Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweets....ever okay?

Okay, I am not looking to eat sweets on a regular basis...I completely understand that this about a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. BUT, is it possible to eat a small slice of cake at a birthday party ever again? Or if you have a major sweet craving..could you have a smart ones dessert? Just wondering if this is possble or something that is off limits forever? Actually I was afraid to ask...I don't want anyone lecturing me on sweets! LOL :biggrin:

Lifestyle has LIFE as the first syllable. I eat occasional sweets even as I am losing weight, but choose the Cadillacs of sweets and not just some packaged candy bar because I'm starving. One truly excellent piece of coconut cream pie keeps me happy for weeks.

For me, sweets are not something I plan to reintroduce into my eating plan. I consider myself a food addict, along with other addiction problems. I am not good at doing things in moderation. It is some relief to me that I don't have to worry about much or how often I can have certain foods. I will just stay away alltogether. I think everyone has to find a plan that works for them. If you can do sweets in moderation more power to you. Good luck!

I have something sweet every Sunday. Ice cream, cup cake, homemade Cookies. I make sure it is the best quality and I enjoy every bite but I make sure that it is single serving so its not hanging around on Monday!

And I have alcohol on Fridays too...

Hey 4them, I havent talked to you in a while. Glad to see your belly button is all better. My incision is all better too.

I had some problems with my first fill but other than that IM doing great. I'm glad you asked this question. I've been wondering myself.

I havent had any ice cream since July 13th...:biggrin:

I think Im gonna take leighamasons advice and have a really special sweet every Sunday.

Oh wait today is Saturday isnt it? That means tomorrow is sweet day Sunday. Guess Im gonna run to the grocery store real quick. LOL

Oh and congrats on the weight loss. You are a real trooper!

had small piece of cake at my mom's 50th in june....home made ice cream on 4th of july....1 cupcake at little brothers birthday in august...and you will bet I will have a piece of cake on my birthday in september! so, once a month for a special event or birthday. though in october the hubby and I are going gluten free/sugar free for one month. so we'll see how that goes! its all about moderation and not deprivation!!!

You have eveyones permission to have sweets in moderation.We just can't get carried away like the ol days........I indulge ocassionly

I had some frozen yogurt every night on vacation. I have a few twizzlers at the movies and cake at parties if it absolutely looks irresistible. The good news is that I don't DIE for these things anymore. I can have a little bit and be normal about the whole thing. Long way of saying, IMO you don't have to deprive yourself forever. You do have to be careful though!

I try and curb these things too. I have FF chocolate milk, or my Protein shake with a spoon of FF/SF chocolate pudding mix. If I feeling really wild, I will have double chocolate Vita top. (100 cal) My friend always has dark chocolate kisses at her house, so if I am there I will have 2. I could never bring a bag in the house. I tried and ate them all. no good.

I have had soft ice cream from the truck a few times this summer too. I try to fine decent substitutes. If at a party and the sheet cake looks really good, I will take a small slice and have it.

I know some people are really "die-hard" about these things, and I guess my loss would be more w/o indulging, but like it was stated LIFE is first in Lifestyle.

I think I agree about saving treats for special occations and also making sure the food is something special. For example at my sister's birthday and my nephew's graduation the cake was from an uber fancy/very expensive bakery. I had a small piece and even gave most of the frosting to my nephew. I don't think I would keep something I really liked in the hosue (I can eat half a box of count chocula in about 20 minutes no milk required). Funny, part of my post op diet is low fat/suger pudding cups. I never buy those but right now I have 4 flavors in the fridge. I don't even have them every day (which is somthing considering I just now got to move to tuna three weeks post op).

Okay, I am not looking to eat sweets on a regular basis...I completely understand that this about a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. BUT, is it possible to eat a small slice of cake at a birthday party ever again? Or if you have a major sweet craving..could you have a smart ones dessert? Just wondering if this is possble or something that is off limits forever? Actually I was afraid to ask...I don't want anyone lecturing me on sweets! LOL :biggrin:

I think that everything in moderation is OK. I plan on having splurge days every now and again. I think that as long as I stay on lean & green 6 days, I can reward myself on the 7th. Thankfully with the band I won't be able to sabotage myself too much. I just know that with my history if I deny myself my craving foods for too long I'll fail.

Good luck to you!

Yes! We're not being punished for the rest of our lives! Instead of ALL the cake, we're now eating a small piece. :biggrin:

my doctor's nurse said an occaisional sweet is ok as long as you eat your Protein first and "stop" after having a small amount which is what should satisfy if restriction is where it should be. She did say ice cream, milkshakes, high calorie coffee drinks and sucking on chocolate can sabotage since it most likely will just bypass the restriction since it is mainly liquid.< /p>

@layla's grandma....I am actually STILL packing my wound. I THINK I am on day 35 or 36...I have lost track. But I was probably a day or two away from being closed when I had my second surgery to relocate the port. My surgeon promised she would stitch it shut so I would be done packing, and well...that didn't happen. I actually ended up with an even larger incision that I had originally started with. I went from using 1/4 inch packing to 2 inch packing. So I jokingly say I am not back at square one, I am like negative 25 steps back! Glad to hear you are doing well and that your incision is healed. I am sure you feel alot better now! Best of luck to you!