Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MI doc says 25% do not loose wgt

when I first looked into the band, I thought I had hit paydirt. have the band and lose weight with no effort at all. well, I realised that it doesnt work that way, though I know a few people who think it does and insist on eating the way they used to without fills and also drinking copious amounts of alchohol without "counting" it in their calorie intake. I know people who insist that calories dont matter, they do in my experience.

so I diet, its the last diet I will ever have to do so whats one more after a life time of them.

My friend said to me about another friend who has lost almost zilch after 2 years of the band and blames it entirely (so what caused the weight PRE band? she just wont have it that you cant eat cakes candys drink bottles of wine each night and lose weight nomatter what your fitted with or without,) "jeez if my husband spent all that cash on a power tool then flung it in the garage saying it didnt put the shelves up for him or built that wardrobe by itself, Id kill him stone dead" lol

there have been times when I havnt lost weight and had to face up to the fact that ive eaten too much, sometimes it seems like youve eaten a miniscule amount but then add up those dreaded calories and find youve eaten about 3000 in bitty food that does you no good at all.

There just are no magic cures. Lord knows we all would have found one, if one existed - we're been looking hard! W have to face rality - that our part habits, lack of exercise, food choices, amounts of food and more made us fat. And, yes, genetics and other stuff we can't change.

But we can't expect that continuing all these bad habits, but simply sticking a piece of plastic on our stomachs, is going to change anything - no matter how hard we want to believe that.

Unless we change the reasons we got fat, we are not going to permanently change BEING fat.

Some accept this sooner than others. Some never accept it, and continue to spin their wheels and complain that "the band isn't working."

Our loss is mostly up to us - and the first step is being honest with ourselves - what we WERE doing and what needs to change. Renee

Magic Pill? Super Cure? No, I was simply looking for a tool to help me lose weight over the long term. Now, I realize some Bandsters find it distasteful to hear that the tool they love is not the perfect tool (or hasn't behaved perfectly) for others. But things happen, folks. Every single erosion patient, slippage patient or patient with complications did not purposely sabotage their Band success. If any of us out here believe that, then that is beyond comprehension. But even if those who have struggled are in the minority, remember that it's not just because the patient didn't have the will to succeed.

I think it's important to define success.

Hmmm, since I was the one who posted in this thread recently, saying my BMI was 30 (still is) then I guess I'll take this one. And that was exactly what I said:

... and according to my BMI of 30, I'm technically still obese :eek:.

In other words, a BMI of 30 is NOT success for me. I wasn't so large that LapBand success should have been such a distant dream.

I know that some posters are happy at a BMI of 30 and others are upset about having a BMI of 30. For me, coming from a BMI of 46, maintaining a BMI of 30 would be a success.

What's so bad about having a BMI is 30 for me is that I've fought my hardest & done my best to get it just to down there. Hardly a satisfactory result for my time or money. And no my BMI was never 46, so a BMI of 30 is not cutting it, in my mind. Perhaps if I'd gone from a BMI of 38/39 to 23 or 24 (hardly realistic for my body & health history) then I would feel differently. Again, this is my own result - we know some Bandsters have done much much better, but there are also those that are still struggling also.

And even though I never paid much attention to this earlier, I am really noticing that those who higher start weight and higher BMI's sometimes don't realize that their higher numbers are just that - higher numbers. They don't always reflect success in terms of percentage of excess weigh so they see the bigger picture. It's great that you can see that perspective, because many of our fellow Bandsters merely opine "Oh I've lost 90# with the band - so the only reason anyone doesn't succeed with the Band is because they haven't tried. " Then one reads at the bottom of their posting and their start weight was 360 with a starting BMI of 49, and they are now down to 250# at a current BMI of 41. So yes, success is relative. If they are pleased with their current loss then they are success. For those of us who aren't, then we have every right to express our frustration with the struggle.

I would have significantly reduced my health risks from obesity; I'd be at a more normal size; etc.

Again, this is relative. Take this example: The most popular high-end designer jeans brand in America right now is Seven For All Mankind Jeans (Retail cost: approx $130-$176 a pair :( ). I admit I really want a pair - they are flattering, well made, great looking and fabulous. Now I although I have nicknamed them "Seven For All Mankind who has $140 and wears a size 9 or Less Jeans" the fact is, I can't fit into a pair for love or money (tried again a week ago).

