Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh, no more shakes please....

I'm doing the 3 shakes a day, fat-free broth, sugar free Jello and popsicles and plain cooked or raw veggies. I have to say, I'm doing fine with it, but I seriously can not stomach another Protein Shake. Ugh! The shakes taste good, I can add fruit to it, which helps. But I just don't want anything. I feel like I'm not hungry and just don't have a deserve to eat the shakes Did anyone else go through this? I'm 1/2 way through my 12 day pre-op and getting prepared for my 8/3 surgery. Can someone spare some encouragement?

I'm feeling your pain! I'm on day 9 and I have a week to go. My doc put me on two shakes a day, and one meal w/4oz of Protein and veggies on the side. The first three days I had a Migraine. I just wanted to die I was so miserable. I added fat free Soup with veggies in it (remember the cabbage Soup diet) so aside from from the toxic Protein shake farts I got to ramp those up to eye watering paint peeling farts! Good Gawd Almighty!! I had to find an isolated spot at my job to hide and toot. I'd stagger out of my hidey hole praying no one had heard nor followed me.

And to add insult to injury, I was really jazzed that I had lost 5.5 lbs in one week, then DH made corned beef for dinner yesterday. I gained back 1.5 pounds!! Damn that Water weight! And I'm supposed to weigh in on my preop appointment on Friday. I only needed to drop 4 pounds, but ya know, sh*t happens and I may magically grow an extra udder or something, what with all these Protein Shakes. Or maybe I'll get so constipated that it will skew my results. *sigh*

We just gotta hang on, August 3rd is right around the corner for you, and I'm right behind you. AND I like to think that eating this way is prepping us for good post-op behavior. Did that make you feel better?? Go on and treat yourself to a sf popsicle! We're almost there!!:cursing:

I'm so glad to hear other people talk about the "10 day" pre-op liquid diet. I have a friend in NY who just had surgery a few weeks ago and she only had to do 3 days.

I'm going in on Aug. 17 so for now I've been testing out different shakes to see what I like and honestly, none are great. I do however like the Carnation instant Breakfast with lots of ice. Must add some non fat dry milk to boost the Protein.< /p>

Good luck!

I feel your pain. I'm on day 3 and I'm dying for some real food. The shakes aren't awful but I want some steak or something.

I was making my family some really good Pasta dish last night and it smelled and looked delicious. I was SO close to licking the spoon, but I didn't. I do not want any problems getting turned away for surgery and really want to keep my mind in the game for post-op. Best of luck!

I cried for 5 days of my 14 on liquid - but let me tell you something, I only have two incisions because my liver was so light - I didn't need all 5. It makes a great difference to stay on the diet as much as possible.

I'm so glad that i don't have to to a liquid diet... i get to do a low carb diet for 2 weeks before my date... but i think I'm still gonna do low carb shakes with my food just to take the guess work out of what to eat... Good Luck Everyone! :rolleyes::tongue::thumbup:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches