Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal? 6 days out..

Hi everyone.. as a newbie (6 days post op) yay! I have a question.. Are these things normal? and what might be causing them?

1. I have some discomfort/pain when I take a really deep breath.

2. I am adding some things to my Protein shakes (1/2 banana, spoon of peanut butter).. they go down ok, is that ok?

3. Some times I get this hiccup/burp feeling.. it takes a few minutes, but can burp and it goes away.

4. What does "the band" or "restriction" feel like?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I rely on this board so much to help!

Jen

banded 4/20/2010- 10 lbs gone forever! :eek:

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread cuz I'm curious about these things too! I was puzzled by that weird stuck/ need to burp feeling.I'm 5 days out and am getting used to the portions slowly but surely. I think that has been one of the weirdest things to understand. "how is this little bit of food going to make me feel full? "

Hi everyone.. as a newbie (6 days post op) yay! I have a question.. Are these things normal? and what might be causing them?

1. I have some discomfort/pain when I take a really deep breath.

2. I am adding some things to my Protein shakes (1/2 banana, spoon of peanut butter).. they go down ok, is that ok?

3. Some times I get this hiccup/burp feeling.. it takes a few minutes, but can burp and it goes away.

4. What does "the band" or "restriction" feel like?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I rely on this board so much to help!

Jen

banded 4/20/2010- 10 lbs gone forever! :wink:

#1 - yes, that's normal. All your insides are swollen at the moment, which is why doctor's recommend the liquid diet initially following surgery. Once you're healed up, the pain will subside!

#2 - What would your doctor say? LOL! I know it's tough, but the liquid diet really is meant to heal you. Same thing for after a fill - my doc makes me do 24 hours of liquid to let any inflammation dissipate. Stop adding stuff in, and just be patient. It'll all be worth it! Best advice? Those who are most successful on this journey follow instructions...

#3 - I'm about three and a half months out of surgery, and I hiccup/burp if I've had too much to eat. It's a normal thing! Following surgery, the hiccup/burp allows your body to release the gas trapped inside of you from surgery. Either way, get used to the hiccup/burp...it's going to be a normal part of your life!

#4 - Best way I can describe restriction? I posted this on my blog: Tales from the Band...: The scale moves - Stuck vs. Full - Losing my Pants. Feel free to read it, it's humorous!

Best of luck to you on your journey!! :eek:

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread cuz I'm curious about these things too! I was puzzled by that weird stuck/ need to burp feeling.I'm 5 days out and am getting used to the portions slowly but surely. I think that has been one of the weirdest things to understand. "how is this little bit of food going to make me feel full? "

Addressing the last question you asked - you'd be surprised! I WILL tell you that it takes TIME and FILLS to get to restriction. I got quite frustrated a few weeks after surgery when the swelling was gone (which is what keeps you feeling full immediately post-op for a couple of weeks) and I had no restriction yet. I started with 2cc in a 14cc band at surgery time, and I'm now up to 8cc in a 14cc band - FINALLY have some restriction. But, let me tell ya - February was absolute hell on the scale, on my hunger, on my head...ugh. Stick it out, and you'll giggle when the 3 eggs with a 1/4c. of cheddar jack you just made for Breakfast fills you up to the point that you have to throw some of it away...this from a girl who used to handle a couple of Sausage Muffins w/Egg, hash browns, and could STILL eat more! It's AWESOME! :eek:

Good questions!

1. I have some discomfort/pain when I take a really deep breath. This is very likely very normal. Your insides have been disrupted! The pain may be due to gas that was added to your abdominal cavity to make maneuvering easier. If so, it will resolve over the next week or so. It may also be due to the incision and/or organ manipulation.

2. I am adding some things to my Protein shakes (1/2 banana, spoon of peanut butter).. they go down ok, is that ok? It depends on your doctor's requirements. For my doctor, this would be a DEFINITE no-no. But your doctor's regimen may be completely different. If in doubt, call the office. I was on purees on Day 3---but bananas? Verboten until the third month postop.

If you don't like your Protein supplements, Bariatric Eating has a line of protein powders called Inspire. They are great. You can order them online at bariatriceating.com.

3. Some times I get this hiccup/burp feeling.. it takes a few minutes, but can burp and it goes away. Totally normal :eek:

4. What does "the band" or "restriction" feel like? It doesn't feel like anything until you eat. Then, if you remember to take small bites and chew very well, it just feels as though you're satisfied sooner. (I hesitate to say "full," because you won't feel "full" the same way as preoperatively.)

In general, I'm not at all aware of my band. I feel my port from time to time, when I bend certain ways or lean on things. But the band doesn't "feel."

I had my surgery on Tuesday, April 20th. I have experienced all of the things that you are talking about!

I had my appendix out previously and the pain in your chest when taking deep breaths is definitely gas pains. They were the same pains when I had my appendix removed. Try to walk every day for a little that helps.

As for the bananas. I am discovering through this process that everyone is VERY DIFFERENT! Doing just broth wasn't getting it for me. Yesterday I had a hypoglycemic episode (I am not diabetic) and almost fainted. I was so incredibly weak and it was because I had nothing in my system. broth is not Protein and does not provide you with the nutrients your body needs. I had no strength and ended up throwing up stomach acid because I had nothing on my stomach! Listen to your body....as long as you chew well and try to eat something that is smooth going down, you should be fine. Given, you will not be able to eat much because your stomach is swollen from the procedure.

Today my husband fixed me a small @ 2-3 oz smoothie of banana, Peanut Butter and skim milk....was smooth and I had no problems.

As for the burping.....UGH! Drives me insane. So I completely understand what you are talking about!

Good luck and I wish you the best.....my new philosophy...LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

Thanks to everyone for your responses.. I talked with my dietician/surgeon, and they ok'd anything I can blend to the consistancy of milk. YAY! I just had the most amazing bowl of blended Tomato Soup :smile: thanks again, and good luck to all~:thumbup:

Jen

banded 4/20/2010- 14 lbs gone forever!!

For questions 1 and 4 I can't answer you. I didn't have any odd pains. I had my gall bladder removed 5 years ago and this was actually less painful than that was. I had weird pains in my shoulder (found out it was from the gas) with that surgery, but got VERY lucky and had NO pain from this one!

2. I am adding some things to my Protein shakes (1/2 banana, spoon of peanut butter).. they go down ok, is that ok? My doctor said as long as it can be blended it was no problem. I'm sure it's different for all docs. I was blending Bean with Bacon Soup to make liquid!

3. Some times I get this hiccup/burp feeling.. it takes a few minutes, but can burp and it goes away. I got this too. I slowly put pressure on my stomach and it helps the burp come out! I'm turning into the burp queen!

:scared2:

Banded 03/31/2010