Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got the ball rolling...

Well, I am attending a seminar about the Lap Band that is required by my surgeon prior to surgery. It is put on by either himself or the other surgeon in his practice. I guess they explain everything about the process and answer questions. The following day I have my consultation with the surgeon. I am traveling about 3.5 hours one way... yuck. But I think it will be worth it.

Now I am going to call my insurance company (UHC) and explain everything and see where I get. The hospital I am going through has already sent me an information packet that has codes in it that the ins. company may want. It looks like everything is a go unless the insurance company throws me a curve ball. I know some people have ahad great luck with UHC and others haven't. I have a BMI of 45 so I hope that helps.

I am more scared about the surgery than I thought I would be. I'm more scared of being put under than anything. I'm sure all will be fine, just got the jitters.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

AL

Good luck, Al!

I was most frightened of the IV (my veins are small and deep and roll, and most healthcare professionals have a heck of a time finding them at all, let alone on the first stick!).

It is a little surreal coming out of anesthesia (I've done it three times now - the first was the worst). Just remind yourself to stay calm, and if you're uncomfortable it will just be a passing thing.

Hope all goes smoothly with your insurance!

Hi Al,

Congrats on getting the ball rolling on your surgrery. I was also nervous about going under, but it all turned out for the best. I guess what helped me the most was I explained to the surgical staff my concerns so they talked to me a lot when I was first coming out of anestesia and they were telling me that everything was fine and that the band was placed with no problems. I just found it really helpfull and comforting to know that kind of stuff.

Good luck to you

Janel:)

I am more scared about the surgery than I thought I would be. I'm more scared of being put under than anything.

Al - we all understand this more than you know. Just to ease your frustrations, let me tell you my story of being banded. Now that I think about it, it's kind of funny but at the time I thought it was the end of the world.........

I was banded on 11/25. My surgery was scheduled for 12:30 but my doctor was running behind on another surgery. They didn't come get me until almost 1. Now keep in mind that I was SOOO tired (couldn't sleep the night before) and was STARVING!!! When they came and got me I gave my husband a kiss and I was off. I got to the prep room and they started my IV........and then I just waited! When I looked at the clock 1/2 hr had passed and all the while I have these crazy thoughts going through my mind. At that point I sat up and said to the first person I saw there " Take this IV out of me. I changed my mind and I WANT TO GO HOME." I really thought I did want to go home but it was just my mind playing tricks on me. They went and got my nurse and she talked to me. Finally she said she was going to get the anesthesiologist so I could talk to him. When he came to me he sat on my bed and held my hand. I told him I was scared of not waking up after the operation and I didn't know if I coud do this. He said to me " Everyone that comes in here is nervous and scared to a point and that's to be expected. If you really don't want to do this we can get you out of here BUT if you are just scared we can give you something to help relax you and take away some of the anxiety." So I said ok - if you think it will help then do it. Whatever he put in my IV had me feeling SOOO much better in a matter of 2 minutes. I'm telling you if he wouldn't have done that I would have been AWOL. They would have had a search party looking for me :rolleyes:

Anyways after that I don't remember much about what happened. I just remember him telling me about the breathing tube that he was going to put in me while I was under to make sure I was breathing fine. Then he said something to me that really put my mind at comfort. He said " You won't be alone. I will be right beside you every step of the way making sure you are FINE!!!"

Maybe mine was an extreme case of being scared but we are all scared none the less. I just wanted to share my story with you so that you know you are not alone. When you do get to that point, just make sure to tell them your concerns. They are there to help you. If I would have done that I probably wouldn't have been the bundle of nerves that I was. If that doesn't help ask for DRUGS!!! lololol. Everything will be fine!

Thanks for your advise and words of encouragement!! I really appreciate it!!!

I'm more relaxed now than I was when I started this thread. I'm sure once I have my consultation and I can talk to the surgeon I will be a lot more at ease. I'm not good at waiting though and I think that's the hard part. When I want something, I want it yesterday. I will keep you posted as things take shape. Thanks again for your support!!

AL