So what is normal? For my lifestyle, group, and goals - I would like to wear the original Seven for All Mankind jeans (not those crappy Lane Bryant/Limited Express knockoffs.) That's what should be normal for me. And frankly, although I have heavier friends who would be pleased to get down to my post-op size, I know far more people who have been in single digit sizes all their lives - and who would become downright suicidal if they woke up in my current size of clothing and at my (deceptively high) weight. And this is after my 5 years of work, so I am clear on the fact that I'm not where I want to be with my weight, period. So for me, it doesn't work.

I think part of this may result from whether or not you were thin most of your life... and then got fat... or were chubby/fat all of your life. As somebody in the latter category, MO since I was 21, being "just" obese is nice. LOL And a BMI of 30 is just one point from 29... which is overweight, not obese.

Yeah, well I haven't gotten to a BMI of 29 yet - so I can accurately quote that according to the charts ( Grrrr), I am still obese. Again, what's OK for some is intolerable for others. Personally I didn't have the band to help me maintain my weight - I got it as a tool to help me lose weight. And in my case, I'm working much harder than my tool is right now. I didn't get it to help me while I was attending WW, Tops, OA or any other type of program. Been there, done that - if they worked I wouldn't have needed the additional help. But they didn't work long term and I was looking for something to help me lose weight, not something to just gently assist me while I tried my umpteeth trip to WW.

<snip>

Some tools/tips which may help less sucessful bandsters??

OMG, are you serious?

Everyone has a different road, a different path. I wish all those out there who are succeeding with the band or who are experiencing their first real weight loss victories with the band - much luck and continued (if that's what they think it is) success. But I set very high goals for myself and I am willing to do 110% of what's necessary to achieve them. So just call me one of the fabled 25% who didn't see the success they wanted, with the Band. But it's not due to not knowing some tips to succeed :rolleyes or understanding how it works and it's sure not about not being willing to have it succeed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Walk a mile in my high heels (or any other struggling Bandsters' shoes) before assuming I haven't done I need to do. My medical records tell a far different story, and I doubt I'm the only one in this scenario.

As always,

Happy Band Journeys to all.

Now, I am so confused. This is such a hard decision. When you feel like you are a failure at so many previous weight attempts; and then realize you could be a failure at this major event of surgery… you can't help but wonder will this be worth it or am I setting myself up to fail again. Especially when this surgery is a costly and serious step concerning our bodies, our health.

After reading one doctor and then the other who spoke about lap band vrs rouxen-y, who do I believe? I am not confident in which direction I should go. I have opted for lap band, but I don't control my amount of eating now. I get the impression that this might not help me in that area.

I wanted the lap band due to the risk factor and the reversible option if necessary. Although I feel I definitly would lose a lot faster with the rouxen-y, I thought the lap band seemed more realistic in the slow process of losing. Now, when I read the debates that go on back and forth, I just don't know. I would hate to go through all of this and find that I am setting myself up to fail, again! I don't want to be the statistic that writes this forum oneday and declares that this was the wrong decision.

Help give me some kind of assurance. Don't know what's right for me anymore. I just want to get my self healthy and carry less pounds.

well, there is only one way to lose weight, thats eat less, move more. the band has helped me do that. without it I just couldnt do it for long and then piled back the weight. IVe just come back from an all inclusive holiday in spain, all the food you could eat and all the booze, soft drinks and wine you could drink, and I lost 7lbs !!!!! I ate my fill, and I drank Water and a couple of diet cokes and a sneaky baileys on the last night, and still lost weight. I ate a sweet after each evening meal, but the difference was that I only had a tiny helping and a scoop of ice cream, I didnt wear a path out to the sweet bar, because that was enough for me,

last all inclusive holdiay I went on I came back 18lbs heavier than when I left. apart from accidents with the band like slippage ect, if you use it right and dont eat till your sick or pb-ing just eat till your full (a new experience for me let me tell you) you will be fine.

Its the "getting your head round it all" bit thats confusing peeps I think

when is it right, when do I need a fill, when do I need an unfill, this knowledge comes with a bit of time and experience. for me the rules are

eat slowly, take a couple of mouthfulls and wait, if it doesnt hurt after a few minutes carry on eating slowly and chew well,. if I have done all that and it hurts , stop, I'm eating something that doesnt suit MY band, ie; I can eat eggs my friend cant, she can eat rice, I cant, --I can eat grapes (peeled) she cant --yet she can eat an orange !!!! arrrrrrrrgh! but were both losing weight fine, and we know through experience its cos were eating far far less than we ate before the band. so it seems were all different, and its a case of finding out what we can and cant manage. But I would say that If you can eat a subway or a mcdonalds --you need a fill Lol