Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have come to the conclusion that I am lactose intolerant right now. I wasn't before surgery, which kind of bums me out, but maybe it will go away. Has anyone else dealt with this?

My real question is that I now have to have soy Protein because the whey upsets my stomach. Do you know of any good ones, I got the GNC brand vanilla flavor and it tastes terrible. I added half a banana so that I could manage to get it down. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Have you tried a soy milk? I used to drink Soy Slender (or something like that in Chocolate) and very cold it wasn't bad. Low in carbs and I believe very similar to skim milk in Protein. As far as being lactose intolerant, have you tried Lactaid or some other OTC med for this? I'm thinking Lactaid is a chewable, but not certain.

Before you swear off any dairy, you may want to try and see if that helps. I know some whey powders would upset me also, but I use the unjury Protein and have no trouble. If you don't want to mix with milk, get the unflavored and mix with Crystal Light lemonade, the taste is very good.

Just some suggestions, but as far as a soy alternative without a whey component, I have no answers other than the soy milk. They all have a seemingly different taste so you may want to try a few different ones or ask for more input. Good luck!

Unjury is good about samples. You can order their sample pack and see what works for you. It is whey, which I also can't tolerate but Lactaid does come in chewable form. I swear by that- soy doesn't have nearly the same Protein as whey.

I've been advised against using too much soy as it's got estrogen in it. My mom and great grandma had breast cancer and the cancer was estrogen receptive. Also, I noticed when I did use soy Protein for a couple of months it really affected my cycle... I had double the amount of days! really sucked. I liked the idea of soy, but now I only use it sparingly. I'd try lactaid milk and a whey Protein with the first ingredient "whey protein isolate" rather than "Whey protein concentrate" as that has more lactose...

Soy has a lot of health benefits, but with the breast cancer history and cycle issues with all that estrogen I try not to make it a huge part of my nutrition.

I had the opposite problem. The soy gave me issues. I do like the myoplex brand though. In either soy premixed or the powder is good. Not so fond of vanilla but the choc is good. The strawberry is ok. Hope that helps!!

I have always been allergic to dairy and use soy. after surgery I have had a continuing problem with gas and never used milk. It might not be lactose intolerance. Try the lactaid products and check it out.

If you do decide to go to soy, I use soy Protein powder from Whole Foods health food store. I mix it in soy milk and add Crystal Light for flavor.

Thanks everyone! I found a soy Protein Shake from GNC that makes my stomach happy. It doesn't taste too good, but I'm not getting the cramps like I was before. I had no problems pre-surgery with the whey Protein and skim milk, but post-op it has just been horrible. I get these horrible cramps and everything else that comes along.

What is with all of the gas that I have now?

It might not be the Protein Shakes at all, but rather just after-effects of surgery. I had pretty bad gas for 2-3 weeks and it looks like you're just 10 days post-op so could be post-surgery. which does go away - thankfully. Good luck.

What is with all of the gas that I have now?