Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mushy food and weight re-gain

I can officially eat mushy foods now but have noticed a slight re-gain in weight. I didn't lose all that much weight when i was on liquids so it is sad to see that as I change eating phases I begin to gain again. I sure hope it doesn't continue like this :blushing:

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

The question is: Are you exercising? And if you are, are you doing it enough?

My RD told me that when you advance your diet stages, that you should also increase your exercise a little to balance it all out.

I'm sure a slight fluctuation in your weight when advancing from liquids to mushies is probably normal, because by-golly you're actually eating something!

Dont stress it- keep doing what your supposed to do, and you will see it drop back down!

i had a temporary gain of a couple of pounds after going on mushy foods too and i assume it was simply because when i was on liquids nothing was staying in my system for long and my digestive track was generally empty. it took me about 4-5 days to lose those couple of lbs. and now i am headed in the right direction again.

The question is: Are you exercising? And if you are, are you doing it enough?

At this point i can only walk since i have not been cleared for other types of exercise, how much is enough?

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

my program recommends a minimum of three 10 minute walks per day until you can start other more strenuous forms of exercise.

I generally walk until I'm putting some sweat into it, but not weak in the legs and then turn around and head on home. Also, I try to add on 5 min. / day or as I can tolerate it. Sometimes I walk the mall for 30 minutes.:blushing:

I gained a few pounds when I started eating actual food too. I freaked out and called my nutrionist. She yelled at me and said I was forbidden to weigh myself at home. (Yea, ok lady) Don't sweat it, your body will adjust & the scale will start moving again. I promise.

It is very common to gain weight when you first start solids. I think that needs to be on a banner somewhere. I did, but I lost that plus an extra 3.

I had the same thing happen. I asked my doctor about it at my post surgery checkup. After he finished yelling at me for weighing at home, he told me that the period before the first fill really shouldn't show much weight loss. He said it was the time to heal, walkwalkwalk, and get the new eating habits ingrained. It was still a little disappointing.

Four days post surgery I went back to the gym using the treadmill for progressively longer periods of time and speed (No incline, and the first couple days was only going 1.5 miles an hour). At two weeks I went back to swimming (moderate lap) and am now back to an hour a day. During TOM I prefer to do cardio. I have been able to do an hour on the eliptical (Level 1 prior to surgery I was doing Level 4). I could probably do a higher level just don't want to have any ab issues. I am 27 days post op.

Ok Zeniada, I started mushy foods two days ago and weighed myself this morning and darn if I wasn't up a pound! WTF?! And I'm actually being really mindful of what goes in, so this was a surprise since I've been losing steadily since surgery!

I'm only walking until I see my surgeon this week and hopefully he will release me to do some other exercises, but I'm hoping to see the scale go back the other direction before my f/u appt this week.

Keep it moving!

Most mushies are sliders, so they go through the band easy leaving you hungry. ( I gained during mushies too!) Once you can eat solid Protein that stays in your stomach you will be less hungry on less calories (and less carbs).

While I have been on mushy's for a week and I didn't gain. My weight loss slloooowwwweeeddd down. IT's frustrating. I am allowed to walkn (20 minutes, I'm 2 wks postop today) and can go full force exercise 4 wks postop.

Keep your head up. Before you know it, you'll be at your first fill and losing!!! Keep doing waht you are.