Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I do?

I feel like I have pretty good restriction - lots of foods are on the no list, I need hot tea before I eat solids, etc. The problem is I'm hungry in 2 to 3 hours. I've had problems in the past with being over-filled, which were quite unpleasant and ended with me having all the Fluid out - twice, in fact. This makes me a little afraid to get another fill, even a small one, but I thought I was supposed to be satisfied between meals...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Melanie :(

You can try a healthy high Protein snack like greek yogurt or string cheese, between meals.

Yes, the Snacks mentioned by the previous poster are excellent but if you are getting hungry so soon you should discuss this with your doctor. You may need a little fill. Best wishes!!

:frown: Thank you both for your responses!

I bought some string cheese last night, so I'm going to start there. If the Protein doesn't fix it, I'll break down and go to the doctor again.

I'm excited to start making some progress (scale progress) again!

Take care!

Melanie

I would want to know what you are eating at your meals? If you are only getting a tiny amount of food, I don't think you will stay full between meals. It can be kind of a cycle with band patients (according to my doctor). We get filled until we eat such a small amount that we don't stay full in between meals.

Also, the choices that you make at your meals will make a difference in your between-meal hunger. It doesn't sound to me like you really need another fill.

If I have a simple-carb laden meal, (say, white pasta), I'll get hungry sooner than if I have chicken breast and broccoli and maybe some brown rice. That would keep me full for many hours. Protein, Fiber and fat will slow gastric emptying and help you feel full longer.

I feel like I have pretty good restriction - lots of foods are on the no list, I need hot tea before I eat solids, etc. The problem is I'm hungry in 2 to 3 hours.

my doctors told me that when people get filled to the point that "lots" of regular foods are not tolerated and they have to do things like hot tea to tolerate solids, then they are usually too full and either eat too little or eat slider foods and both problems will cause u to be hungry soon after eating. He told me the best fill level is to be tight enough to feel not hungry after 1/2 - 1 cup of solid foods and have only a few common foods on the can not tolerate list.

so maybe you are a little too tight?

If you need hot tea before solids, I'd say that a fill isn't what you need. Rather, you might need to reexamine the solids you're eating to make sure they have staying power.

Sounds like you haven't broken your emotional reliance on food. Like quiting smoking, the hardest part of quitting the addiction is the psycological/emotional aspect of it.

food is your enemy, not your lover!

Again, thank you all for your answers!

I was struggling with getting enough Protein in, mostly because I hate Protein shakes. I'm able to eat about 1-1/2 to 2 cups of food at a time. I'm tight in the morning and need warm tea or coffee before I can eat anything, but by lunch I'm ok with carefully prepared/chewed meats. Veggies are good, and I can eat salads. I had to give up eggs, bread (of course), tortillas, etc., which I think is pretty typical, considering what I've learned here.

The string cheese is making a big difference so far. I eat it in the afternoon, around 2pm.

I'm in kind of a strange position because I know the dangers of being over-filled, and I know what underfilled feels like. I've never been filled to a point that I think is "the sweet spot" - unless this is it, and it might be.

Trying to learn what I can (thank you!) and work out the bugs...

I've lost a lot of weight with the band, 75-80 pounds, and I'm working on getting the last 20 or so off, but I've had the setbacks I mentioned before stalling me up. I want to get maximum help from the band, but I definitely know I'm on my own for the rest of the work.

I appreciate all the feedback.

:( Mel

Update:

I do need a small unfill, apparently. I called the doctor, and yep, there are too many foods on the "no" list and yes, I need to eat three meals a day, not six.

So... We'll see what happens. Going in Monday. Not an emergency, just tweaking...

Take care!

Melanie

:biggrin:

Sounds like an appropriate tweak to me. I understand your hesitation, but I agree with the advice you've gotten here. Maybe a teeny unfill and more solid Protein will cure what ails you. Good luck!

Thanks NYC!

Had 1/4 cc taken out today, very small, but I can go back if I'm not able to eat some decent portions of Protein relatively easily. I'm close to the right place, and I'm very excited about that. It's taken time to get this whole after-care, fill-thing right.

I already feel better, so I'm hopeful!

Melanie :scared2:

If you need hot tea to eat any solids then I'd say you were already too tight. And obviously, you're werent able to eat enough in a sitting to sustain your needs, which is why you're hungry.

I think an unfill was the right choice, eventually you'd find you were eating sliders simply to get calories in.

Hi Jacqui!

I was definitely not getting enough food in, and although my weight loss started back up recently, I don't want to starve and feel weird to achieve it - that's for sure.

The solids I mentioned in my previous post were getting harder to handle last week, and that's why I made the appointment. No need to wait until I'm more swollen, starved and dehydrated.

I feel better, but I'm not sure yet if I need a bit more out. I'm still trying to take it easy to make sure I'm no longer swollen before I decide. I'll try some solid Proteins again tomorrow.

I am going to get this right eventually, and I never stop loving my band - I'm the one with issues, ha-ha!

I think it's great that everyone gave advice. What I thought was a hunger problem was really an overfill, and I truly did not know that before the great answers I got here.

Gratefully,

Melanie

:ohmy: