Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder shenanigans

i was banded cast year in June and have been very successful. Down 110 pounds. On Sat I woke up at 0300 with very sharp pains. I though I had made my band slip so I went to the doctor and much to my surprise....I hasd surgery the following morning to have my gallbladder removed and there were dozens of stones. has anyone ever done this. Also did you have an after diet.

Sorry about the typing I am on my iPad sitting in the hospital with an iv in one hand and oxygen thinger in the other

My surgeon told me that was actually normal....that he sees it often. Fortunately, mine was already out :-)

Gallbladder problems are a common co-morbidity with obesity. I had mine out last fall. The diet was standard post-op- liquids moving into solids in a couple of days.

I'm getting banded in a week.

I have several friends who lost their gallbladders due to large, fairly rapid weight loss. They were not banded, but I think it's the weight loss, not the band per se.

I was getting on the site today to do a search on your very subject. I am going in for an ultrasound in the morning b/c my PCP thinks I probably need my gallbladder out. I was banded 10/14/09 and have only lost about 40 pounds which is not suddden weight loss....a very slow frustrating weight loss if you ask me! Was wondering about the side effects about having it removed. Glad surgery went well..take care.

I was banded 10/15/09 evrything was going well without any fills until 3 months later when GALLBLADDER ATTACK ! I went to the emergency room to find that my pancreace was inflammed caused by a loose stone ( I thought my band had slipped or something). After 3 dys on iv only they were able to safley remove it. Everything is back to normal now.

I was supposed to have my gallbladder out the same day I got banded (abdominal ultrasound showed a large stone). I could have told them to leave it, but the dr pretty much guaranteeded that when I lost weight, I'd be in pain...so I said "do it all at once"...apparently, it turns out that my gallbladder was so bad they postponed my band!!! I had my gallbladder out April 22 and my band done March 13...I do not recommend 2 abdominal surgeries in three weeks!!!!!

Well I am home from the hospital and I am feeling about 1000 times better than I did after my lapband procedure. So far I am not eating much at all however I am sure that it will be better each day. Only a bander would complain that they lost a gall bladder but the bad side was I gained 10 pounds in swelling.

I would be happy to answer anyone's questions!

Thanks for the good thoughts!

Mine grumbles from time to time, which wouldnt worry me apart from the fact that for the last few months, my digestion hasnt been the best - I have constant mild (and smelly) diarrhoea and am more gassy than normal. Thankfully not so bad I cant control it, lol, but if I let one out, I can clear a room. I am extremely slack for not getting this checked out, I just dont want another surgery. I really need to rule out other causes of the bowel issue but the two often go together.

I'm almost FIVE years out from lapband surgery and have maintained my weight for two and a half, so it can rear its ugly head any time I guess. I'd have an attack of pain only once every six months.

I just dont want more scars on my tummy! I'm 42, almost 43 and have enjoyed the first chance in my life to wear a bikini, but if I have a fresh set of scars that have to heal and fade, I'd say my bikini days are over, sigh. How vain is that?

A-Wenz, I had my gall bladder out about 5 years ago and I thought it was a really easy recovery, much easier than most people's lap band experiences. I had it done Friday, was a little sore for 1 1/2 days and was fine and back to work by Monday. Now I had a really easy lap band experience too but the difference was at least with the gall bladder you can eat normal food while you're recovering. I think that's key to regaining your energy and healing. The lap band post-op liquid diet zapped all my energy.

well...i just replied to this post a few days ago and since have learned that I hav multipe mobile gallstones and have to have surgery on Tuesday. Bloody heck I didn't want another surgery...oh well I guess it could be worse.

I just had my stupid gallbladder removed May 14> I had my banding in Nov. was doing well then in Jan I started having sharp pain under my rib on the right side, right next to the port so I went to dr- didnt think anything was going on, pain went away- came back every now and then but nothing I couldnt handle. Until march, PAIN and ridiculous nausea. 2 months of back and forth. Finally got the evil little thing taken out and I feel so much better. Surgery was nothing- went home the same day- 3 little lap sites, no real pain- a little sore. thats it- I was back in the gym on sunday and I have felt so much better