Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting .. Measuring .. Weighing ..

Lots of talk preop and 2 weeks post op of exactly how much of this how much of that. This weekend I move on to mushies then soft. Do people litterally keep a notebook of what they eat every day? Do you track Protein? calories? Fat? This is suddenly feeling very overwhelming and what felt very strict 2 weeks ago is suddenly a little less strict and scary.

I don't weigh, measure, or count anything. It is up to you if you want to do it that way. Many bandsters weigh, measure, count and journal every day and it works out great for them. I just find it too overwhelming and time consuming.

The first 2-3 weeks, I kept a notebook where I recorded my amounts of Protein and Water, just to make sure that I was getting enough in. Since then, I count nothing. I tried it a couple of times when I was in a plateau, but I don't find it useful, and it makes me crazy. Other people on here seem to thrive on the record-keeping, but I am not that person.

Cindy

I weigh all of my food and then use fitday.com or myfitnesspal.com which then gives me my calories, Protein levels, fat levels, carb count, etc. for each meal. I never thought I'd be one to do it but I've done it since day one and it doesn't take very long. It helps to keep me on track, especially when it comes to my calories and carbs.

Lots of talk preop and 2 weeks post op of exactly how much of this how much of that. This weekend I move on to mushies then soft. Do people litterally keep a notebook of what they eat every day? Do you track Protein? calories? Fat? This is suddenly feeling very overwhelming and what felt very strict 2 weeks ago is suddenly a little less strict and scary.

I kept a food diary for the 1st year (til I got to goal) I counted calories 800-1200 daily and varied them - I counted pt grams too and logged my exercise. I weighted and measured for the about 3 months till I could eye ball what 3-4 oz looked like - and I will still pull out scale even now when I'm not sure.. ..

I read lables - I know the calories of 99.9% of the foods I eat and what a correct portion size is I used these as learning tools- why - cuz that's why we got fat in the 1st place- eating 3000-4000 cal a day - Yes the band restricts your food intake once you get restriction - but even then you can eat 1/2 gallon of ice cream or 10 candy bars - or 5 cups of mashed potatoes with no problems/restriction as these are sliders

So imho - I think that learning what 4 oz looks like and not guessing is good - I think knowing that 1/2 cup of mac & cheese has approx 150 cal 11 grms pt 47 grms carbs..

Where as 4 oz of baked salmon has 140 cal - 23 grms pt 0 carbs & 1/4 cup spinach has about 20 cal -

food and activity tracking should be the first tools employed when you fail to meet your goals.

This is also about the only way to ensure you're getting all the nutrients your body needs. I was shocked to learn how vitamin/mineral deficient my diet was! By tracking and using a wonderful book called "The World's Healthiest Foods" by George Mateljan, I'm able to fill the holes in my diet and stay well-fueled.

Brad