Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted the below on another thread but really didn't get any feedback. I am hoping starting a new one will work. Thanks!

Hello my fellow August bandsters. I was banded on Friday 8/27. I was in alot of pain the first couple of days. It eased up on Monday and Tuesday. I haven't been nauseated at all.

I am on Clear Liquids for week 1, full liquids for week 2 and then mushies for 2 weeks. I have been eating popsicles and broth (actually the broth strained from campbell's chicken noodle soup). I am able to eat a full popsicle at a time and spoon 1/2 cup of broth at a time before filling full.

I have a few questions that hopefully you guys/ladies can help with.

1. I am not drinking Protein Shakes yet. I have tried a couple and can hardly swallow them. My partner had a gastric bypass and the best Protein shakes she found was Jay Robbs. I tried the vanilla ones (mixed it with Water since I am supposed to be on clear liquids). I got one sip down and got nauseated. Yuck. Am I supposed to be getting protein now? I have read over my post op diet and it doesn't mention it during the clear liquid phase but I am worried.

2. Today my stomach is very sore. It seemed to get a lot better and all the sudden there seems to be more swelling and soreness. Is this normal? How long did yall stay sore?

I really appreciate your help. I have spent the last 3 days on this website constantly. I have got a lot of positive encouragement by reading peoples stories/seeing their pictures. It is amazing. I am looking forward to this journey. I am down to 199 today. Whooohooo. I haven't been under 200 in 11 years. I am so happy! :)

Well first; congrats on being banded and another congrats on getting to onderland!! I was so excited when I saw a 1 on the scale instead of a 2.

Per your questions..

1. Protein is important as it helps your body heal after surgery. Though you wont be getting the amount you should, your body has a storage of it so it's not a huge deal, though when you get to the next post-op stage you may want to find a way to get more in during the day. Maybe you could look into Protein Shots? They are fruit flavored (usually fruit punch, grape, etc) and most people mix them into Water. They sell them at Walmart and online.

I too hated Protein Drinks but I did hold my nose and drink when I was early post-op. Today I can't stand to look at or even smell one; yuck.

2. I was 'sore' for a week or so. I wasn't feeling completely back to normal until about the end of week 1 though I was off my pain meds by day 4. My port incision hurt for a few weeks but is perfectly fine now. The gas pains went away at about day 5 I believe.

Swelling is common; just be sure to take it easy and rest when you can.

Hope this helps.

I haven't been banded yet, but have been through my required dietitian meeting and hope to be banded late Sept/Early October (still waiting on paper work). Per my Dietitian I am to have 1 day clear liquids and the Full Liquids (liquids you cannot see through) Day 1 to 14. At this stage I can have High Protein Shakes. I've read on this site that they do make unflavored Protein powders that you can add to chicken broth. I plan on getting me some before my surgery. I want to make sure I'm getting plenty protein. Well Good luck! It looks like you are doing great so far!!

Health food stores like GNC and even some Walmarts have Protein suppliments that are clear liquid, in fruit flavors that taste like Jello. Just keep trying different ones till you find something you like. I use the GNC 100% whey protein (carmel chocolate flavor) That's the only flavor I like in that brand, so even if you try one flavor in a brand and dont like it, try another. Unfortunately they should have instructed you to find one you liked before you were banded, so you wouldnt have to be going through this now one week post-op! Also I have heard that some of the bariatric web sites sell "sample" packs so you can try different products, but i dont have any specific links for that, you would have to do a search. Good luck! Get your protein....it's important.

I was banded Friday, 8/27 and am also having trouble getting enough liquid in Everytime I sip, a few minutes later I belch and then have the pain at the top of my stomach as if it's passing through. It goes quick, but how long does this last? I'm not getting 48oz of liquid in daily because it's so hard to keep drinking when I have that kick back felling! Anyone have this issue?

Hi. My doctor said to get 60 grams of Protein even during the clear liquid stage. My Nut said to have Protein Shakes three times a day during the clear liquid stage. Not sure if they meant for them to be made with Water but I made mine with fat free milk. Sure that adds 90 calories but it is mostly water and the broth I was eating was like 60 calories a day total. If you have a costco near by I buy the Premier brand ready to drink Protein. It has 30 grams and is like chocolate milk. Not bad at all.

bnlluvr-You probably have swelling from the surgery. Do your best with the fluids, it will be much easier once the swelling goes down. Congrats on your surgery!

