Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

~*~ Workout Challenge and Chat Thread ~*~

Good morning everyone! Well it's a new month and new opportunity to get off that couch and find something that entertains you to move, move, MOVE!!

I finally purchased a higher end treadmill that can withstand a heavy girl such as myself and go easy on my jacked up knees. I have arthritis going on in there, in case you didn't know or even cared.

I LOVE MY TREADMILL!!!!!!! I can actually walk on it without pain! It's so awesome, because that was the one thing I truly "enjoyed" doing as far as burning calories. That being walking and hopefully again jogging and even running.

To get to my jogging and running again I'll need to drop at least 40-60 lbs (I gained most of it... but whatever. It will come off again) and I'll have surgery on both knees to clean out the spurs that are causing me pain.

So, without further a-do, here is my workout plan for this month: :tt1:

SATURDAY:

4:30 am – Interval training, Spinner, Elliptical, Treadmill – 10 minutes each.

6:00 pm – Interval training, Spinner, Elliptical, Treadmill – 10 minutes each.

6:30 pm – Wii Fit, 30 Minutes

SUNDAY:

MONDAY:

6:00 pm – Calisthenics, strength training – 30 Minutes

TUESDAY:

WEDNESDAY:

6:00 pm – Calisthenics, strength training – 30 Minutes

THURSDAY:

FRIDAY:

~*~ OFF DAY, NO WORKOUTS ~*~

Hey LilMiss! Sorry about your knees. I had a spur on my shoulder a long time ago and it was painful, so I feel for you. Hope the surgery will fix your knees.

I wasn't really consistent with checking in last month, but I did stick to my C25k plan religiously! It's taking a little longer than I thought this time, with having to repeat weeks. I am moving on to week 4 tomorrow.

So, this month, I am going to focus purely on the Couch to 5K. I will do it 3 times a week. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's what I feel I need to do. I would lose weight if I could just get a handle on my food. I am working on it though.

Let's have a great month!!

Hi Georgia, thanks for checking in!

My knees will come along soon, hopefully sooner rather than later for sure.

Your plan, as long as it works for you and keeps you from sizzling out is fair. I think I get too over zealous and end up just defuncting out... which is NOT good! Hang in there, I know you can do it.

I have been sticking to my routine! 30 in the morning is the big thing for me right now (unless its a morning where I can sleep in and then I do 30 at night). If I don't stick to it religiously thats ok. I'm not just going to give up. The main thing is I just have to do something, or anything!

Best of all that's good to everyone! Even if you're just quietly reading along, I hope this helps to get you the motivation necessary to lose weight and keep it off for good. :)

I started week 4 of c25k this morning....whew, it was pretty rough. In weeks 1,2, and 3, the complete running portion of each workout was 8 or 9 minutes total (switching up the time of walking and running each week). Well, it jumped from 9 minutes of running to 16 minutes of running this week! Big difference! I will probably be on week 4 for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer.

All in all, I feel really good today!

Hey gg, you are doing really good. I'm super happy for you - as long as you're doing it then you get an A in my book! I can't wait until I get my knees fixed up and lose more so I can start running again. My knees cannot withstand the weight right now. I'm also afraid to mess them up again so I'll wait for now until I lose again.

I really want to wait until I'm in the 100's to start running again. I can walk tho, so that's second best!

I did get up early in the a.m. to get my workout in. I did 25 minutes on my elliptical machine. Not exactly what I put on my schedule, but hey I did something. Besides, of all the workouts I do it burns the most calories, so I can't get mad at myself too much.

I played around too much during the holiday weekend so I have not lost any. :-( That stinks to all that's good, but hey it's a new day like I always say. Actually my eating was really good yesterday.

I had Slim Fast for Breakfast

Lean Cuisine for lunch

Taco Soup and a handful of whole grain chips for dinner

Snacks, banana, lite yogurt and popcorn at night.

The popcorn was not lite so that was not good - but other than that I did well. :confused:

Hey what if we started posting a lighter version of what we're eating too. I think that will help me out some. I really can't do too much food journaling. I get really burnt out on it if it asks too much - but if its generalized I know I'll do it.

What you say?

I'd also like to see more people posting too. Challenge yourself. Are you in it to win it? Or are you thinking the band is gonna work itself? Just curious.

That sounds great LilMiss! food is where I run into trouble. Just can't seem to get back on track with it.

I have had a stomach virus since Tuesday evening and I haven't been able to run. I don't think I will be able to tomorrow either. This is one long stomach virus! I will probably visit the doc tomorrow if I don't feel better.

As soon as I'm over this crappy virus, I'll start posting my food. I think it will help me too!

at myself too much.

I'd also like to see more people posting too. Challenge yourself. Are you in it to win it? Or are you thinking the band is gonna work itself? Just curious.

Hi!

I started working out more intensly a couple of weeks ago. For a couple of years now I've been walking around 30 mins every day at work. Now I've hired a trainer at the Y and am doing weights and more cardio. This week I did:

Sun: 30 mins cardio/30 mins weights

Mon: no workout

Tues: saw the trainer and did 30 mins weights with cardio mixed and then another 20 mins of cardio

Wed: 20 mins cardio and 30 weights

Thurs: 30 mins cardio and 30 mins weights

Fri: 10 mins cardio/30 mins weights and then a 1 hr walk

Sat: 15 cardio/20 weights

I alternate the weights so I don't work the same muscles 2 days in a row.

When I do the cardio, I rotate around the elliptical, bike and stair climber (the one with the actual stairs) sometimes I do a bit of each and sometimes all on one machine. I also do stepups on the weight bench--those kill me! I also do my 30 mins of walking almost every day during the week.

I've been going after work and in the mornings on the weekends.

My goal is to get to where I was 15 yrs ago when I worked out every day--either a class, Jazzercise or just cardio. That will be a lot harder to achieve now that I have kids though!:confused:

Mary

gg, I do hope you are beginning to feel better. :-( I really hate being sick myself, especially when it interferes with my workout routines. I love to workout but even then it's really easy to just start saying "meh, I'll start again tomorrow". I know how hard you have been working on your couch to 5k!

Welcome Mary! Wow it really sounds like you're getting your stuff together! Good for you!

Your machine workouts sounds much like how I've been doing mine. I've not made myself an actual workout regimen. I kinda did but I also tell myself as long as I'm breaking a sweat doing something several times per day then I'm doing good!

The last few days I've been getting up really early in the morning. Right after my good ole cup o'coffee I get in my workout room. I've been alternating between my elliptical, treadmill and spinner. I do a 30 minute routine pre-set by the machine. I do stay in the target zones or above so I know I'm burning well. Another reason I know is because I come off sweating and my pulse much elevated!!

It feels great though and my mood has been improving alot every day. I feel more and more every day that I really can do this and I really want to succeed. My eating habits, though still not perfect have been improving right along with my workouts. Amazing isn't it???

Hopefully on Friday my "official weigh day" I'll have posted a loss!

Today I did 30 on my elliptical, and in one hour I'll do my outside mile walk. Then this evening I'll do 30 on my treadmill and 30 on my Wii fit game.

Hang in there everybody!! You can do it!!

Hopefully on Friday my "official weigh day" I'll have posted a loss!

Today I did 30 on my elliptical, and in one hour I'll do my outside mile walk. Then this evening I'll do 30 on my treadmill and 30 on my Wii fit game.

LilMiss, you are inspiring me - you are doing great workouts! I'm impressed you are getting up so early too. I've tried that before, and it lasts about 2 days before I can't get out of bed that early. :grouphug:

Today I did 20 on the elliptical, 35 mins of walking, and then 30 mins of weights. I think I might have overdone it a bit on the arms though. My right arm is feeling pretty weak right now.

I also had my slice of turkey and a slice of cheese for dinner, but then got hungry again and just had a slice of cheese and 4 crackers. Hopefully I'm not negating everything I just worked out for!

Edited by marykb

Mary, thanks for the inspiration! I personally don't think you are negating anything. It doesn't sound like much food at all. Girl, you gotta get some veggies too :grouphug:

I hope your arm feels better soon too. I hate feeling injured and it keeps me from a full scale workout like I should do.

I followed my workout regimen like I said I would do yesterday. I feel really good, even though I am feeling a little bit sore. I haven't felt that in a long time! It makes me wanna workout more.

I did 30 on my spinner early this morning and I also walked at work here for 30 minutes. At home I'm going to do 30 on the elliptical and then 30 minutes calisthenics.

Good luck everyone! Keep up that sweat!!

LilMiss, you are awesome! You are so consistent!

I worked with my trainer last night. She had me doing a lot of lunges and squats. :) Then she showed me some new upper and lower body stuff.

