Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am almost 8wks post-op. I lost 32lbs pre-op(10wks), gained 5lbs:ohmy:while I was in the hosp(3days) and I've lost about 25lbs post-op(8wks). I have not had any fill yet bcuz my weightloss has been steady.

Throughout this entire time I've had a serious love/hate relationship with my scale. I generally wake up, potty, then weigh myself. And I thought that was when my weight was suppose to be at its lowest, first thing in the morning. I often catch myself getting back on the scale several times during the day and watching my weight fluctuating a few lbs here & there. But recently I'm noticing that my wake-up weight has been greater then my weight later in the day:blush:. And now I am confused as to what my "true weight" is.

My BF has says that I am obsessed with the scale and he's even hid both of my house scales from me:angry:and I rip the house apart until I find at least one of them:tt2:. My doctor told me I should only be weighing myself in his office and never from home:thumbdown:. I just think he's nuts if he thinks I can wait that long without knowing what's going on.

I realize it's obvious that I am consistantly losing and that I should be proud of my accomplishmant so far. However, losing weight has never been my problem, it's keeping it off that's always been the problem. I keep waiting for that inevitable plateau & then the steady increase as my weight climbs back up into the danger zone.

Is it self-sabotage:eek:? Am I just torturing myself:scared2:? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

...Amy:tongue_smilie:

Edited by AmyC315

Put the scale in a hard to reach cabinet. Take it out once a week (for example on Monday morning), weigh yourself, then put the scale away. Accept that as your weight and don't make yourself crazy (this is 45 years of scale experience talking to you here).

The hell with the doctor's scale. What does it know?:thumbup:

I am a obsessed scale person two and when the scale shows me higher i kick it. i want to buy a new one. i weigh myself 3 times or more a day.

I am obsessed too! Over the past year I have weighed myself almost everyday and sometimes Morning, mid morning, and night. I tore up one scale for weighing so much it's off by 10lbs. I got a new one and I have tried not to step on it so much because I want this one to last but it's no use. By the way you do weigh less in the morning but not as soon as you get up because your body is heavy from laying down all night and it needs to adjust to gravity (now that's my theory)! LOL! It may sound crazy but I have tried it several times just to make sure. When I first get up I weigh myself and then I walk around and do things to get ready for the day and come back about 45min later and it's down at least a pound or more every time. I also weigh with no clothes, then I put on my weigh in clothes that I wear to the doctor's office to get the same number that I would get when I go for my fill. I make sure I wear that same outfit also. Yea, I got issues!!!

Self-proclaimed scale Whore here, too. I weigh myself every morning and not just once, but usually like four or five times until I seem to get a number that is consistent. (Because the darn thing never gives me the same number two times in a row)

But, I made my "official" weight day Monday mornings. I think if you do that, it makes it a bit better. So, you'll fluctuate during the week but one day a week it becomes "official". :thumbup:

When I found myself weighing myself multiple times a day, I said ENOUGH! Now I weigh myself once a week, on Saturday mornings.

Obsession and self-centeredness was part of the problem that got me into such a mess that I had to have this surgery. I'm not going to switch obsessions to the scale now.

If I have to be obsessed with something, it can be nutrition and exercise! *wink*

I've become a scale lover, too. I had it sitting in the kitchen for the first week that I bought it and was weighing myself everytime I walked by it! Now, it's in my bathroom and I weight twice a day---when I get up and before I go to bed. It's highest in the morning, it seems

For the most part I only weighed myself once a week, first thing in the morning. Now that I am mainaining I weigh in every day. If I gain 3 pounds or more I plan on doing something about it, probably go on liquids for a few days.

I weigh myself daily. I don't intend to change. Over time, the number becomes less important---observing my change in response to the scale has been really helpful to me. It has shown me that the emphasis on weight as a measure of worth is changing.

What jumps out at me about your post is not that you weigh yourself a lot, but rather that you have not had a fill because your loss is steady.

Why is that? Why is loss the only measure your doctor uses?

Are you feeling restriction? Or are you white-knuckling it? I lost steadily from the very beginning, but because I was dieting. The goal was to reach a point where I was losing steadily, but (while still mindful of amounts and quality of food) not feeling as though I was starving myself.

I bring this up, because my obsession with scale and numbers pretty much vanished when I reached that point.

I would talk with your doctor. If you have not had a fill, and are still stuck in the diet mentality---then you will have behaviors like the scale obsession that are part of that diet mentality.

Perhaps between the two of you you can reach a decision about how best to use your band so that you can let go of behaviors that are not working for you.

First off, many congrats on your weight loss! I'm a month out and I've been down a few pounds only to gain it back. I do weigh daily. I know if I got up off of my can and did some aerobics, I would drop the weight. You have inspired me. I get my first fill Oct. 4. Thanks for posting.

Yep I'm another scale whore. It was getting me so upset with the ups and downs another bandster advised me to put the blasted thing in the trunk of my car and only pull it out once a week. I took the advise and now 2 years out and at goal it sits in my bathroom and I only weigh once a month. It took putting it away to break the habit. I find it really amusing that people(self included) that once avoided the scale at all cost can't keep our butts off of it now. Some people weigh everyday and others like myself get to fustrated with the ups and downs so you really have to do what's best for you. Good Luck!!

scale whore right here! :rolleyes2: I weigh in the morning first thing post-potty. I typically weigh when I get home from work before I eat dinner, but I'm trying to get myself not to do that one. And I weigh right before I go to bed. I log my weight daily, but only "count" it on Mondays and I only change my ticker monthly.

I need statistics! Plus, I like to know how things affect me. After today, I know that Chinese food makes me retain Water and weigh higher. I wouldn't have known that if I didn't monitor it. I don't think I will change behavior because of it, but now I know.

Oh my god I am obsesses to with my scale. I weight my self in the morning and then in night with clothes an with out it. I've been with my surgery for 5 months and I have just lost 23 lbs and I expect for more.

Hi!

This is the precise reason I logged onto the boards this am. I'm only 10 days post op, lost 10lbs on my one week liquids, and have lost 16lbs total (liquid+post op) in 17 days. Yesterday, I felt as is if I ate too much. My hunger is back with voracity, and I'm having no problem with any soft foods going down. I have to stop myself way before I am full, and I'm freaking out a bit. The first week post-op I had no appetite. I feel like I don't know how much I should be eating (since I have no restriction). I am 1.8lbs "heavier" than yesterday. Unfortunately, instead of letting it roll off my back, I totally freaked out. It's only 8am and my day has started off so badly because of the damn scale.

N

Once again, I am not alone! I am addicted to weighing daily too. I use the wii fit to weigh. ITS AWESOME because it keeps track of your weight and BMI. I have had it for almost 2 years and can see the rollercoaster I was on before the band 5 1/2 weeks ago. There is a graph and I love looking at it. You can also set goals for yourself and it tells you how many pounds you have until you reach your goal. I dont think I'll ever give up my love for the wii fit. It definitely keeps me grounded and on track.