Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I started my pre-op diet on Friday.... starting weight was 253.... As of this AM I am 247...

This has been so hard and I cried every day....I almost quit but I didnt...and I am so glad I didnt. I still have six more days but that is ok...

For all of you who are hating the diet...please please stick with it...cry if you must....but please stay with it..It will be worth it in the end...

No one ever said it would be easy..

Good words!

My surgeon does 2 weeks pre-op liquid and then 10 days post op THIN LIQUID before moving on to mush.

The 2 week pre-op was so hard when I was doing it, but I will tell you that I have 3 days left on my THIN LIQUID and I am going out of my mind.

We banded people are willing to sacrifice in order to be healthier, skinnier, etc. These short term diets are part of that sacrifice. I agree, cry if you have to.

I agree it's very hard. But I just take it one day at a time. I know it's for a good cause and I definitely see my scale moving down so at least I feel good seeing progress.

MollyRN - I have a question for you (first let me tell you, your happiness and positivity makes me feel better!)

I am getting banded at NYU and even though I've read my pamphlet and everything out there - did Dr. Fielding speak to you after and give those instructions? I am getting banded by Dr. Ren and I'm wondering if there is a clear direction after you have the surgery and you're in the hospital? Sorry, I am the type of person that needs everything spelled out, especially with something like this..

Thanks!

MollyRN - I have a question for you (first let me tell you, your happiness and positivity makes me feel better!)

I am getting banded at NYU and even though I've read my pamphlet and everything out there - did Dr. Fielding speak to you after and give those instructions? I am getting banded by Dr. Ren and I'm wondering if there is a clear direction after you have the surgery and you're in the hospital? Sorry, I am the type of person that needs everything spelled out, especially with something like this..

Thanks!

Ik77 - I have been thinking about this exact topic for a couple of weeks now. Dr. Fielding gave my seminar - so a lot of information came from that night. I then, like you, got the food advice from the nutritionist and other health info from the nurse. I saw Dr. Fielding once before they submitted for approval and then the morning of my surgery and that evening when he discharged me. Yesterday, I went for my one week post op and I saw the nurse (who's great, really). Initially, I was kind of surprised. I mean, one of the MAIN reasons I picked Fielding was because he has a band and I thought, wow, I will get some great guidance. But I guess that guidance doesn't come one-on-one - it comes from the experience of his practice and staff. The papers they give you at discharge at quite all inclusive about how to care for yourself. And the packet you got from the nutritionist is really the only food advice I have gotten to date - although I have to see the nutritionist at my first fill - which is really when I will just start eating solid food.

Yesterday I sort of realized that Dr. Fielding's job with me was to safely place the band - and that his team would take care of me post-op. I am not sure if this is the case with Dr. Ren or not. Hope I answered your question....:thumbup:

keep up the good work ladies! i go in for my pre op testing Thursday. Im soo excited

Yesterday I sort of realized that Dr. Fielding's job with me was to safely place the band - and that his team would take care of me post-op. I am not sure if this is the case with Dr. Ren or not. Hope I answered your question....:unsure:

Thanks MollyRN, I appreciate it and I agree - thanks for putting it in to perspective! May I ask, what do you like about the practice at NYU? I saw Frank (who was very nice, but everyone seemed very surprised by my anxiety - and they did put me at ease, but they didn't seem to relate to me.. which scares me about post-op care). Also Dr. Ren was a little harsh with me when I met her last and it's also making me nervous about post-op. I think they are the BEST and have heard amazing things and don't doubt their expertise or anything like that. I am most concerned with making sure I am with a practice that will be understanding of my needs.

First, you have a lot of options post-op that are not limited to his practice - so just having the surgery there doesnt mean you are committed to them for life. I really like Frank but I think you need to have the ability to slow them down. That's my impression - to be self-possessed enough to say HEY - stop for a minute. I need you to pay attention to this. I don't know if you have any kids, but it is kind of like pediatricians - they treat the average you know? But of course, there are always outliers and we need to be able to get someone's attention when we need it. I have never met Dr. Ren - but I will tell you that Dr. Fielding got inside my head, he is sweet, straight forward, mild mannered - he could never be harsh - ever! And, as with many things in life, my care is really ultimately up to me.

I picked NYU because they are the best and I can't see having surgery with anyone with the best. I picked Dr. Fielding because he has a band (and he's the best). I like Frank and Gaspar (the nurses) and I think they generally run that office pretty efficiently. My experience with the surgical team was lovely - the anethesiologist was great. The nurses were awesome. Everything was as I would have wanted it. Now I am what, 11 days post-op? I have been in the office once, and it was a positive experience.

If you want to talk, send me a private message and I will send you my cell.

The pre-op diet was definitely the hardest thing for me, but you can do it! I'm so glad you didn't quit. Keep on trucking and if you need anything just post or even send me a PM!

Good words!

My surgeon does 2 weeks pre-op liquid and then 10 days post op THIN LIQUID before moving on to mush.

The 2 week pre-op was so hard when I was doing it, but I will tell you that I have 3 days left on my THIN LIQUID and I am going out of my mind.

Hi Molly, I was also banded at NYU. I'm 3 days post-op following a liquid diet but no one has told me to follow a THIN liquid diet. What is the difference? I think I can have anything that can go through a straw. Is this THIN liquid?

I was banded by Dr. Kurian and I think she was great, but like you I also figured that her job was to place the band and that the follow ups will be with her team mostly.

Hi Molly, I was also banded at NYU. I'm 3 days post-op following a liquid diet but no one has told me to follow a THIN liquid diet. What is the difference? I think I can have anything that can go through a straw. Is this THIN liquid?

I was banded by Dr. Kurian and I think she was great, but like you I also figured that her job was to place the band and that the follow ups will be with her team mostly.

Yes - liquid was our pre-op diet. Thin liquid is liquid that could only be drank through a straw (every though we are not allowed to use straws). I kissed that puppy goodbye 2 days ago....thin liquid made liquid look fun.

I agree it is tough but it does prepare you for post-op which is also tough.

I know I cried but I look back now and think how glad I am that I didn't give up. It makes me feel so proud and kind of makes me think I can do this!

Getting the lapband is just getting an aid to your weightloss. everyday is going to be tough and this (the pre-op diet) in my opinion helps stregthen you for the journey!