Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I learend a lesson-what NOT to eat. TMI but it can happen folks!

I was banded on May 4th and I am able to start eating this week mushy casseroles, tuna, flakey fish, refried beans.. you get the picture. Well, one thing my DR said I could eat is cheese Enchiladas. YUM! Today, my co-workers who are so supportive of me invited me to go along to Rosa's Tortilla factory.

I ordered the cheese enchiladas and Beans. I immediately portioned my food to half an enchilada and a tiny bit of Beans and began eating. I ate in small bites and everything went down fine. I was full and content and just happy to be out with everyone after eating at my desk. Well, not ten minutes after I ate, my intestines decided to rebel on me. Luckily, I made it back to work but spent an lovely 30 minutes in the restrooms.

So, a HUGE lesson learned, be careful what I eat and watch the fat content.

I think I will be sticking with liquids tonight for dinner.

OMG! I can't believe that you braved that so soon after surgery! I am determined to stick to Clear Liquids (once I get surgery) until the DOC tells me different. Why go through the trouble of being banded and then eating fatty foods like that? (I think you would have been better off if you had prepared it yourself with some *healthier* choices as substitutes...) Glad you learned a valuable lesson!

Good Luck to you in your journey!

Actually this week per my diet guidelines, I am allowed to try these things but I agree, that I am going to make it at home instead and without tortillas even though they were really soft and mushy and I ate TINY bites.

I agree with the fatty foods. BELIEVE me and it wasnt my choice of places to go.I have been very good about making sure my choices are healthy except for this instance and believe me I will not be making that mistake again.

That's crazy that your doctor okay-ed the enchilada! At least you know better now thought! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Each Dr is diff in his/her instructions in eating plan after surgery - some go to food right away - some have to do Clear liquids for 2 weeks - then full liquids - mushies - soft and then regular..

I had 10 days eat phase - came home from hospital on full liquids.

Each of us has to follow what our doc's orders

Enchillda ok choice imho as I don't think except for maybe a shrimp cocktail there aren't alot of healthy choices when eating Mexican.. W

I doubt it was the fat - I think you may have over eaten or the cheese got all gummed up - sometimes with cheese that is super stringy - I will get stuck and I'm almost 3 yrs out..

I don't eat out often - maybe once or twice a month and when I do these are my treat times

You have to remember this isn't a diet - but a lifestyle change - you gotta have some of your fav foods every now and then..

Oh just thought of a healthier choice - Maybe Tortilla Soup

but again - when I go out - it's my treat timee I go out I eat 1/2 of my taco and 1/2 enchillad and some bean..

Were the enchiladas made w/corn tortillas or flour tortillas? For me, corn tortillas go down no problem, but flour tortillas can get stuck. Vegie & cheese enchiladas are actually one of my favorite foods since being banded. I get filled up on just a little and never have problems w/them getting stuck. I usually buy the frozen CedarLane organic ones. Even if I eat both, it is still under 400 calories and I think 20g of Protein. If you add a little Fage (greek yogurt that tastes like sour cream), you can boost the Protein even more.

I don't think you should be scolded for choosing to eat this, especially since it was suggested by your doctor. The great thing about the band is it helps you eat in moderation. And, as long as you are getting in enough protein and following the rules, there doesn't have to be any food that is totally off limits.

I have been very careful with my portions. VERY careful because I do NOT want to get anything stuck AT ALL.

The tortillas are corn tortillas and I NEVER would have eaten it if it wasnt approved. So, mabye it was just a weird reaction. It was the first "real" food I have eaten in almost a month and my eating out has all but stopped.

Thanks for the advice all!

I was banded on May 7th and I had my first lunch out on Saturday with my family and my Mom after my son's tee-ball game. Man it was good. :-) We love mexican!!! I ordered off the kids menu!! LOL My husband just laughed. Hey, I now get to lose weight and pay less, $3.50!! I had one chicken enchilada with sour cream sauce & charro Beans. I ate really slow and chewed really good. I did fine. No issues and was full. I could not believe it, I know before it would have been like 2-3 enchiladas, a basket of chips, and tortillas with butter! WOW

Indio Girl,

When you eat a taco, is it soft or crispy??? Is your enchilada cheese? I only eat with cheese...wondering if I can tolerate it?

When we go out for Mexican, I usually have a chicken enchilada with sour cream sauce. I have had tacos and they were crunchy. Again just chew really well and small bites. I am still having to remind myself of this all the time. LOL When will I ever learn? It makes such a big difference, and still I find myself either taking too big of a bite of swallowing too fast, not shewing long enough. Gotta slow down.

Its weird: Mexican food is one thing that I know I can eat without problem: I can eat chips and salsa: I usually get 5 chips, put them on my plate and that is it for me: then I get a chicken burrito or chuychanga (at Chuys) and eat the chicken out of the middle: I can usually only eat about 1/4. No tortilla at all for me! tacos I can eat the meat and cheese out of them: I have even ordered a taco with just the meat and cheese: no tortilla: the small family restauraunts are always happy to help. We dont eat out much with 3 kids so I make it a treat for me too! Thats the best part about the band: I can live my life and have a life!

Am I the only one that noticed that she said her intestines acted up?

Apparently everything went down OK. It doesn't sound band related to me at all. Perhaps a stomach bug.

I eat Mexican at least twice a week and have had no issues except with soft corn tortillas. I am super tight at the moment and had a chicken enchilada and refried Beans for lunch yesterday without an issue.

I was banded on May 19th and have eaten Enchiladas. It sounds like your problem had nothing to do with sliming or PB'ing, but that you had Diarrhea. Maybe I misunderstood. It sounds like it didn't have anything at all to do with your band, but rather after eating such a limited diet, the richness of the dish didn't agree with your system.

I make enchilada casserole with corn tortillas and it is great. I put more enchilada sauce in it so the tortillas turn to mush pretty much but since it is a casserole it does not matter - it still tastes the same and I have never had an issue with eating it or after.

I agree though, sounds more like food poisoning than any issue with the band itself. If there is something bad in the food it usually presents itself pretty quickly.

I would not cut out the enchiladas but I would definitely cut out the restaurant you ate them at!

I think it was just too heavy for the first "real food" experience. Mexican is my safety food when I go out to eat at Applebbees and places like that. I can get them down and usually order an appertizer size and immediately pawn off half to whoever I am with. I am very tight now too and had no trouble the other night as we celebrated the end of the school year. Yipee.