Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a large 14cc AP band - and did not have proper restriction until my last fill 3 days ago - 7 months after my operation.

Now I feel I have the proper restriction, but am worried about eating too little, and being unable to lose weight as a consequence.

I am having every day:

2 boiled eggs: total 166 calories

1 large banana: 115 calories

1 special K Cereal bar: 89 calories

2 baked potatoes with some cheese on: a supermarket packet for the microwave, a total of 460 calories of the two

Actually I have to eat the 2 baked potatoes in stages, as they are too much for me.

That's 830 calories, plus as many cups of coffee as I want, with semiskimmed milk and 2 sugars

I am probably getting 1000 calories a day. But it feels enough.

Now I have found something that seems to be working, I aim to eat the same thing everyday, however boring. Am I getting enough Vitamins? the banana is fruit and the egg is Protein?

Thanks: I am a 330 lb man, so the above would seem to be a small diet?

If it fills you up and your losing weight then it should be fine. are you taking a mutli-vitamin?

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

no - I'm not taking Vitamins - maybe I should.

It's great to no longer need too much food. I used to buy cereal bar packs, and eat all 6 bars in one go, as a snack. Now 1 is enough and I wouldn't want to eat the whole pack!

my dr recommends 1000 calories a day. also Vitamins. do you eat any other protien besides that? most people are to have 60-80 grams of it a day. what about any other meat or veggies?

It seems like all the US bandsters are told to get lots of Protein - but The Hospital Group in England has never mentioned the subject to me...

It seems like all the US bandsters are told to get lots of Protein - but The Hospital Group in England has never mentioned the subject to me...

Yeah were big on Protein here in the US it helps prevent fatigue, hair loss and helps keep you feeling full longer.

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

You need 60-70 grams of proitein a day. My doctor makes me take 2 flinstone Vitamins a day and a Calcium pill. I on my own take an Iron pill every other day, a chewable Vitamin C, and 3 hair loss prevention pills.

YOU are doing an awesome job with cutting back the food significantly but you will be less hungry if you eat more Protein. I carry beef jerkey around for random hunger attacks and one to two ounces helps. Protien is the key, once you unlock the door you will be satisfied and happy!

Edited by BeachBabe

In Aus we don't focus on Protein either. We focus on a normal balanced diet. The required 70 - 80g of Protein are easily obtained from normal eating as even "non-protein" foods contain protein. Foods such as bread, oats etc all have protein in.

If you are able to eat a balanced diet it makes it easier to fit in with other people and it makes it feel less like a diet.

I got banded so I could eat like a "normal' person(whatever that might be). If i had been told that I would need to follow a modified Atkins diet after banding I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I don't eat lots of potato, rice etc but I do still eat them. And I always have a slice of wholemeal toast with my egg in the morning.

I have a large 14cc AP band - and did not have proper restriction until my last fill 3 days ago - 7 months after my operation.

Now I feel I have the proper restriction, but am worried about eating too little, and being unable to lose weight as a consequence.

I am having every day:

2 boiled eggs: total 166 calories

1 large banana: 115 calories

1 special K cereal bar: 89 calories

2 baked potatoes with some cheese on: a supermarket packet for the microwave, a total of 460 calories of the two

Actually I have to eat the 2 baked potatoes in stages, as they are too much for me.

That's 830 calories, plus as many cups of coffee as I want, with semiskimmed milk and 2 sugars

I am probably getting 1000 calories a day. But it feels enough.

Now I have found something that seems to be working, I aim to eat the same thing everyday, however boring. Am I getting enough Vitamins? the banana is fruit and the egg is Protein?

Thanks: I am a 330 lb man, so the above would seem to be a small diet?

I am sorry....but you are not eating enough protein...You need to get at least 60grams of Protein in everyday!! It is so important that you receive all of your nutrients. Otherwise, you can end up malnourished. Not enough protein in 2 eggs, and eggs are high in cholesterol. Try eating a yoplait greek yogurt....12g protein and 130 calories, no fat. Try some chicken....very high in protein. But I would definitely not continue eating what you are eating everyday....if you have questions about your food intake maybe you should consult your surgeon's office! I also drink Protein shakes....30g

Good luck to you.....:thumbup:

I am sorry....but you are not eating enough Protein...You need to get at least 60grams of Protein in everyday!! It is so important that you receive all of your nutrients. Otherwise, you can end up malnourished. Not enough protein in 2 eggs, and eggs are high in cholesterol. Try eating a yoplait greek yogurt....12g protein and 130 calories, no fat. Try some chicken....very high in protein. But I would definitely not continue eating what you are eating everyday....if you have questions about your food intake maybe you should consult your surgeon's office! I also drink Protein shakes....30g

Good luck to you.....:thumbup:

Thank you for the suggestion - yes I'll have to vary my diet more and I'll try the yoplait yoghurt. I will try chicken, but now I have been filled very tight, I am worried about eating anything that is not diced very small indeed...

the baked potatoes are a crazy waste of calories. almost half your intake on something that is high carb and lacking in Protein? not a smart choice. and as for those of us focusing on Proteins being on a "modified Atkins diet", we do it because it works. i too eat a slice of fortified whole wheat toast with my eggs in the am, but have cut way back on my carbs as well as my calories and it has unlocked the door to weightloss for me. i haven't had a fill yet and am not yet resytricted so everything i have lost is straight up do to diet and exercise. i focus on lean meats and other high Protein foods as the mainstay of my diet, eat my vegetables, and avoid carbs and sugars. sure, other foods have some protein in them, but focusing on high protein foods helps keep me full longer and feeds my body as i exercise. it works. i don't feel any need to "mainstream" my diet to fit in with others if what i am eating works for me.

i do take daily multi-Vitamins as well, and would recommend it to anyone on a weight loss regimen.

Edited by jasonweinberg

the baked potatoes are a crazy waste of calories. almost half your intake on something that is high carb and lacking in Protein? not a smart choice. and as for those of us focusing on Proteins being on a "modified Atkins diet", we do it because it works. i too eat a slice of fortified whole wheat toast with my eggs in the am, but have cut way back on my carbs as well as my calories and it has unlocked the door to weightloss for me. i haven't had a fill yet and am not yet resytricted so everything i have lost is straight up do to diet and exercise. i focus on lean meats and other high Protein foods as the mainstay of my diet, eat my vegetables, and avoid carbs and sugars. sure, other foods have some protein in them, but focusing on high protein foods helps keep me full longer and feeds my body as i exercise. it works. i don't feel any need to "mainstream" my diet to fit in with others if what i am eating works for me.

i do take daily multi-Vitamins as well, and would recommend it to anyone on a weight loss regimen.

???? you said you do not have restriction, so your modified Atkins diet is just that - an Atkins diet. But I am looking for food that works well with the band and makes me feel full for a long time - the advice I have got in England is on what foods to eat that are the right texture - not runny foods, but solid foods - and that baked potatoes are just the right sort of thing to make you feel full for a long time with a band with proper restriction. If I wanted to go on an Atkins diet, I would not have been banded. The point is what food works well with the band, and of course I need to get nutrients and Vitamins too. A lot of these protein foods are just the right stuff to get stuck in your band. I can't eat tuna - it just sits there in my pouch - it doesn't make me feel full, it just makes me think there is something in my stomach that is never going to be digested. chicken - I am worried it will get stuck.

It sounds like you could use more Protein. What about slipping a Protein Shake in there somewhere or actually eating cereal with milk instead of the bar. OR put some Peanut Butter on your bar. I think a man needs a bit more calories/protein than what you're eating. My concern is that you'll get bored eating the same thing all the time. Why two baked potatoes? Why not one and some other protein with it? Beans are a great source of protein and if you get the Heinz Veg. Beans there is less fat/calories than the others.

But I think it's great that you have some structure, that always helps for sure. Good Luck!!

I'm sorry...I read the entire thread and am laughing at my US colleagues here. Did you not see his post (and the post from Aus) about the fact that their doctor doesn't encourage a certain amount of Protein? WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP POSTING THAT HE NEEDS MORE Protein? !

I, like you, don't choose to see this as a diet of any sort - I eat what I want, but in smaller portions. I'm IN the USA and I don't stick to a protein rule...funny, I've lost nearly 80 pounds in the 8 months since my LapBand surgery. Guess I must be doing something right?

Also, I understand what you're saying about not getting enough calories = no weight loss. My band was too tight for the better part of the last three months and my weight loss stalled dramatically because I simply wasn't eating ENOUGH (weird concept, eh?). If you find that your weight loss is stalling, force yourself to add some yogurt, apple sauce...even a milkshake (loaded with calories) just to see if the shake up in calories will help jump start the weight loss again.

Either way you go? I wouldn't recommend eating the exact, same things every day...regardless of what foods you choose, that IS a diet, in essence. Find things that work with your band, but stay within a calorie range that keeps you losing. It's not easy science, but our body gets bored on eating the same foods day in, day out, just like we do. I'm at a very tight 9.0cc in a 14.0cc band and there are many foods that don't work for me anymore - but there are plenty that do :thumbup: