Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when you're full?

I'm 22 days out of surgery and I've lost 17 lbs amazingly. This week I started solids and I'm doing very well. My question is, how do you know when your full? I have not had my first fill yet. Is there some sign your body gives you because I'm not feeling it. Do you not feel it until you've had your first fill? Any help would be so awesome. Thanks.

Typically, until your first fill (sometimes your first 6), you're doing this by sheer will and motivation.

When the band is working properly, you'll have no doubt in your mind what full is. That's why they want us to eat slow too - the difference between comfortable and overly full can be the matter of 2 bites.

Hang in there - this is a slow process but a rewarding one!

I am 3 weeks since surgery and I am also at a loss, one minute okay eating the next burping and in pain. Digestion is very bad - they put me back on Reglan and we will see. I do not really get hunger pains but can tell it is time to eat - will be glad when this stage is over!!!

"Full" is very, very different postop. You simply will no longer feel like you did when "full" pre-banding. That feeling does not exist any more.

In fact, "full" is something I now avoid--it is unpleasant.

It's really tricky to know when to stop before you approach and achieve restriction, so what I'm about to say may not make sense. (Your pouch is still emptying into the stomach below fairly rapidly, so I suspect you feel decidedly unfull most of the time!) But as you approach restriction, pay really close attention to how you feel after every bite of food. As you approach satisfied (or maybe what you will define as your new "full"), there are subtle changes that tell you that you're reaching capacity.

You have to pay very close attention--because as you will find, one bite too many (just one bite!) can push you over the edge and into uncomfortable territory.

It takes practice, and even after you get the hang of it, there will be times, probably, when you still have that one bite too many. But you will get used to sensing, "enough." You won't ever have the "full" feeling you had before---that sensation is caused by pressure on stretch receptors in the muscle of the stomach, and the "new construction" with the band doesn't allow for that kind of stretch before you hit the throwup zone.

MrsCabes, this differs from one person to the next. I was getting stuck and full before my first fill.

Everything Betsy said is right on.

There are several different signals, mine is hi-coughs (hiccups). Others get watery eyes; runny noses; twitches and I've seen a few other things.

Chest pains; getting stuck and sliming mean you went to far.

MrsCabes, this differs from one person to the next. I was getting stuck and full before my first fill.

Everything Betsy said is right on.

There are several different signals, mine is hi-coughs (hiccups). Others get watery eyes; runny noses; twitches and I've seen a few other things.

Hence, why I said, typically.

Hence, why I said, typically.

I just like pointing out that I am atypical :)

What is sliming?

What is sliming?

Our esophagi produce a clear mucus to aid in the swallowing of food. When food gets stuck the mucus/slime has nowhere to go but up.

It's kind of fun. Looks like a jellyfish when it is spit into the toilet.

Sounds like I'm missing my "full/enough" signs. Oh boy, I do know the "overboard" signs.

I feel the food right below my breast bone and my nose will start to run. like the comments above - one bite can be the difference between comfort and discomfort. 7 months later and still learning.

Didn't acheive restriction util my 4TH fill at 7.5cc in my 14cc band.

What everyone has said seems correct to me! You will never ever experience that "stuffed" feeling that we all knew too well. Sometimes I admit I miss it :). Like Thanksgiving dinner, when you would eat until you felt like you were gonna burst and that you had to roll away from the table...nope never gonna have that again. You really have to listen to your body to know when you are "full". Alot of people have signals. Sometimes my nose will start to stuff up...sometimes like Bob I hic-cough, other times even 9 months out I push myself and then get to revisit my food in the toilet because I just had to have those last few bites. That has been the hard part for me. Realizing that I am not 5 years old anymore and I don't HAVE to clean my plate or eat every last bite and if I don't I won't be grounded and the sun will still shine tomorrow and that the underpriviliged kids in other countries will forgive me. In fact if I go out to eat I ask for a box right away and put most of the food in it so it's not on my plate looking at me.

I am 3 days post banding and I have the same questions. I have not felt "hunger" yet. I have been taking Protein bullets and Unjury shakes to make sure I get enough protein. I am eating pureed cottage cheese and peaches and tonight I had pureed chicken salad and mashed potatoes(thin!!). My question: should I eat on a schedule or just when I feel hunger?

Cannrun...I'm 5 days past surgery and when I drink, it is usually followed by a burp and then pain as it passes through I guess? I don't know how to get 48 oz of liquid in if this keeps up. Also, my port is sore and swollen, you?