This am. I did 15 minutes on the stair climber, although I had to take a breather at the 10 minute mark. Then, I did 5 on the bike. I would have liked to do more on the bike, but I was running behind and had to get to work.

My trainer was telling me she went to a conference last weekend and they did a lot of talking about rest days. She was telling me that there are a lot of people who work out at the same level all of the time and get really frusttrated because they aren't seeing results. You have to have at least one day and probably 2 days of downtime to recover. On those days you shouldn't do any weights and tone down the cardio. She did make a point of telling me that taking one or two days off doesn't mean you are lazy. I'm someone who thinks that if a little is good, a lot is better and if I don't do a lot then I'm lazy--she is starting to know me well. :puke:

Hi Mary!

Good for you and your workouts with your trainer! I wish I had one... I might consider one someday.

You are absolutely right when it comes to taking a day or two off from workouts. Your body does need to repair and re-coup. In fact my off day from workouts is Fridays. So, I still have to go through one and a half more days and I am there... I'm exhausted I won't lie. It's been awhile since I've worked out this much but I'm getting back into it day by day.

Yesterday I did 30 spinner in the early am, then I did a 30 minute walk at work, 25 elliptical and 15 calisthenics. I jipped myself on 20 minutes worth but I'm ok with that. I at least did a little bit of everything I was set to do.

Today I did 30 on my treadmill, 30 min walk at work, and I'm going to finish the day with 30 spinner and 30 minutes playing with my Wii.

I love the Wii! It's very fun and and its a fun interactive way to do a weight check in and learn some nice balancing tricks. It's not super difficult, however it does keep me away from the kitchen!

Ok I'll check back soon! Get ur sweat on everyone!

LilMiss, what do you do on the Wii? I did some of the Yoga on Wii Fit for awhile, but haven't done it in over a year.

I can't do any workouts at the Y today or tomorrow. My husband is in school and at a clinical for 12 hours both days and the kids have a bunch of activities. I'm planning on going on Sunday morning when my husband is around to be with the kids. I thought that tonight and tomorrow night might be good times to try out some stuff on the Wii.

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't checked in much lately. I have been having some hellacious stomach problems! I was sick for a solid week with it, then got better, then more trouble for a couple of days. I am finally feeling like my old self agian!

I only ran once last week and I've ran twice this week so far. I plan of running again tomorrow night. Normally I wouldn't run two days in a row, but I going to ATL Friday to see Grace Potter and The Nocturnals in concert. Can't wait!! I know if I don't run tomorrow, I may skip it over the weekend.

You guys are doing GREAT!! You guys have inspired me to step it up notch next month and add something new. I love the Couch to 5K, but it's not enough. The weight isn't coming off. I am still doing really good with it. I'm on week 4 and hope to move up to week 5 next week.

Hey hey hey everyone!! I kinda just changed the thread name. I figured why keep making a new one every month? It seems kind of confusing so we'll just keep one open at all times and when it gets too full, I can close this one and start a new one. :)

Mary, on the Wii I do my body tests and age test things. I really like it. On the last one I scored 55 years old!! Ok maybe if you're 65 that's great, but for goodness sake I'm 36! I was NOT happy about that at all. I was actually kind of mortified... haha! Not only that I pretty much do a little of everything on there. I just go through the entire list of what they have and do one from each section at least. Its very lo-key but at least I'm doing that instead of my night time snacking. That is my danger time.

Anyway, I've been bumping up the routine and I am doing excellent for someone my weight and with the condition of my knees.

Yesterday I walked/jogged a total of 4.5 miles for the day. I couldn't believe it. 1.25 of those miles were outside and the rest was on my treadmill. I felt sooo exhausted after but I also felt an incredible sense of accomplishment. I thoroughly enjoy the walking and jogging aspect of my workouts.

I have been sticking to my workout routine to a T and then some. I have a minimal schedule and if I feel like I can tack on an extra mile, and extra 100 Calories burned or extra time then I do it. I have to keep pushing my body to its limit or it will get sedentary on what I'm doing. I do not want that to happen! I wanna keep upping my level.

Eventually I intend to complete my Billy's Boot Camp, a full 5k (running) then up from there, P90X and my ultimate goal right now is the workout video Insanity. Ok, we're talking way into the future - but hey everyone has their 5 Year outlook right??? hehe :thumbup: