question is....after having the procedure, are you now within a healthy weight range (no longer reading overweight or more on the dreaded charts)? I've been considering lapband surgery for a long time now, and want to make sure I can get back into the healthy range!

Thanks so much for your input!!

I have never seen that statistic, but I know many bandsters who have lost all the weight, and kept it off. If that statistic is true, it is due to user error. It is just important to keep in mind that the band is not a miracle, or a cure all. It is a weight loss TOOL. You still have to make healthy choices and exercise. I think many people forget that. I have not had the band for very long (almost 3 weeks), but I started the process about 6 weeks ago. So far, I have lost 30 pounds (18 of which were on the pre-op diet). It is up to me, not the band, to be successful at this process. And it is a process. I am still struggling with mental hunger (I'm not literally hungry...there are just triggers out there that make me think I need to eat). I just sit down, have a glass of Water and think about myself at the beach next summer! Best of luck to you. I know I made the right choice for me. I hope all goes well with you.

I think that # is accurate in general from everything I read as well and I agree with Amanda on the fact this it is 80% you and 20% the band...I think that is a big misconception out there. Iv been banded since July 30th and have lost 30lbs, Iv had only 1 fill and still not much restriction and its a struggle everyday to keep on the right path and stay positive. I was selfpay so I feel even more harder to make it work. No matter what I cant imagine I would ever regret my decision. Its really all in what you make it..I never got stuck on "statistics" the big thing I learned in this journey so far is that EVERYONE is different in how the band works from them from surgery to 1 year!! I know several people who had GB and even though they lost it alot faster and more weight they ended up gaining alot of it back after a couple years and I even though banded people can gain back too its a much slower process and it really teaches you good habits or should I say forces you into better habits:)

Hi Everyone~

I am just wondering from those of you who have been banded already......

I think I have read somewhere that "lapbanders" are only expected to lose something like 60% - 70% of the weight they need to lose. (In comparison to GBP which % of weight loss is higher - initially.)

I guess my question is....after having the procedure, are you now within a healthy weight range (no longer reading overweight or more on the dreaded charts)? I've been considering LAP-BAND® surgery for a long time now, and want to make sure I can get back into the healthy range!

Thanks so much for your input!!

I lost 100% of my excess weight in the 1st yr (105 lbs)

I have maintained that weight loss for 2 yrs now (even lost an additional 14 lbs by continuing my healthy eating & exercising) BMI was 42.9 now 23.3.

Those statics have to do with our additiction (food) not everyone can over come their addiction - I wanted to prove those statistics wrong - and I did !!!

75% of the work is up to you - eating healthy and exercise and the band is only a tool that helps 25% of the time once you get to your sweet spot..

This really is about making a lifetime lifestyle change in our eating and exercise habits - Eating "Our Normal" is what got us fat in the 1st place - it's not just the quainty we ate - it's the types of foods we ate - high fat/sugar...

Edited by IndioGirl55

I am not a statistic. :thumbup:

I still have a good ways to go to reach my goal.. and my goal (approx. 170) will still leave me overweight by most charts.

My thinking is

1) I've been obese long enough (20+ years) that my bones are likely heavier than the non-obese, therefore skewing the numbers.

2) I am post-menopausal, and therefore advisable to have a little (NOT a LOT) of extra padding on my hips to protect from hip fractures.

3) I have also shrunk 1/2 inch over the years, again skewing the numbers.

4) I am working on becoming an athlete (lifting weights 3x week, cardio 6x week, and am thinking of starting running) and athletes often have BMI's that show them as overweight or obese.

My surgeon showed charts & graphs at the seminar that showed that over 5 years, the results from RNY & banding were essentially the same. The RNY's lost faster, and for about 2 years then leveled out. The Banded rate of loss was slower and steadier and continued on past 2 years.

I think you can use the band as a tool to do whatever you want to do.

I've only been banded a couple of months but I was told with Lap Band you are expected to lose 100% of your excess weight as long as you do your part. With GBP I was told it's normal to regain 10-15% of the weight b/c the stomach will stretch a little bit.

I lost more than 100% to go well below the top of my healthy weight range.

I just lost until it stopped, i didnt set a particular goal.

I have also lost more than 100% of my excess weight. I am now sitting somewhere in the middle of the healthy weight range.