Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell your employer & co-workers?

I don't plan to tell anyone at work. I told my boss that I have to have a minor procedure and need to be out for a week and she approved it with no questions. I am at a new job and don't feel obligated to share my personal information with anyone at this point. As I lose weight, I will just say its diet and exercise because it will be.

I took 3 days of vacation - went in on the 3rd day - and just had to go home. I felt better on day 4 and was able to work all day. I told them that I spent my vacation days being sick - stomach problems :) No one even thought twice about it. 2 weeks since my surgery - I'm glad that I didn't tell. I work closely with senior management and I just don't want them to look down on me. They are all very nice, but very fit people.

One thing I found out in this process is that my company has a self funded insurance program through Aetna, and our HR department sees EVERY claim. All weight related services are specifically excluded from our insurance - so I didn't even attempt to try for approval. But, I know that has it been covered, my HR department would have known all about it. Unfortunately, our HR manager is as professional as a 2 year old, so it would have been no secret.

Oh I like that, minor surgical procedure.

I think I will use that!!

I told one co-worker because she's a good friend of mine, and I didn't tell anyone else. Everyone is really curious though, so I said I was having some surgery on my stomach, but I'm very uncomfortable talking about it. Most of my co-workers have been very understanding, except my manager. She is a terrible manager, and she is such a micro-manager, she has to know EVERYTHING that you do outside of work. Since I've been gone, I go back Monday, she has been questioning everyone on why I'm out. I'm going to talk to her Monday and tell her that she had no right to do that, to question everyone and to make them uncomfortable. It's a HIPAA violation. I'm also going to tell her that I'm reporting her to the HR rep, because I've had enough, you know? She may be curious, but my privacy is something she should respect.

I work with a team of people that I am close to and have known for years so I told them ALL and my boss and of course my family. Other co-workers have asked me if I have lost weight(I have and its noticible) have asked me what I am doing and some of them I tell, some not. Just depends.

You do what is best for you and what you feel comfortable sharing. I am an open book to an extent and if my experience can help someone else, I share!

If you tell one co-worker, figure it will get around to all co-workers. Unless it is a very close friend you can trust explicitly. So many here have told one co-worker or worse, a boss, only to have the entire staff know the next minute.

I am very open so I told anyone who asked what my secret to losing was.

I just didn't feel right leaving out the tidbit of having a band. Because I was always looking for the 'magic pill' when I'd see others losing weight. I got interested in WLS when someone that I didn't think was very overweight to begin with got down to a fantastic weight opened up to me that she had gastric bypass.

Saying you are eating better/less and exercising is certainly no lie! For me? I didn't really care who knew...so I told. Except for my MIL who'd have made such an issue about it, and would still be asking me to this day if I was OK from my surgery, bless her heart. She thinks I am eating right and exercising :sad:. She won't tell anyone that her gall bladder is about to blow up she's in such pain, but heaven forbid anyone gets a paper cut, we get asked about it from months!

I told my male principal I "needed surgery" and had my hand over my abdomen. I am sure he thought it was "woman issues" and he left it at that. I told way too many people after the fact and am sorry I did, especially since I have seeming failed at this. I have lost a bit over 40 pounds and someone at school asked me when I could expect to see weight loss as I looked bigger than ever.

My advice: tell only your spouse and friends. No one at work.

I just told everyone that i was having hernia surgery, which I did have one so it was not really lying. With the weight loss, they knew I had to go through a preop diet and I just told them I continued with it afterward, they have not noticed much of the weight loss since they see me daily. They just notice that I do not eat sugar and no caffeine and exercise on both breaks and lunch so they just assume it is frmo exercise and good eating and I have not corrected them. I know if I would have told anyone at work the whole place would have known before the end of the day. Do what you feel comfortable with. It is your decision if you tell anyone and the consequences will be what you have to live with not anyone else, so you have ot do what you are comfortable with.

Well I said "hernia" as well.....to those that I didn't want to know the truth. Then a week out of surgery Karma kicked me in the side with an inguinal hernia....having surgery July 20 for that so within 3 weeks time I will have had 2 surgeries!!!!

snip -

I have lost a bit over 40 pounds and someone at school asked me when I could expect to see weight loss as I looked bigger than ever.

This person could use a voicebox band with a 10cc fill. Incredibly rude!

LOL Thanks for that. This woman is certainly no stick figure either.

This woman is certainly no stick figure either.

Which is exactly why she said what she said. She can see you are having success and is jealous and wanted to take a jab at you! Personally I would have said - From what I can see I will be seeing success much faster than you are!

Two of my co-workers know about it, one because she had originally looked into WLS then decided against it; the other is a close friend, who is just now starting to make snarky comments. She is always chasing the magic easy solution, then says, "Well I can't have a lap band, so I thought I'd try (insert latest fad/diet..."

My other co-workers if they ask why I'll be off work I said I was having a hiatal hernia repaired, which I will. My boss never even asked, just approved my time off. She's retiring soon and really has already checked out.

Oh and of course my DH. He seems pretty distinterested.:smile: Feeling a bit insecure I suspect.

18 more days to go!! WOOHOO!!

I only told one person at work who I am really close to but I didn't tell anyone else, even the people I eat lunch with everyday. I said I was having some personal minor surgery, if they really pressed me, I said I was having a cyst removed. As far as my eating, I told them I was trying a new diet. It's whatever you're comfortable with. I work at a school and it's like a small town, everyone tells everyone everything--I did not want to be the topic of their conversations. In my personal life, my husband and son know and some close friends. I don't think you have to tell, only if you want to.