Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprised & Confused

I am a little (to say the least) surprised and confused by some lab results I recieved in yesterdays mail.

I had my annual physical in mid October. I went in last week to have my blood drawn for some routine testing-blood sugar, electrolytes, cholesterol & the like. These lab tests were set up for me at the time of my initial appoinment--I forgot until I got a phone call that said I hadn't taken care of my labs.

Got the results back yesterday and was floored. My blood sugar is fine, however my cholesterol has gone through the roof. Combined number is 221!!!

I had my physical last year and if I remember correctly, I was at about 180.

The Doctor made a note that I need to set up an appoinment to get started on cholesterol lowering medication.

My blood pressure has been normal (off meds for that) I am down 40+ pounds from the same time last year, I get to the gym 3 times a week.

My diet hasn't changed except for portions, If anything I feel like I've been eating healthier in at least the last 6-8 months.

I don't get it. Do you think I should request another blood test? I really don't want to start on any medication without being 100% sure about the necesseity of it.

Damm if it isn't always something

Yes, I would request another test, and make absolutely sure that I followed the fasting regiment to the letter. I, like you, would resist medication if at all possible...my experience has been that the more meds I take, the worse I feel. Or, maybe it's that Trudeau book, I don't know. 221 isn't all that horrible anyway.

Another thought might be if you are following a low-carb/high Protein diet, you might be adding more cholesterol to your diet than you think?

Ask for another test...that's my 2 cents' worth! Good luck! Cindy

I'd stave off the meds for awhile. Tell your doctor that you'll try to eat different and take another blood test later. 221 isn't outrageous and is worth revamping your already decent food choices. Perhaps it was the blood workup?

Just a thought.

I had to laugh, it sounded as if I should have made this thread. I recently discovered the same thing, that my cholesterol was up. I figured I'd be way down due to the weight loss, but apparently not. I got aggrivated during my last visit, after waiting over an hour and left, without seeing the doctor. Now I've got to suck it up and make another appointment.

Oh yikes. Start logging your food into fitday to see what you are doing but be very honest with what your eating. It does sound odd that your weight went down and the cholesterol went up. Watch your dairy, high fat meats and Snacks to see if they are whats causing it.

Good luck !!

Soluble Fiber is important in keeping the cholesterol down. Oats are the highest in soluble Fiber, so maybe adding oatmeal to your diet (the regular kind, not the instant stuff) would help. Other sources are Beans, peas, apples, etc. Maybe even some fiber supplements of some kind. My nurse practitioner really hesitates to put people on cholesterol meds, so if you can hold off and make some dietary changes, you might be able to lower it enough to not take them at all.

Emily

I suspect it's food related, too. High protien diets usually tend to be high fat/cholesterol as well. Just goes with the program I guess. Fitday is a great idea...log in a normal day's food intake and see what you come up with in the fat area. Make your poteins leaner, your dairies lowfat or nonfat. Add the whole grains if you can or at least get some liquid Fiber down the hatch? clean things out.

It sounds like I'm talking to you but I'm talking to me...did I say all that out loud? oops. :D It's time for me to follow up with my PCP on all that. you have me curious about my outcome! Thanks!

I also just received my blood work back today from my annual physical and received some scary news, Im now postive for the Epstein Barr Virus. I have never been diagnosed with this prior to my band (12/04), and Im not even sure if its related in any way. Does anybody know anything about this disease. I have to go for more blood work ASAP. They didnt give me any information at my doctors office, just to go for more tests. YIKES!

Staci

Orlando, FL

banded in TJ 12/16/04

I also just received my blood work back today from my annual physical and received some scary news, Im now postive for the Epstein Barr Virus. I have never been diagnosed with this prior to my band (12/04), and Im not even sure if its related in any way. Does anybody know anything about this disease. I have to go for more blood work ASAP. They didnt give me any information at my doctors office, just to go for more tests. YIKES!

Staci

Orlando, FL

banded in TJ 12/16/04

Staci, start a new thread titled "Epstein Barr Virus" and you are sure to get more replies than posting it here. I don't know anything about it, sorry. I doubt it's related to your banding, but I'm not sure either. Start that thread, we have master internet reseearchers on this board and you will know more than the doc by the time it's over and done with! :D (((HUGS)))

Did it tell you your good and bad cholestrol too. Sometimes if you exercise alot, your good cholestrol will go up....and cause the overall number to be high...but in reality you are fine since your bad cholesterol is still normal. Does that make sense? LOL

Melissa

I stopped by to see my nutritionist yesterday. I knew she had a copy of last years labs in my file. We looked at them together. She asked that I log my food for the next couple of weeks, but she also said the results did look a little strange. For example, my tricglycerides are down to 104 from 131 last year.

I have always been a fan of oatmeal (the long-cooking or steel cut variety, no instant) and whole grain breads and crackers. I do drink and used low/non fat dairy (except for a splash of half/half in the morning joe). Don't eat a lot of red meat, in fact, last time I had red meat I think was around the first part of October.

Long story short, I requested that they re-adminster the blood test. From the look on the receptionists face when I explained I wanted to re-do some labs, you would have thought I had asked her to perform ingrown toenail surgery on me right there on her counter..Look honey mistakes sometimes get made!!

My luck, the test results will probably be the same, but I really don't want to start taking any medication if it's not completely necessary.