Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feelin crappy on preop

Ok even the doctor said by day 3 or so you will have no appetite... not sure who he was talking to but it's day 4 and I could still eat anything not nailed down. Litterally stomach growling hungry, its not in my head. Have no energy, day 3 of a headache that won't quit and I am lets just say not the most pleasant person to be around right now. The fact that the scale hasn't moved since I started and he was expecting another 10 pounds off with this pre-op is not exactly blowing my skirt up. I am starting to think this is devine intervention telling me not to do this.. :blushing:

My doctor wanted me to do this medically surpervised diet "HMR 500". Diet was made up of 5, 100 calorie drinks. He claimed that some patients were on it for "months" and had no trouble with it. Also claimed I would loose a pound a day. I was loosing weight on my own; but tried this stupid diet (cost a fortune). I became obsessed with food. Starving all the time; constantly obsessed with food. The drinks were giving me this numb feeling in the throat and I lost no weight in five days. I went to his office and the nurse told me to stop. Personally though this was the WORST possible diet to put a compulsive eater on. I think there just was not enough calories. I was doing an hour of cardio a day and my body refused to loose weight when it was only getting 500 calories.

OKay off my soap box how many calories are you actually getting? How many grams of Protein? My nut said I should be getting at least 60 grams of Protein (that stupid diet only had 50).

I am averaging approx. 500 cal. a day and adding Protein Powder to stuff as well.. am definately over what he wanted Protein wise so thats not the issue.

Ok even the doctor said by day 3 or so you will have no appetite... not sure who he was talking to but it's day 4 and I could still eat anything not nailed down. Litterally stomach growling hungry, its not in my head. Have no energy, day 3 of a headache that won't quit and I am lets just say not the most pleasant person to be around right now. The fact that the scale hasn't moved since I started and he was expecting another 10 pounds off with this pre-op is not exactly blowing my skirt up. I am starting to think this is devine intervention telling me not to do this.. :blushing:

Boy do I know where you're coming from!!!! I started the 800 calorie a day pre-op diet last Wed. and still have 21 more days before my surgery. I hear what you say about the doc saying after 3 days or so you won't be hungry. Mine told me the same thing, as did my dietician and I didn't believe them. But, it did happen for me, but more like on Day 7. Days 5 and 6 were THE WORST for me; thought I'd eat the dog and cats ...or at least their food...and bawled all day Monday (Labor Day) when everyone else was eating holiday food and I was drinking shakes...again. SO, please try to hang tough for a few more days and see if it helps.

The doc and nutritionist says the trick is to cut out ALL sugar because that is what the body is screaming for. So, I was sure not to sneak a piece of fruit, or even the lightest bite of anything with sugar at all. It really did work.

I have NEVER not been hungry in my whole life so it's like a small taste of what life with the band will be -- except then I'll get more variety and can eat more like a normal person (instead of drinking everything.). I'm pretty excited about it!

Best of luck to you. I'm thinking your surgery may be before mine (29th of Sept.) since most people only have to be on 2 weeks of the pre-op. I get to do 4 because I'm so STINKIN' FAT -- but the good news is, I lost 8 lbs. when i went to the doc today for a weigh-in after that first week of pre-op diet; so....keep it up and you CAN DO IT! And it will be worth it!

Debbie

I am on day 7 with 14 day Optifast VLCD diet. No meat or Carbs, I am only allowed veggies (minus potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, peas and corn or other starchy vegetables). I am also able to have 1 cup of strawberries/raspberries per day. I also have to drink 3 litres of Water each day

I really struggled with the diet on day two and three and came very close to cheating a couple of times. Particuarly when I had to visit the shopping centre to buy my Dad a Fathers Day Present last sunday (Australia's Fathers Day). As soon as I stepped off the escalators I was hit with the smell of bacon and eggs(it smelt devine!). But I managed to resist all the food in the food court as I walked past. This has made the following days a little easier because I proved to myself that I can resist the temptation even when I feel I desperately want to eat and I am alone without anyone to see me cheat.

Since then I Have found when I am hungry I keep drinking water... and I am not thinking too far a head.

Just taking it one day at time. This has made it easier for me. Now I can't belive that I am half way!

I am sure you will find a way to get through it, its all for a great outcome :blushing:

Ok even the doctor said by day 3 or so you will have no appetite... not sure who he was talking to but it's day 4 and I could still eat anything not nailed down. Litterally stomach growling hungry, its not in my head. Have no energy, day 3 of a headache that won't quit and I am lets just say not the most pleasant person to be around right now. The fact that the scale hasn't moved since I started and he was expecting another 10 pounds off with this pre-op is not exactly blowing my skirt up. I am starting to think this is devine intervention telling me not to do this.. :couch2:

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in that post below about YOU CAN DO IT.

Just because I don't feel hungry, doesn't mean I don't want to eat.

I am learning how much of my eating is a head thing. For instance, I'm sitting here now without one hunger pang at all -- but I'm really struggling not to go out and get a piece of pizza that family left after dinner.

The only thing that's stopping me is I just keep typing and typing and typing so my hands are busy and I can't get up.

So, here's my life story: It all started on a warm......

JK! :blushing: