Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How painful was your surgery on a scale of 1-10

How painful was your surgery?

Where was the majority of the pain at? (shoulder pain, port, incisions)

How many days was it really bad before it got better?

I would have to rate my pain as a 4-5. The most discomfort I had was at the port site. I am 3 weeks out and still from time to time have discomfort there, usually if the waistband of my shorts or pants is resting on the port site. All in all, I would have to say this was a VERY easy surgery and recovery and been pretty easy as well.

Congratulations and good luck!

I am 2 1/2 years out now. I'd put it no higher than a 4. For me the worst was the left shoulder pain from the gas used during the surgery, the port site would be second.

I used all the pain meds they gave me.

The first 3 days or so were the worst of it. The rest was mostly just tired and achy. But I caught a cold sometime around the time I was in the hospital. So that didn't help the tiredness.

My abosolute worst experience was the first night. I was released the day of my surgery. I slept in bed. I woke up in the middle of the night after the pain meds had worn off. I could not sit up or roll over. I had to wake hubby to help me up and get me meds. He was a sweetie!!

If I were to do it again, I'd spend the first night in the recliner.

I'd say 3-4. It wasn't too bad, and it was my first surgery ever. The pain meds really help.

Well its not child birth................for sure. two three days of physical discomfort mostly from the gas in the belly procedure used in all Laproscopic surgery. I took a week off from work and felt just fine when I returned

I just had surgery on July 13th, it was my first surgery ever and I would say the pain was a 3. It wasnt as bad as I expected, trying to sleep was the worst. The only thing that really hurt was trying to get up or having to sit back down. After 2 days the pain went away and today I feel great, I dont even feel like I have been banded.

I'm either a huge baby, or I have a really low pain tolerance. It was my first surgery, and I have to say, I'm incredibly frightened to have another one. For me, probably like a 8-9. The gas pain in my left shoulder was excruciating, and all my incisions was through my abs, so they were incredibly sore, along with the incisions. It took about a week for some relief. I didn't take any pain meds though, since they make me sick. I'm still having some port site pain, but it's much much more tolerable. I wish I was one of the lucky ones to have minimal discomfort!

Well its not child birth................for sure. two three days of physical discomfort mostly from the gas in the belly procedure used in all Laproscopic surgery. I took a week off from work and felt just fine when I returned

I only asked b/c I've had 5 surgeries total- 3 of them were abdominal and the only one I had pain with was my knee surgery.

I'm just wondering if I might get through this without pain also.

I rate the pain right after surgery a 3 but by the next day it was a 1, I had surgery on Tuesday and went to work on Thursday.

I took gas-x in the hospital. I bought it in and took myself. I never had gas pain. Don't tell them. It's over the counter and not going to do a thing to you. I had no pain. None. I was just sore when I took a deep breath. I had it 5/4 and I'm 56.

I rate it very low, a 3 probably. I had my gallbladder out about 7 weeks before and it was a 10. I took the pain med for a few days but found I really didn't need it. The port site is the worst, and it is more an irritation. My problem is that I am just so tired.

How painful was your surgery?

Where was the majority of the pain at? (shoulder pain, port, incisions)

How many days was it really bad before it got better?

Great question.

I would have to say that it was no more than a 4. The most pain was in the biggest incision on the left hand side, where the port is. But that's what pain medication is for.

I had my surgery on Friday and I was back to work on Tuesday. Of course I had to stop the pain medication in order to drive so I only need that for about 2 days after I came home. The pain was pretty much gone after about a week. It took me about 2 weeks to be totally back to normal.

And I also had gallbladder surgery, which I have to say was alot more painful than the lapband surgery. I've also had open heart surgery which is probably one of the most painful surgeries that you can have. So lapband surgery was a peice of cake to me.

Edited by Astrasmom

The shoulder pain was definitely the worst for me. Today is 3rd day later and my stomach is only a bit sore - I can get up and down from/into a lying flat position by myself. I'm no taking the pain meds anymore - just some tylenol. I thought my shoulder pain was gone, but it has appeared again today...bummer. Oh well, it's more of a nuisance at this point. Overall, I am pleased with the recovery - it has been better than I thought it would be! I would say 4 for my abdomen and 5 for the shoulder (first day). Today I'm about at a 2 overall. I still get nervous to cough and look for my pillow :) Going to get a manicure tomorrow!:biggrin:

Probably a 4... maybe a 5.

Probably a 3 - mostly due to the gas and shoulder pain.

However - I think the pain, from eating, later is worse than the surgery. Again, nothing unbearable...but learning to eat, with Lapband, isn't for the faint of heart.