Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrified at Australian surgeon

All I can say is I wish I had been able to do this well before my BMI got to 40, Each and everyone of us has our own reasons for getting it. I just don't think I will ever understand why it bothers some of those with a high BMI that someone would take control before it gets that bad. I say more power to them. And just a little advise my Daddy gave me: Beleave none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

I meant this post to be more of a complaint towards doctors doing this surgery to people who havent seriously tried dieting and who look at this as a quick fix.
I would find it problematic, too, if I believed it to be the case.

However, when my BMI was 33, I already had years of experience with diet failure. I would bet the woman you've decided didn't deserve banding also has a bit of experience under her belt.

Do you have reason to conclude that the doctor you're speaking of did not thoroughly assess his patient's readiness for surgery and understanding of it as a commitment to lifelong lifestyle change rather than "easy fix?"

If your complaint is against doctors who don't prepare their patients for the reality of the surgery, then BMI is a distractor; if you read enough posts here, you'll learn that there are scores of very-high-BMI bandsters who were very ill-prepared for postoperative realities.

And I agree, that's wrong.

I have a BMI of 35.7 with co-morbidities, and I would give anything to have heard about the band years ago; I would have been self-pay if I had to. All of us know our own personal struggle, and I would have loved to have the support when my BMI was less and I had no co-morbidities. I know the life of gritting my teeth and sheer willpower- I don't wish that on anyone. I know that post-band I will continue to have to operate on willpower but not to the same extent, and there will be help once I get to restriction.

That said, I'm sure doctors in the field run the gamut just like doctors and people everywhere. And I think it's useful to not judge and make assumptions- they usually don't pan out.

I really wonder why people concern themselves with matters that have absolutely nothing to do with them?What other things do you take on as your own personal headache, I wonder?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches