Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiously Awaiting Approval

My name is Erika, I went and spoke to the lap band center here in my city out of curiosity, I am done with my nutrition consults and I am now awaiting the approval from my insurance company. I started the process in April and now I am so nervous during the waiting phase. :thumbup:

Hey Erika...Welcome. I am in the same boat as you. Just finished my 3 months of Nutrition appointments. Just waiting for Insurance now. I have BCBS IL PPO. Cant wait to get this journey started. :grouphug:

HELLO I am waiting also,I am cleared through insurance but I still have to have my appointment with the surgeon and get my letter of approval.It is rough going through all the steps without even know if you are getting the surgery.I travel almost 2 hours one way to my appointments and some of them only last 15 mintutes.I just want to know that I get the surgery.I would love to have a set date but I am still waiting as well.It is kind of discouraging but all I can do is pray and wait.Good luck

count me in too pappers were sent to the insurance yesterday now I just sit and wait I hope no longer then August.

I was told that it could be 4 days to 2 more weeks till i get an answer. This is more nerve wrecking than the first time. I hear Aetna is fast. I guess we will see. :)

I was told that it could be 4 days to 2 more weeks till i get an answer. This is more nerve wrecking than the first time. I hear Aetna is fast. I guess we will see. :)

Hi,

My doctors office said some are getting approved in 24 hrs I will believe that when I see it.:puke:

wow is that with a specific insurance or just 24 hours at random? That would be FANTASTIC! but I wont hold my breath on it, ha ha :sad:

I was told that it could be 4 days to 2 more weeks till i get an answer. This is more nerve wrecking than the first time. I hear Aetna is fast. I guess we will see. :sad:

After reading several posts, it appears that AETNA can be fast but can also be very slow. I started the process with AETNA back in July 2009, didn't get a decision until October and was denied. Completed the 6 month requirement of doctor supervised diet in April and re-submitted. Still waiting for an answer in July 2010. It appears to be dependent on your specific situation and your policy....I have one of the AETNA POS II plans. Best of luck to you and everyone else on here....it is very nerve racking and frustrating.

Edited by Zippy74

Hi,

Why were you denied?I think it is all in the way it is worded.Some one on here at a form for the way it should be sent in but when I went to ask for a copy of it I went off line and couldn't find it was I came back on here to look for it.

i dont know what kind of insurance was going through that fast I can only hope that its mine .let me know when u get appooved and I will let you know if I get approved so that we know were not to far appart good luck

Hi, all! Not to beat a dead horse...But I, too, am awaiting approval from Cigna. I just want to continue to be optimistic, although I really do expect quite a fight from them. They have some kind of weird, discriminatory clause (here in Arizona) that won't let CHN employees or their spouses (?) get this surgery. Unfair! I wrote an email to a physician and he invited me in for a consult. Now I am referred to the nutritionist and the psychologist, but we will see. Good luck to all of you who are waiting.

I went to my required consult with my family doc in April and had to wait 3 months to get my 1st consult with the bariatric center (ITS TOMORROW! YAY!). In the mean time I took the liberty of calling my insurance to see if this was a covered procedure and the woman I talked to told me it was...after reading all these posts about 6 month diets and other requirements I am nervous that I should have asked her if I needed to do any of that. I guess I was just so excited that I didnt think to ask! now its 3 months later and I will be so bummed if I have to start the 6 month diet now!

IM SO NERVOUS! :tt2:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. To answer the question "Why were you denied?":

AETNA states the reason was because I had not followed a 6 month doctor supervised diet. They wouldn't accept that I've been on a strict diebetic diet with Dr. documented weight data every three months for the past 5 years and that I am at the end of my rope with the diabetes. I'm alergic to the non-weight gaining diabetic medications and I'm maxed out on the dosage as well. I've been working with one of the best bariatric surgery centers in Orange Co. California and supposedly the wording has been the best that it can be. When I called Aetna I was told that even if I were on my death bed I'd be required to complete the 6 month diet. But it's also my understanding that the requirement is dependent on the policy itself. So, some of us with AETNA will get this road block where as others will not.

Congrats and good luck on your approval/journey! I never had to go through the waiting for approval process. My insurance company basically told me yes over the phone. Here's to you getting approved! :tt2: