Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An UNfill Adventure (long)

It occurred to me--I'm sometimes a little slow on the uptake--that I had been medicating for reflux for nigh onto three months, with only moderate relief. So, I found a few photos of what esophagitis looked like and went running for an unfill. Dr. Kuri was kind enough to do the unfill. He had also done my first fill, a year ago, even though he was not my surgeon.

Actually, it was the random, spontaneous trip from hell and occasonally a laugh riot. I started the morning in the Laguna Niguel area, brunching with a family member and then talking to my "eating coach" (?--I just made up that title), and deciding that I needed an unfill NOW. I drove down the coast to the next Amtrak stop--San Juan Capistrano--and got there with five minutes to spare for the next train! I took the train to the end-of-the-line, in San Diego, and then hopped on the San Diego Trolley. So far, so good. Then I got really dumb.

Instead of taking the trolley to the end of the line at the border, I decided (why? because I speak just enough Spanish to get into trouble) to follow the locals and get on the MexiCoach bus, a few miles north. WHAT A TRIP! Eventually, the entire bus was telling me how to get to Kuri's office via those red, third-world-cab-co. 70-cent taxis. I told one lady that if I got lost, I'd be staying at her house for the weekend. Another woman, near my age, decided to adopt me and take me with her. I suggested that since it's the time of year to start making tamales for Christmas, she was really trying to find free labor for the tamale venture. By the time we got off the bus, everyone was wishing me a happy career as a tamale-maker. We were all laughing. HOWEVER, she did in fact know where I wanted to go and I walked right across the street and into Kuri's office.

Dr. Kuri has always had trouble locating my port, and it happened again. We had both been hoping we could do the adjustment in the office, but no luck. I had to wait until he finished with his other patients, and we went to the flouro place and unfilled me. And there I was...about 7:00 p.m, with my lousy night vision, in a foreign country, without a toothbrush, and my car was in the parking lot of a train station I couldn't get to, and which had had tow-away signs for those who tried overnight parking. I went to the hotel, ate in the dining room, bought a toothbrush and toothpaste and went to my room.

By 5:46 this morning, I was on the US side and on the trolley headed north. I got to San Diego around 6:30, caught the 7:05 train headed north and at 8:30 discovered my car where I had left it. (Maybe the handicapped sticker helped?) By 9:15, I was home, after stopping for a Breakfast burrito and actually being able to eat a little bit of tortilla.

DONALI, WHY DID I NOT GET YOUR PHONE NUMBER BEFORE I VENTURED OUT?

I plan to give my esophagus several weeks to heal itself before addressing the REfill issue.

Sue

lol - Sue, what a great story! I will email you my number just in case your re-fill turns out to be just as exciting. :cool:

It really sounds like a wonderful adventure, except for the stress about whether your car would be towed or not. And triple kudos to you for taking care of the reflux issue! I know it will be a huge decision for me if I ever have to get an unfill, and hopefully I will remember that my HEALTH is more important than a few months of less restriction.

You go, girl!!

:rolleyes:

sue~

how are you doing unfilled? ARE YOU STILL HAVING REFLUX OR HAS IT SUBSIDED WITH (sorry bout the caps) the unfill?

michelle

Thanks for asking, Michelle!

The reflux was gone within days, and I just stopped the meds. I'm planning on a re-fill in the near future, but a minimal one.

Sue

Hey Sue!! I went yesterday and had to have some saline taken out. When I drank the barium under the fluro my Dr noticed I had some reflux.(before he took some out). I was upset since I have lost 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks. But my opening was about the size of a thread!! But, I will be getting a fill in about 3-4 weeks. Glad everything is OK with you!!

glad it cleared up!!! let us know when you go for your fill!

WOW kelly the size of a thread!!!! no wonder you couldnt eat!!! how much fill did they remove? could you feel the reflux?

last night before i went to bed i drank some Water, when i layed down i felt it in my throat so i got back up and walked around till i was sure it was down.

No I could not feel the reflux; it just felt like it would hit the band and then slowly go down. I had 2.5 and now I only have 1.25. But, I can drink now:)

Kelly,

With nine pounds gone in two weeks, I'd be a little suspicious that I had at least some dehydration going. IF that's the case with you, you might "gain" a few pounds upon rehydration. Don't panic if that happens!

I'm rolling around in the ethnic glories of the holidays right now. Lasagne on one side of the family and tamales on the other. I haven't been able to eat either in over a year, so MY current weight gain has a little more to do with food than with rehydrating.:nervous Pasta, masa (the "bread" part of the tamale), enchiladas, tortillas, potatoes and salads and oranges, even celery!

So...I'm off to the gym!

Sue

Originally posted by kellymoos

What made you decide to have some take out?

Reflux. It can be a dangerous thing. And it can make you cranky, cuz you get less and less sleep.

Originally posted by Kiwigirl

Sue,

you would be a great companion for a holiday. What a risk taker. There is no knowing where we would end up. lol

Kiwigirl,

That is EXACTLY what happens when I'm in charge of the vacation. I plan like a maniac, but have three alternates "just in case." By the time I get there, I feel familiar enough with the area to try something altogether different. My family is not amused.