Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance only approved Outpatient surgery - is that normal ?

So I was approved for my August 2nd surgery by Dr. Ren at NYU. Thing is it is just outpatient. I know that that buys me 23 hours and 29 mins in the hospital but I am scared that they are gonna cut me then kick me out. :tt2: Has anybody had any experience with outpatient surgery ?

I have BCBS. My letter said the same thing. I called and spoke with them and they said that as long as it is deemed medically neccesary then they will approve a longer stay. I had been on Bloodthinners so my surgeon mentioned they may need to keep me for 2-3 days for lapband. Some people leave an hour after the surgery. My surgeon keeps everyone "overnight" and does not have people leave immediatly. Personnally I would'nt want to do that anyway. At 17 I had my tonsils out as day surgery. I had complications with my pain killers and was in very rough shape. Not sure what my mother was thinking having me go directly home after that surgery. We had Federal BCBS.

I had Outpatient surgery for my lapband. Back home recovering in the comfort of my own bed in 5 hours. It was awesome! GOOD LUCK!!

I have BCBS. My letter said the same thing. I called and spoke with them and they said that as long as it is deemed medically neccesary then they will approve a longer stay. I had been on Bloodthinners so my surgeon mentioned they may need to keep me for 2-3 days for LAP-BAND®. Some people leave an hour after the surgery. My surgeon keeps everyone "overnight" and does not have people leave immediatly. Personnally I would'nt want to do that anyway. At 17 I had my tonsils out as day surgery. I had complications with my pain killers and was in very rough shape. Not sure what my mother was thinking having me go directly home after that surgery. We had Federal BCBS.

Thanks - I was just told that the 23 hours would keep me to the next morning and that if i needed more time that the hospital would need to get further approval then. I have BCBS also... Its just a bit frustrating all of the hoops that you have to go through !

I have BCBS and was also only allowed outpatient surgery. I didn't have any problems with the surgery. I was wheeled in for surgery at 10 am and was actually walking out of the hospital at 12:15! I REALLY wanted to go home!

My surgeon said that all of his surgeries are on an outpatient basis. He said that only his highest risk patients are ever anticipated to spend the night in the hospital and be monitored during recovery. He said that if a patient is having problems after surgery they will be admitted and stay longer, but that only happens in 1 out of 20 cases for him.

Good luck to you! Don't worry about the 23-hour limit. If you are truly having issues after your surgery you won't be kicked out of the hospital. I am sure that your insurance will pay for additional time if your doctor deems it necessary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches