Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What and how much do you eat?

Hi Guys,

Those of you who are on your weight loss track - I'm just wondering how much food you intake each day, and what kind of foods you eat..

I haven't lost any weight since my surgery (6 weeks ago now) and am going for my fourth fill this afternoon. I can still eat a lot! And I want to eat a lot because less doesn't fill me up. My doctor says the "sweet spot" will come - but I don't know how much my sweet spot should be. Could anyone share with me how much food their sweet spot is? How much fills you up, and has it been condusive to weight loss? Did anybody else experience weeks of no weight loss after the surgery?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi, I had surgery onJuly 30 so we are about the same. Iv had one fill and barly felt a difference. I still have a pretty big appetite. A typical day for me right now until I get more restriction is a weight watcher Breakfast sandwich, usually lunch will be about a cup to cup and half of food..like today I had 5 shrimp and a cup of brown rice and broccoli, 5 pretzel crackers for snack and for dinner I made chicken chili and I had about 1 cup. I also drink about 40oz of Water a day...I wouldnt survive off a half a cup of food at a sitting yet..I found that if I eat Protein like straight chicken breast I get fuller faster and stay full longer so I try to do mostly protein, which is what your suppose to do anyway.I still have my hungry times during the day and I wish I was one of the lucky ones who had restriction right away or after the 1st fill!! some days I eat a little more and somedays a little less but on average I am at 3 meals a day at least a cup per meal and usually snack once or twice on something. Hang in there it is tough at times but hopefully our sweet spot will come soon!

I am at sweet spot and losing regularly but very tight(which is the way it should truly be)

I did just have an adjustment on Monday though but prior was still pretty tight but could eat more than I can today.

I had a cup if tea this morning because I have a cold, but usually a cup of low carb yogurt with a sprinkle of something in it and I usually cant finish it all

I had a muscle milk light for lunch because I was in a rush (I teach)

I came back when I could actually concentrate on eating so I wouldnt fast and get stuck.....I had a cheese stick and a pepperoni stick as a snack

I had a banana a few hours later(hungrier in the afternoon) plus I hadnt had many carbs today.

I went to a grad class this evening and had a small bag of baked lays

I just ate dinner which was 2 teaspoons of homemade hummus with a couple of wheat thins.

That's it.

B:Yesterday a half cup of yogurt with a sprinkle of cheerios

L:chicken broth and a piece of ham lunchmeat

D: Homemade chicken Soup, maybe a half cup.

1/2 cup of ice cream

My doctor said that I should not be eating over 4 oz at any time at goof restriction which is the equivalent of 2 Dixie cups..and right now I am bloated at that, so I am happy Im not as hungry. I have 9cc in my Realize. I have lost 62 in 8 months or 48.8 of my excess. Prior to Monday though, I was eating way more but still losing, but I worked out hard. I still work out but I have a new dr who seems to be more aggressive(which I actually appreciate) My other dr though the best was way more conservative and I was ready to kick it up a notch.

My average day at the moment, this was yesterday

breakfast: a quarter cup of a high fibre Cereal, with half a sliced banana and about half a cup of milk, a half a piece of wholegreain toast (thin) with vegemite.

Lunch: a bowl of home made pea and ham Soup

snack, a skinny cappucino and half a small piece of cake (shared with my mum).

dinner: thai tuna patties and salad (I had one pattie, would mash to about half a cup size and about a cup of a lettuce based salad).

I probably eat no more than a cups worth of food at a time, depending what it is, salad I can eat more of.

that's a very typical day for me. Breakfast almost always carb based, lunch most often a good soup containing legumes or pulses or a salad with a Protein in it, dinner can be absolutely anything but most often home cooked from scratch involving Protein and vegies. I usually skip the rice or Pasta at dinner if I'm serving it to my family. I put it on my plate so that it looks normal and satisfying but I leave it till last and barely ever eat it.

Do not eat until you are totally full. Count your calories and do not go over 1200 calories even if you can eat more.

Breakfast

coffee and oatmeal or egg whites scrambled

snack Protein fruit drink and a few peaces of beef jerkey

lunch

can of tuna or shrimp with coctail sauce or egg salad with crackers

dinner

one cup of turkey taco Soup

A cup of food each meal with 2 Snacks to keep my calories up.

Morning snack: Protein Bar or 1/2-3/4 cup fruit

Breakfast: Egg beaters w/ turkey sausage

Lunch: 4oz dense Protein + 1/2 cup veggies

Snack: fruit again or veggies

Dinner: salad, usually 4oz chicken to go with it.

Sweet spot or no, I've pretty much eaten the same stuff all along--at first, it was a struggle, because I was, indeed, quite hungry. But now it's no biggie. What I'm about to type will seem incredibly restrictive--I actually get a good variety by choosing different foods within the parameters. I've also "technically" reached 75 percent of excess weight lost (I say "technically" because my goal is lower than my doctor's), so I'm allowed to add in grains and starches; because I want to lose more than my doctor has targeted for me, I do this very, very sparingly, and instead stick with the basic plan that's worked for me all along:

Breakfast, lunch, Dinner: 2-5 ounces Protein (usually just short of 3 oz), 1/2 cup nonstarchy veg, sometimes a fruit

Early morning, evening: a warm Protein shake (to help dissolve my Vitamin capsules and bump my Protein level up)

Between meals: veggies, occasionally cheese

Before I hit my sweet spot, my protein portions were larger than they are now (usually right at 5 oz., whereas I can only hold about 2.6 oz. of dense protein at a go now), but otherwise, my basic plan of attack has been the same all along.

Yes, it sounds tedious and monotonous, but I eat a wide variety of things prepared a wide variety of ways, and feel completely non-deprived and--even better--healthy.

I have great restriction, but I can still eat more than 1 1/2 cups of food at a sitting so I am going in for a fill on monday. However, I am losing about 2 lbs a week so i am pretty happy and this is what I eat.

B: 2 eggs, 2 tky sausage patties

L: 2 frozen ckn patties with lite ranch

D: varies, but usually a meat (meatloaf, ckn, italian sausage) a small portion of carb (wheat couscous, smashed cauliflower) and a green veggie.

I will eat, if I need a snack, string cheese, nuts, or a protien bar. At night I will almost always eat a sugarfree popsicle or Jello.

It sounds like I have this all figured out, but I did TERRIBLE before I got restriction. I gained a few lbs post surgery b/c i could eat anything and lots of it.

I can remember reading about what people ate and how it sounded so simple and how hard it was for me at the time. It is a process but one day you wake up and you realize that you ate GREAT all week and you didnt even notice. It is a fantastic feeling and you will get there.

i had my surgery on monday the 13th. i barely can finish a shake. so i have about 2 shakes a day and some applesace. i stay full for a while. i have lost 2 lbs every day.

A typical day:

Breakfast - Atkins bar and left over fruit off my kids' plates

snack - large iced skim latte

lunch - Tomato Soup

Snack - a Greek yogurt

dinner - big piece of salmon with dill sauce (waaay more than a cup of food)

Dessert - some fruit and a Weight Watchers dessert thing.

I wish I could get rid of the Protein bar and the Weight Watchers dessert in the name of good health. I haven't really tried, but I intend to one of these days!