Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

:smile2: hey Everybody ! Just an update.. surgery was monday 9/20/10 .. some soreness right under breast chest area and a little radiation to the left shoulder.. the first 3 days was hard to get anything down.. possibly one SF carnation Breakfast and maybe 1-2 SF popcycles but felt like I ate 3 turkey dinners LOL.. i was uncomfortable.. but much much better today.. and getting up some gas still which really helps. Key i discovered was don't try to be a hero LOL and take the pain medication..i feel so much better.. i was trying to hold off till sleep time but forget it ! Today i woke up had my carnation no problem and took a pill.. then Decaf with skim and splenda.. feeling much much better =) I havn't weighed myself since last wed. gonna weight till doctors appt on 30th. will keep posted :)

Update, i had my surgery on 9/22. had some wheezing problems and low oxygen levels. plus surgery was delayed for 2 hours. today i feel alright, a little sore, trying to get down all the liquids. everyone else that had surgery yesterday let us know how you feel.

I was banded yesterday, here I sit in my bed with the laptop - I did not sleep well at all last night, I did nap when I got home yesterday but was very uncomfortable through the night. My pain med is liquid extra strength tylenol the pain med that was prescribed for me, my insurance co. denied it when my hubby went to get it filled! So Tylenol is it.

I have 5 "holes" where they went in - sore throat due to the tube but all of it is OK :smile2: I am excited about the next few weeks and getting past all of this. I am returning to work on Monday! Any tips for the first few days/weeks???

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat! I was also banded yesterday (9/22) I however did get the liquid lortab... it tastes like butt, so believe me when I say you arent missing anything. It does seem to take the edge off, but no miracle cure.

I have 5 incisions.. well, 4 holes and one rather large gash.. I wasnt expecting that, but whatever it takes, right?? I also have a dry scratchy throat from the breathing tube and the scope that went down inside my stomach.

I am having some gas pains too.. tight in the chest, and it radiates into the upper left shoulder. Its not unbearable - just aggravating. I have been up and down from the recliner, trying to walk around. The hubs and baby had to go to the store, and I deftly volunteered to go too... I just took my time, and walked a few aisle pushing the cart, while the hubs got the few items we came for - I may have over done it...:mad: So I am taking it easy now. I feel the gas gurgling in my stomach which is a little uncomfortable.. I cant tell if I am just hungry, or if gas pockets are just shifting. Maybe I will whip up some broth for lunch.

I am also returning to work on Monday... and a little nervous, since I have already been told they need me to do my job and fill in for someone who put in her 2 weeks in a different department - I am not looking forward to that. :)

Any of my September friends want to be my exercise buddy? I am committed to the idea of exercising regularly to make my band work its best, but I know it's going to be a struggle. I'd like to have a "check in" buddy who is equally committed to it, but maybe needs some external accountability like I do.

I want to!!!! i need this so bad.

Tiffany,

I feel MUCH better! My doctor prescribed a different pain med since the first one was denied..I have been out walking around which has helped the gas move so between that moving out and the pain med I am a happier person!

I am NOT looking forward to Monday..I will work a full day then immediately go to a meeting that I has been scheduled and I absolutely cannot get out of which will go from 5-10 pm then turn around and go back to work on Tuesday, so my first day back is overkill. Your Monday doesnt sound as though it is going to be a good day either.

I did not tell any of my co workers why I was off this week.

So many people think that the lapband is an easy way out instead of a tool and a very strict process, so I guess some of it is being ashamed and embarrassed.

Have you had a Protein Shake yet? I am working on my first one since surgery yesterday. That seems to help my stomach too. I do not like being home all day watching tv LOL I think EVERY commercial is about FOOD!

Keep in touch would love to see how things progress for you too!

Take care!!

I want to!!!! i need this so bad.

Right now we're doing PM's (I requested you as a friend), but we could start a thread if others are interested.

MissJoany is already on the treadmill! Woot! :smile2:

I was banded yesterday, here I sit in my bed with the laptop - I did not sleep well at all last night, I did nap when I got home yesterday but was very uncomfortable through the night. My pain med is liquid extra strength tylenol the pain med that was prescribed for me, my insurance co. denied it when my hubby went to get it filled! So Tylenol is it.

I have 5 "holes" where they went in - sore throat due to the tube but all of it is OK :biggrin: I am excited about the next few weeks and getting past all of this. I am returning to work on Monday! Any tips for the first few days/weeks???

Hi Banded,

Your situation sounds as close to mine compared to all I've read. I feel the same as you (I'm also 40, wonder if that has any relation!). Anyway, I had the worst sleep last night I did get the liquid lorsab and I was afraid the pharmacist filled it wrong, so didn't take it over night as my cousin (caretaker) was worried that I may be overdosing as I hadn't eaten much of anything. I spoke with the doctor today and she confirmed I have the right stuff and I'm not holding back now, I'm drinking it down. I wish we were closer so I could share it with you! My worst is getting up off couch and haven't even tried the bed yet. No shoulder pain or gas pain here. The worst was the pain right under my breast where the port was inserted. It's right smack in the middle of my upper stomach (in the middle of my boobs). This morning I thought i wanted to die, excruciating pain when i woke up. Tonite I will medicate and hope it gets better. No complaints here, I gained 3 lbs in surgery and i've lost that already, so that's good. I don't feel hungry only once I questioned whether it was hunger pangs or just incision pains, I ate and i felt better. My cousin is a chef, so it's like having a personal cook, although that would have been more handy BEFORE surgery!!! She even makes the Protein tastes good! She told me not to get the protein power as she will make my diet so that I get enough in! She's the bomb! Good luck and let's keep in touch on progress, that's right, progress, because there is no other outcome!

Brenda

Hello All,

my date is tomorrow! (sept 24th) It was at 1pm, then changed to 8am then just an hour ago changed again to 6am. Excited, nervous...times ticking down

Well I am all done. Sitting in hospital bed the morning after. Pain bit of a nuisance. Feel like I want to do the biggest fart of my life but it won't happen lol.

Also finding it difficult to take deep breaths.

Good luck to everyone else this week. You will get thru it just fine. Xx

Brenda-

I had to laugh maybe it isbeause we are 40! Or too stubborn to take pain meds. I did get a different script since my first one was denied and this time I got Roxicet (liquid oxycodone) and I took some as soon as they got it to me (my son went and picked it up, having an 18 year old can be wonderful!) I feel SO much better!

You will have to share with me what your little chef is cooking up for you! I had a Protein Shake today and it really hit the spot. I was hungry sitting here all day. I have been up walkiing and have done the stairs a couple of times (my room is upstairs) so I have gone up and down a few times and am actually feeling well enough I am going to make dinner for the family tonight. I think they were hoping I would order pizza for them, since I started my pre op diet and am going through this I have made some big changes in what I even keep in the house for the kids and husband as well. It surely wont hurt any of them to make some positive dietary changes along with me. I am looking forward to what your cousin makes so you will have to be sure to share! Looking forward to keeping up with your progress!

Take care

Kay

Awesome, Baby! Glad to hear you're doing so well. It must have been because of me holding your hand. :biggrin: Anyway, I'm doing great too. Had the surgery around 8am and was back in my room by 11am. I had/have virtually no pain, just some discomfort around my incisions. My husband and I went to the grocery store to get my Rx filled on the way home. We walked around there, shopping for about 30 minutes. Came home and rested for a bit. Then, we walked up and down our road for about an hour this evening. I'm really, really trying to avoid the shoulder gas pain. :) Now, I'm reading email and posting on the forum! As for food, I've not been the least bit hungry. I sipped on Water and juice since surgery, and I had a s/f Jello cup. But that's all. I'm not sure if that's good or not.

Well, great job today! And please check in tomorrow, if you feel like it. Doesn't feel GREAT on this side of the band?! LOVIN' IT!!!!:lol2::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1:

Ha ha, you are right it was you holding my hand! Tell hubby thanks for letting me borrow it! I ended up with alot of pain, not shoulder just the pain of the incisions and the port, I then realized I wasn't allowing myself the full dose of meds that I was supposet to take. My cousin was fearful that I didn't get the right script so we took it easy on the meds until I got to call the doc today. She confirmed it was right and I've been sucking it down. No need to allow discomfort if not necessary. I did not sleep much at all last night but, hope to tonite after I take the meds. I was in agonizing pain when I got up this am and thought for sure I needed to go the ER. Even though I shorted myself on meds I was glad to be safe than sorry. My cousin didn't stay with me, but my uncle was here all night. I needed help getting up. Ughhh, I gained 3lbs in the hospital and I have lost that. I can't imagine I'm not losing more as I'm eating next to nothing and drinking lots of water.

Will you be weighing yourself? Seems no one is mentioning weight! I will be weighing myself in the a.m. Tune in!

Brenda

Well fellow bandsters, it has been a week and I am still kicking. This week has been a whirlwind. You are constantly thinking and asking questions to yourself. Will the gas pain go away? Have I taken my pain meds? Do I really need the pain meds? (ouch, ohh, ahh, yes I do) Why can't I poop? When will I be able to sleep on my stomach again? Have I eaten this hour? Did I get enough Protein? (makes a huge difference, I actually felt human after getting more protein) Has it been 1/2 hour yet? Can I drink? Is this too much to lift? Is that hunger? Why have my RLS (restless leg syndrome) symptoms back and why have I not slept in 3 days? (it turns out that with just 6 days without my cal/mag my RLS symptoms have returned with a vengence. I went out and got some liquid cal and what I thought had magnesium in it but it did not. Dohhh!:biggrin:)

The poor nurse who called me on Tuesday must have thought I was absolutely crazy. I returned to work on Monday and on Tuesday I had 3 1hr presentations to approx 30 each grade 1 classes on rhyming. She called me after I had just gotten back to the office, I was still full of adrenaline, and I had alot of questions and concerns that had built up over the week. Well I think I unloaded all of my questions without taking a breath. She probably found it difficult to get a word in edgewise and at the end of the conversation she says, "i will have the dietician get back to you maybe we need to adjust something, you don't normally talk that fast."

Everyday brings a little more calmness to my body. I am looking forward to mushie foods on Wednesday. I am apprehensive about having the cravings return. So far, so good.

Take care everyone,

Hello All,

my date is tomorrow! (sept 24th) It was at 1pm, then changed to 8am then just an hour ago changed again to 6am. Excited, nervous...times ticking down

Good luck psychrn, good luck! All will be fine. let us know and try not to be nervous, it makes for more pain!

Hey I wonder how Brian LA is doing, I feel like he was our only guy, but I miss so many posts he probably posts every day, Hope you're recovering well Brian, and everyone else of course, I love seeing all the different recoveries, I too am 40 so hopefully I'll be laughing like you all are. hope all goes well with the scale, too, I got frustrated, I stopped losing weight when I weaned my daughter, I don't know if it cause I'm not letting the same Fluid out or what. but I'm on strike from the scale, I don't even feel hungery where I used to feel revenous, so that's good. sick of shakes, I'm gonna miss making shakes with ice in the blender, I hear that is awful post band, is this true, I love the shake like texture. Made the most gross shake today, some premixed vanilla and some diet orange pop, dont know what I was thinking, not a fan of orange pop even with sugar.

Oh gotta go make the kids a snack, happy equinox and full moon

"Hi"....I am a newbie to post but I am also anxious, nervous, excited, and to be honest, a little scared...all of a sudden, my surgery date is SATURDAY(9/25)! I have a hiatal hernia and will stay overnight....surgery is at Rex, Raleigh, NC and I am 60 years young!!

Hi Jason's mom. I had my surgery at REX on 9/11 and everyone was wonderful. I had the hernia removed at the same time. Nurses, and aids were all so very nice. They were patient with me and my pain, when I needed to go for a walk. I also spent an extra night in the hospital too. I had to be there at 0515 so I didn't have much sleep before hand. In the prep room they gave me fuzzy socks, and the blankets were heated, it was awesome. Good luck and keep in touch.