Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death.......Band slipped...Help

What a night!! At a little tuna. Threw that up. Ended in the emergency room over night. Total deflation of my band and still unable to drink. My surgeon talked to me and am now scheduled for surgery in the morning!?! I was scheduled to have plastic surgery next week, now I am scared that will be put off and scared that I won't be able to keep my band. Anybody out there with the same problem. I have never felt this much pain in my life....including 2 c-sections. The gave me IV drip morophine. Really am scared!!

I am so sorry. Breathe in and out, and concentrate on relaxing . Hopefully the morphine is helping with that. Sending prayers through the morning, hugs and anything else positive. Good luck. I hope everything works out ok.

Oh no! I am so sorry! Please let us know how things go ... looks like you have done lots of hard work and it's understandable you are anxious and scared. Keeping yourself stressed can only make it worse so hope you can calm down. Don't be afraid to let the medical people know you might need something for your nerves as well as pain? I feel so bad for you!

Hi:

I am so sorry to hear about your major slip. My thoughts are with you and I can imagine what you're going through. I have a little slip and I've been unfilled for almost 4 weeks and will probably have to replace my band. Unlike you, I don't have pain, only anguish. My first stick was with tuna - eating too fast. I couldn't eat tuna for two years.

I love my band still and cannot imagine going on without it. I'm kind of scared that when I do go in for replacement they'll put me under and go in and change their minds and just take my old band out. I've gained 13, now down to 9 pounds since my band was unfilled. Yikkes!

Best wishes that you're going to recover quickly and that you can go forward with your plastic surgery next week.

Let us know how you make out.

Take care.

Sue

I am so very sorry and do hope everything works out. I have had 16 months of fill and unfills and now it looks like the band was not put in at the right place....I don't know if my insurance will cover a reposition and I am scared to death of getting fat again. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Sue.

Mimi

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The doctor said it was a fairly bad slip, but they were able to reposition it and I am able to keep my band.....yeah. Twas a longer surgery, almost 2 hours and now a 2 night stay in the hospital. I will be released first thing Sunday morning. SOOOO happy I get to keep my band.:thumbup:

Did they anything about rescheduling your plastic surgery? It all sounds so rough. Hang tight. No matter what happens in the near future, by this time next year you'll be thin and tucked and right where you want to be!

I am so happy for you! Take some time to heal again. Best wishes on a quick recovery!

I wish you the best on recovering! I'm glad you were able to keep your band!!! Hang in there!

I'm glad your doc didn't beat around the bush. Once you slip once it will happen again and again. I slipped was unfilled and then slipped again. I had reposition surgery and was fine a few days later. I found recovery a lot easier the second time around. Hope that you are on the mend soon!

At discharge my surgeons explained to me what happened.....here is the whole story. On Wednesday night I got home from a late class. I was starving. So I decided to have a couple tablespoons of tuna. I usually never eat past 5....it was 9. Within a few minutes I threw it up and could tell instantly that it was a diffrent kind of "stuck vomiting". Then the intense pain started. The vomiting never stopped. Within a couple hours my husband took me to the emergency room because the vomit started showing up with blood. When I got the the local emergency room they did a complete unfill. They said that should do the trick sent me home after an IV with morophine. Couldn't sleep at all. By the next day I got scared cause the vomiting never stopped and the blood was getting heavier. Thursday morning felt even worse and decided to call my surgeon. He said it sounded as though something was not right with the band and that I should head back to the ER and then to him the next day. My surgeon is almost 4 hours away. So I called my family doctor and she sent me straight to the ER. Again after 3 x-rays and more morophine, everything looks great!! Maybe had a touch of a virus. Still continueing to vomit blood, they sent me home. That night the vomiting got worse and I couldn't straighten up. My husband and I headed up to my surgeons hospital. Within 10 minutes of my arrival.....after examining the x-ray. They placed my IV, gave me morophine, called my surgeon and had me preping for surgery.

At discharge, he explained to me that sometimes people who are overweight have a lot of fat around their stomach and it gets into the banded area....there isn't anyway to go around it. As you drop the weight....fat goes away from all parts of your body. Number one.....got a loose band. There is no way to know that. They showed me the x-ray, the band had slipped almost all the way down my stomach and then from all the vomiting, my stomach folded over itself. NICE!!!. They could see it in the x-ray from the other hospital!!! So the surgery took a little longer, I am way more bruised, but am still banded. He made a new canal for it to sit in and said there was NO fat around it and the chance of it slipping again is less then 0.03%. Not unheard of, but chances are that it won't do it again. So back to square one.....Liquid diet for a week, then mushies for another then up to him for a fill under x-ray in a month. So that was it in a nutshell. He did write a nasty letter to the head of the hospital here where we live. My husband is planning on delivering it in person along with how he feels....:thumbup:. When I woke up from the general, I could instantly feel the diffrence and have required no additional pain meds since.....I love, love my surgeon and my band :(

Everytime I vomit something up I think if it will slip the band. I am glad to hear the warning signs when it really happens. Thanks for the reality check. Getting to my sweet spot took alot of experimentation for me and after 4 months, I am still being surprised. Self awarness is a very big part of this banding experiance.

Have mercy what an ordeal!!! I'm not banded yet.....but already scared of what "stuck" may really feel like - I have some issues not b/c of a hernia but I bet it's nothing like a true banded "stuck!"

As thinks stand right now - I'm still willing to go forward w/& take my chances w/stuck instead of fat.

Vomiting is really overrated. Not bad at all. Getting rid of stuck food is a quick manuver. No gagging and pulling towel racks off the bathroom wall. Just quick "blahch" and its out. No smell, no tears, no red face. And, no fear. Just a feeling of needing to pop it out. All on autopilot too. So the bit about fingers down the throat went out after high school beer drinking days. The good part is that the process only happens right after eating something too big. No delayed reaction. It won't happen on lovers lane an hour after a pizzia. Its immidate. So its always in the back of ones mind that it can happen so you always make a quick check for a big tree to hide behind.