Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Upper GI Results

Even though my belly burns and hurts, the radiologist didn't see any leaks. I'm really frustrated at the lack of time he spent with me. From now on I think we all need to bring a friend with us when we get tested. I could have used my hubby whipping out his buck knife and making Doctor give me the time of f-ing day.

How much barium should I have swallowed? Does 2 medicine cups (miniature shots) sound right? That's all they gave me, just a few sips, turn left, turn right, "You're fine."

I said, "WAIT!" I asked to show me the band (big inconvenience) so he briefly pointed it out while telling the tech to print the page. I asked, "Do I have restriction?" He said the liquid went straight through, but he said the band looked good. I asked if they'd seen bands before, and they were reluctant to tell me anything. I asked if he'd seen erosion before, or a leaking band...... hello, hello? Where did you go? Where did the doc go?"

Gone. So, according to the Upper GI doctor, my band looks fine and I need to shut up.

With these results, I'm not sure my insurance will cover an endoscopy. I'm going to say it, so get your shoes ready - I was really hoping for erosion to get this thing out of me. But the tech, at the last second, said, "Now you go home and adhere to your band rules." SO THEY HAVE SEEN BANDS! She finally admitted they'd seen them.

Lisa -

What in the world....."I was really hoping for erosion to get this thing out of me."

Why do you feel that way? What's up with you and what is making you feel like that?

Nancy

Gee Lisa I don't know what to say? I mean I'm happy nothing is wrong but I'm not so sure if thats what YOU want. Whats up girlie ?

I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I WANT A LOCAL BAND DOCTOR! I refuse to continue spending my "otherwise vacation and spending money" on flying here and there every time I need a doctor. Maybe now this Gastroenterologist will help me, but that doesn't give me a port. The results were bitter-sweet because now that I know I'm not leaking, I want a f-ing fill. Yes, I'm cussing! But I don't have a port, and I can't/won't/can't/won't bring myself to even begin to think about paying for another port replacement surgery. No, no, no!

So, looks like I gotta work with the restriction Mother Nature left me with. Right now my band hurts, like I have an ulcer. I took Ranitidine. I've been "abusing my temple" lately, and it's time to stop (as I sip Diet Pepsi, HAHAHAHA.)

I just want a local band doctor. That's all. But I can't have one. So I'm stuck.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but at least you can rule out slip and leak.

I would think that they would still suggest the Endo to rule out anything the GI could not tell you.. Hang in there:)

When I have fills under fluoro, they usually ask me to take two or three big swallows of barium overall. So two medicine cups sounds about right; they don't need much to see how things are moving along.

I'm sorry you're so conflicted. You've been faced with extraordinary challenges, band-wise, and have survived them marvelously. Not having a local doctor must be incredibly frustrating--not to mention dangerous considering how many issues you've had with healing and infection over the last two years.

Ever think of moving? :D

Alex, at least you can make me laugh through all this! But you better be careful, because if we went anywhere, it would be New Jersey. Hi-dee-ho, Good Neighbor! Scary, huh?

Thanks for at least putting me at ease with my diet-barium drink. It was about 2 baby cups that you get on top of cough medicine, so probably only a couple ounces. I'm going to make a follow-up with my gastro for a good long talk. This time I'll go armed with a list so I don't get stage fright. I want to ask him to confer with other doctors to put me at ease.

Thanks for the really badly needed laugh :D

Lisa, hopefully these results can put your mind at ease a bit atleast until you see a band doctor or have an endo. I'm happy for you your band looks good..if anyone desreves that, it is definately you for all that you have endured.

DeLarla, you have been hard on your beloved band (and you know it is, even though you scorn it sometimes!) so treat it nicely. Take your Ranitidine twice a day and drink some Aloe Vera juice twice a day. It heals everything from the top to the bottom. It's good for your band. Good for your body. Do what you can to make it easy on your tummy with the foods you eat/avoid. You don't want a fill if your tummy is burning and painful! Glad you aren't slipped or leaking. It really is good news!!!

Alex, at least you can make me laugh through all this! But you better be careful, because if we went anywhere, it would be New Jersey. Hi-dee-ho, Good Neighbor! Scary, huh?

Nothing scares me anymore. :D And there are some REALLY GOOD band docs in New Jersey!!

Nothing scares me anymore. :) And there are some REALLY GOOD band docs in New Jersey!!

Ditto's :D Dirty Jersey has some great doctors.

Now be good to yourself..... YES your worth it !!!!

I was really hoping for erosion to get this thing out of me.

I really don't think you mean this, you are just frustrated right now. Maybe next time you have problems go to the hospital, if they have to have a band doctor come in, then he treats you, you become a patient.

So I'm awake trying to figure out why my belly was hurting. Then last night I never really got restricted. I think I've lost my restriction, and maybe the bottom portion of my belly is irritated because it's not used to having stuff down there. Heck, I don't know, but I'm not restricted any more, and it happened fast. I'm gonna swallow a big pill now and I hope I get that awful feeling.

I was a little better to my band yesterday and will try to stick within my portions. I'm going on vaca next week and it would be nice to drop a pound.

Aloe Vera juice simply gags me, like my whole body shudders, but I guess that does sound really healing. How do you get that stuff down?