Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you get unfilled after finding out you were pregnant?

Just curious as to when you had an unfill after finding out you were pregnant. I am 5 weeks pregnant and am scheduled to have an unfill on Tuesday, I'll be exactly 6 weeks. I am really nervous about having the unfill. The doctor is taking it ALL out. I had hoped he would at least leave just a little in. But, his procedure is taking it all out.

Thanks! :(

Im filled to 3 MLs my dr said there was no reason to take it out. Im 26 weeks preggo now and having problems with it though.. probably getting the rest of my band unfilled next week :_

I am 25 weeks pregnant, and I don't plan on getting it unfilled...I have lost 20 lbs since I found out I was pregnant and haven't put on a pound yet..but dr. says everything is ok and to just keep an eye on what I eat..I don't think you have to get unfilled as long as your able to get food down and eat the right types of food..

Im 33 1/2 weeks pregnant and still have my fill which is about 7cc in a 10cc band. It is getting more difficult to eat towards the end of my pregnancy but my doc says I only have to get unfilled if I cannot keep food or Water down. I have gained about 12 lbs so far and I am very pleased with this. Baby is doing fine and growing well. Hope everyone's pregnancy is going well. I am glad to be almost at the finish line.:thumbup:

I had an unfill in March because my band had slipped so I was on a break anyhow, but I found out I am PG last week and have noticed that my band feels tighter than it did...kind of like when AF is due (anyone else get tight around that time?). So, guess if you are uncomfortable now, it is good to get that unfill, but don't worry about no restriction, it is def still there! :thumbup:

My band has always been sensitive to my hormones (super tight when I have my period) so I got a small unfill at about 10 weeks. I went from 8cc in a 10cc band to 7cc. I pretty much stayed there until 20 weeks when I needed to back down to 6.5cc. At 40 weeks I could barely keep Water down so they unfilled me to 3.5 cc. Baby came at 41 weeks and I started getting filled again at 8 weeks post-partum.

I put on 40 lbs which is about 10 more than I was hoping for. If at all possible, I would recommend NOT getting your band unfilled all the way. I had been at my goal weight for over 2 years and thought I'd never put any weight back on. Trust me, it's easier than you would imagine.

Just know and listen to your body. If you don't want your band unfilled all the way, tell your doctor. This is about YOU, not him.

I'm at 15 weeks and although I was aiming to not need/get an unfill, in the last few days, I've decided it's time. I seem to have suddenly gotten tighter and it's become a grand effort to eat my food. At certain times of day, liquids don't even seem to go down so well.

I was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and the dietician wants me eating more calories and carbs - so it's kind of crazy that this extra tightness has arrived when it did.

On a funny side note, I'm pretty sure I got pregnant on the very day of my last fill. I was looking back through some food journals when I came to this conclusion. How's that for weirdness?

I'm 17 weeks, I have gained 3 lbs and do not plan to get my band unfilled. Sometimes it is tight but I make up the calories by drinking milk on those days.

I found out I was pregnant about 8 months after surgery - and after 65 lbs lost. I thought I would not get an unfill, but after progressively getting worse "morning" (aka all day) sickness when I tried to eat anything, I decided it was time to go see the lapband doc.

My OB knew I had lapband, and I had lost 25 pounds in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy; the OB was ok with that as long as I was able to get nutrients. I was still overweight, so I am sure that factored in as well (if I had been 120 lbs and lost 25 lbs, I can guarantee he would not have liked it as much!!!).

Anyway, at about 20 weeks, I felt like the band was too tight and I was somewhat miserable when trying to eat, so I went in prepared to have a full unfill; however, the lapband doc said he doesn't suggest that because then you have no food restriction, he took 2 cc's out of the 7 cc's I had in and it immediately stopped the morning sickness. I am glad that he did not totally unfill because I would be eating too much. I am comfortable right now, knowing that baby boy is getting all the nutrients he needs.

The universal thinking on lapband unfill has definitely changed over the last couple of years...I think good advice is to be open and honest with your OB, and even more important, listen to your body...If you are still vomiting/PB'ing after 4-5 months of pregnancy, it is probably not morning sickness...you may need a partial unfill...

Good luck, ladies...I have found pregnancy (especially after a partial unfill) to be exciting and wonderful...I am in my first pregnancy, at 39!!!! Wasn't sure I would ever get here, but after the initial surprise (had tried for 5 years previous to banding), I am so excited!!!!

I am getting my band unfilled next week at 15 weeks. I am having the worst problem with throwing up lately. At least once a day I am getting stuck and it hurts so bad to throw up. I would rather just get it unfilled and enjoy my pregnancy. Plus I am pregnant with twins and want to make sure I am getting all I need for them.

Wow! Congrats on the twins!!!!

You totally are doing the thing that is right for you and the babies and listening to your body!

I was in the same situation with vomiting every day and thought I would have it totally unfilled too, but the doctor said, try the 2 cc's out and if that doesn't fix it, come back, but it totally fixed it! I am totally eating so much now, too much probably, but I know the baby and I are getting all we need!

Congratulations! Twins! Wow!

Thanks!! I think we are still in shock also. It has been about a month now where I am throwing up every day. I actually had an appt last week, but it seems like I keep having to reschedule it. I am curious if they will want to completely unfill or just take a little out. I'm at 8.4cc in an 11cc band.

And the throwing up is not from nausea, it is because everything gets stuck. I tried to take half of my prenatal and it got stuck and had to throw up my milk.

I can relate - I was vomiting multiple times a day - anything and everything...and it just slowly kept getting worse..got to a point where I was eating crackers and Clear liquids...

This may sound stupid, but...While I knew it wasn't normal for pregnancy, I also didn't think it was totally the band either...It did not appear to be nausea, but I was definitely sick...so I held out going to the lapband doctor because I thought it was pregnancy-related....

The truth is - it is both...as the baby gets bigger, things become more congested and "pushed together" in your stomach, and hence the reason, my vomiting was slowly getting worse as the baby got bigger...also made worse with hormones and dehydration..........so needless to say I wanted that lapband doctor to take the entire fill out, but he said to take 2 cc's out (I previously had 7 cc's in) and try that....solved all my issues...

I cannot say what your doctor will say, but I can share my experience and let you know that the "conventional thinking" on total unfills during pregnancy seems to have shifted in the last couple of years.

I wish you good luck with whatever you and the doctor decide. I will be interested to see what he/she says...please share if you are so inclined, and again, good luck and congrats on the babies!!!

I am almost 34 weeks now and have not had an unfill, tough I've gotten tighter in the last few months. I only have a 4cc band though, and I think I'm either right at capacity or a little bit over. I am not planning on getting unfilled at all if I can help it. I've still managed to gain 32lbs so far.

I wanted to update. I finally had my unfill and am so happy I did. I had 8.4 and they took out 4cc. It made the world of difference. I was dehydrated and malnurshed because I was unable to eat or drink anything for such a long time.