Thank you all so very much! I found a Protein Drink today that is tolerable. It is called Cytomax Protein Pure Performance Drink. It is 20 ounces. It has 0g carbs, 0g sugar, 160 calories and 40g of Protein! It is a clear liquid so it works in the clear sugar free liquid diet. I drank the watermelon flavor and it was pretty tasty. Below is the website if anyone is interested. I would definately recommend it.

CytoSport | Driven By Science. Inspired By Performance.

Thank you all so very much! I found a Protein drink today that is tolerable. It is called Cytomax Protein Pure Performance Drink. It is 20 ounces. It has 0g carbs, 0g sugar, 160 calories and 40g of Protein! It is a clear liquid so it works in the clear sugar free liquid diet. I drank the watermelon flavor and it was pretty tasty. Below is the website if anyone is interested. I would definately recommend it.

40g of protein is actually a lot of protein. That's more for body builders. I would only use half of a scoop.

40g of Protein is actually a lot of protein. That's more for body builders. I would only use half of a scoop.

40g of protein is fine. Your body will use what it needs. I have up to 120g protein a day, it doesn't hurt to go a little over.

1. I am not drinking Protein shakes yet. I have tried a couple and can hardly swallow them. My partner had a gastric bypass and the best Protein Shakes she found was Jay Robbs. I tried the vanilla ones (mixed it with Water since I am supposed to be on clear liquids). I got one sip down and got nauseated. Yuck. Am I supposed to be getting Protein now? I have read over my post op diet and it doesn't mention it during the clear liquid phase but I am worried.
If you're supposed to be on Clear liquids, then adding protein is premature. If you're concerned, double-check with your surgeon to be sure; mine really wanted CLEAR liquids for a period of time, to allow the GI system full rest. Added protein defeats that.
2. Today my stomach is very sore. It seemed to get a lot better and all the sudden there seems to be more swelling and soreness. Is this normal? How long did yall stay sore?
Yes, this is quite normal. Often, feeling better translates into more activity--which can then increase soreness and swelling. It took a good ten days for me to feel close to "normal." Even then, I had times of increased soreness. Heck, even at 7 months, I still have days when my port site complains.

Thank you all so very much! I found a Protein drink today that is tolerable. It is called Cytomax Protein Pure Performance Drink. It is 20 ounces. It has 0g carbs, 0g sugar, 160 calories and 40g of Protein! It is a clear liquid so it works in the clear sugar free liquid diet. I drank the watermelon flavor and it was pretty tasty. Below is the website if anyone is interested. I would definately recommend it.

Are you sure ..full liquids means clear liquids..because...FULL LIQUIDS>>usually means anything that is liquid...thinned Soups, protein shakes, puddings (s/f) yogurt. Call your nutrionist...Also...I have heard of 1 week clear liquids..but 2 is a lil extreme. They do sell chicken broth that has protein in it from bariatic eating...I have not tried it. Also try to stay away from processed Soups like campbells...you really want chicken broth --in the clear stage.

Always remember..protein first...and foremost when you are in these stages..your body needs to repair itself. Also they will make you feel full. I am finding EAS from Sams is delicious w/ 4oz of Over the Moon milk = 28g of protein and only 3 carbs...good luck :)

One more thing..do what works for you ..while following the rules!

Thank you all. I have had a week off of work. I go back next Tuesday. During this week I have becore a Lapband forum Junkie. LOL. So much useful information.

@ Sandy, I am on clear liquids for 1 week. My surgery was last Friday so not sure is yesterday was the last day of clear liquids or if today is....anyhow I am onto full liquids after today.

Yes I know 40 grams is alot. I drank 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I certainly felt full that is for sure. I can only sip it and after a couple of sips I feel full.

@ Sandy. You are right about the soreness. I think it is from moving around so much. I have a two year old. She is 39 pounds so I know I can't pick her up but I am still bending over alot doing stuff with/for her. I am pretty sure that is where the increased soreness comes in.

My belly is pretty swollen. I have 5 incisions total. One about two inches above my belly button is pretty large about 1 1/2 inch long. I was really surprised as I was not expecting any of them to be that big. The others are pretty small though. I am guessing this is where my port is??? I never saw the doc after my surgery. I just saw nurses and they sent me home the same day. I was pretty out of it so there wasn't alot of opportunity to ask questions.