Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Groves - Why the wait?

I had my surgery May 14, 2010- Everything went great, and Dr. Groves was WONDERFUL- I really appreciated him coming in and praying before the surgery and being so supportive-

I went in for my post-op 2 weeks after that. Up to that point, my weight-loss had been great. Dr. Groves said to come back in a months time. I go and check out, and get my appointment. Well, when I got home and looked, they had made it for 6 weeks instead. I called (thinking it was just an honest mistake) and they offered to move it up a week. Okay... But that is still longer that a month- So...

As time went on, I could eat whatever I wanted, and was having to fight myself every day to keep from gaining weight. I called them back to try to move it up some more, but the lady said she could only move it up one day. Really? What would the point of that be exactly? She said the doctor was going to be out of the office until then-

Well, then I get a phone call from my friend that uses that doctor- She had just got back from getting a fill- From this doctor that wasn't supposed to even be there. So apparently, they lied to me?? I wanted to call up there and be rude, but I thought better of it, and just waited my 5 weeks.

When I finally got there for my fill, I had lost 1 pound. That really surprised me, since I figured I had gained some. Dr. Groves was as awesome as ever- He did my fill, and told me to come back in a month- When I get my appointment, I noticed it was for 6 weeks AGAIN! Are you kidding me??

So, I go back to the desk, and ask why not a month. She tells me that he is going to be out of the office the 2 weeks prior- SO, once again, I bite my tongue, smile, and leave. The next day, I called back up there, and asked them to move it (to the week before he was going to be out of the office) because my niece is having surgery the scheduled day. This lady was really nice, and moved it up a week for me. So... He ISN'T going to be out of the office? I'm either confused, or I've been lied to again-

My view is this... I paid them a lot of money- My family sacrificed a ton for me to get this surgery- We sold our home, and moved in with my mom. My husband is now working 3 jobs to help pay for it, and this Dr's office is jerking me around, and waisting time- They were great at first. They got me into surgery super fast (and made sure to get my $15,500 even faster) And now that they have my money, they are making me sit at home and wait... I didn't have to wait to pay, but I have to wait for a fill?? And wait and wait.... You get the point!~ It's very frustrating to have my family looking at me like I'm doing something wrong because I'm not losing any weight, and then have this Dr's office make me wait longer that necessary to get my fills-

I don't go back for another fill until August 13- I can already tell that I need another one- I stay full longer than I did before, but I don't get full any faster. I am tired of playing the waiting game here. What would be the harm in getting my fill sooner? Today has been a week- So next Friday, would seem to me, like a reasonable time to get another one-

I dunno.... Dr. Groves is the bomb- I just don't appreciate this over waiting (it just leads to MORE over eating)

Doctor's offices drive me crazy. I've been trying to make my 2 week post-op appointment all week and nobody ever picks up the phone. I've left a message, no reply. I feel your frustration!!

Yeah- That sucks! Did you ever get through?

My weight loss has improved the last week or so, but only from sheer will power- I am down to 214, so I guess I should be happy- I just want my fill, so it won't be quiet as hard!!

I absolutely love my doctor- Just not the appointment making his office does! Lol-

My dr says a month and when i make my appointment its 6 weeks also. For my first three fills then after having it for awhile and seeing how my body does fills i sometimes go in a week early.

I had my surgery May 14, 2010- Everything went great, and Dr. Groves was WONDERFUL- I really appreciated him coming in and praying before the surgery and being so supportive-

I went in for my post-op 2 weeks after that. Up to that point, my weight-loss had been great. Dr. Groves said to come back in a months time. I go and check out, and get my appointment. Well, when I got home and looked, they had made it for 6 weeks instead. I called (thinking it was just an honest mistake) and they offered to move it up a week. Okay... But that is still longer that a month- So...

As time went on, I could eat whatever I wanted, and was having to fight myself every day to keep from gaining weight. I called them back to try to move it up some more, but the lady said she could only move it up one day. Really? What would the point of that be exactly? She said the doctor was going to be out of the office until then-

Well, then I get a phone call from my friend that uses that doctor- She had just got back from getting a fill- From this doctor that wasn't supposed to even be there. So apparently, they lied to me?? I wanted to call up there and be rude, but I thought better of it, and just waited my 5 weeks.

When I finally got there for my fill, I had lost 1 pound. That really surprised me, since I figured I had gained some. Dr. Groves was as awesome as ever- He did my fill, and told me to come back in a month- When I get my appointment, I noticed it was for 6 weeks AGAIN! Are you kidding me??

So, I go back to the desk, and ask why not a month. She tells me that he is going to be out of the office the 2 weeks prior- SO, once again, I bite my tongue, smile, and leave. The next day, I called back up there, and asked them to move it (to the week before he was going to be out of the office) because my niece is having surgery the scheduled day. This lady was really nice, and moved it up a week for me. So... He ISN'T going to be out of the office? I'm either confused, or I've been lied to again-

My view is this... I paid them a lot of money- My family sacrificed a ton for me to get this surgery- We sold our home, and moved in with my mom. My husband is now working 3 jobs to help pay for it, and this Dr's office is jerking me around, and waisting time- They were great at first. They got me into surgery super fast (and made sure to get my $15,500 even faster) And now that they have my money, they are making me sit at home and wait... I didn't have to wait to pay, but I have to wait for a fill?? And wait and wait.... You get the point!~ It's very frustrating to have my family looking at me like I'm doing something wrong because I'm not losing any weight, and then have this Dr's office make me wait longer that necessary to get my fills-

I don't go back for another fill until August 13- I can already tell that I need another one- I stay full longer than I did before, but I don't get full any faster. I am tired of playing the waiting game here. What would be the harm in getting my fill sooner? Today has been a week- So next Friday, would seem to me, like a reasonable time to get another one-

I dunno.... Dr. Groves is the bomb- I just don't appreciate this over waiting (it just leads to MORE over eating)

I like my doctor too. I did get through (after 4 days of phone calls) and saw him today. When I spoke to the office last week, I also asked if I needed to meet with the dietician and they told me no. Well, today, the doctor told me to make an appointment with the dietician. I wish these people could get their acts together.

As hard as it is I would wait at least 3 weeks between fills. I have had one "kick in" 10 days later. I went from no restriction at all to sweet spot, if I had gotten another fill I would have been too tight.

As hard as it is I would wait at least 3 weeks between fills. I have had one "kick in" 10 days later. I went from no restriction at all to sweet spot, if I had gotten another fill I would have been too tight.

Thanks a lot for the advice- Mine seems to be working better now. Either that, or its getting easier.

I stay full longer than I did before, but I don't get full any faster.

Actually, what you're really needing to pay attention to is how satisfied you feel in between meals. The band isn't going to tell you when to stop eating. You need to do that on your own. If you keep eating until you get that full feeling then you've eaten too much. You want to eat just until you don't feel hungry anymore, not full. If you're going for a while in between meals then you've got restriction. You may not be at your sweet spot but don't rush it either. This is forever, not a race.

My surgeon has taught me to gauge when I need a fill on how long I can go in between meals and how well I'm losing.

Good luck and don't put so much pressure on yourself or your band. You need to work with it. It won't do all the work for you.

I know it won't do all of the work- I'm not expecting it to- From what I was told at my nutritionist meeting, I should feel full after 1 cup of food, and that should keep me full at least 4 hours. If the band isn't tight enough, some of the food will go through, and I won't feel full as soon.

I'm just now getting used to the band. I am SUPER far from an expert, and I really appreciate your advice, and wisdom on the subject. All I know, is what I was told by the Dr's office. And they said I should feel full sooner, when my band is filled enough. I don't expect it to be full enough yet, because I have only had one fill.

What has me aggravated is the way they do their appointments, and the fact that they are not being honest with me about not being able to get me in any sooner. To tell me they can't get me in sooner because the doctor isn't going to be there, and then have a friend go and see the doctor, is irritating as hell. I paid them too much to have them lie to me. I hate a liar anyhow. One that I paid to help me is even worse.

The band is working as good as I could expect it to at this point. And I want to stress again (to anyone that may read this that is wanting to use Dr. Groves) He is awesome. Definitely use him! I wouldn't change doctors for anything. Even shorter wait times!

Have you spoken to the Dr about your mistrust of his staff? They may be lying to his patients and he us unaware of it, and it could be hurting his practice.

Have you spoken to the Dr about your mistrust of his staff? They may be lying to his patients and he us unaware of it, and it could be hurting his practice.

No I haven't- Honestly, I was pretty mad when I wrote this. Had I calmed down, I probably wouldn't have-

It still aggravates me that they lied, but when I go, they are all so nice, I don't want to say anything rude to them. And Doc Groves is usually in a hurry, and so stunningly handsome, I forget any questions or issues I may have.

I'm just going to chill out, and wait my 5-6 weeks. I know the pounds will come off eventually. The thrill of losing weight, and knowing another fill could maybe speed it along, makes it hard to sit and wait. Especially since it's longer than the doctor ask me to- But, Now that I have calmed down, I'm really not worried about it.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post-

When my dr says a month it is always 6 weeks to. I use dr Grooves partner I believe its part of thier fill guide lines. I can understand that yuore frustrations lay more on the being lied to by the staff but they probally have alot of patients who know if he is in the office will just show up demanding to see him. I think that may be their way of using a easier method to go by the guidelines than arguing with some patients about changing fill appointments. But I do belive they should just tell it like it is and not lie to you. As for your band it will get esier as you go and as long as your not gaining any loss is good at this point. You will get a fill that does it for you some times it takes a while. It took me nearly a year to even start losing so just hang in there.

Actually' date=' what you're really needing to pay attention to is how satisfied you feel in between meals. The band isn't going to tell you when to stop eating. You need to do that on your own. If you keep eating until you get that full feeling then you've eaten too much. You want to eat just until you don't feel hungry anymore, not full. If you're going for a while in between meals then you've got restriction. You may not be at your sweet spot but don't rush it either. This is forever, not a race.

My surgeon has taught me to gauge when I need a fill on how long I can go in between meals and how well I'm losing.

Good luck and don't put so much pressure on yourself or your band. You need to work with it. It won't do all the work for you.[/quote']

could you elaborate on the guage part of that?

could you elaborate on the guage part of that?

Sure :thumbup:

My surgeon says that as long as I can go 4 hours, or more, in between meals without being hungry then I shouldn't need a fill. If I am able to do that and I am not losing or am gaining then I need to look at what I am eating.

Sure :thumbup:

My surgeon says that as long as I can go 4 hours' date=' or more, in between meals without being hungry then I shouldn't need a fill. If I am able to do that and I am not losing or am gaining then I need to look at what I am eating.[/quote']

thanks I think thats fair