Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was out doing Saturday errands and went to pizza place with 8 yr old niece for lunch. I decided on a panini since the bread is very thin and toasted and I could see the chicken meat was shredded. When the sandwich came I even scraped off some of the cheese. I took 2 bites and chewed and chewed and really enjoyed them. They went down with no problem. I took the third and felt that "stop" feeling. I did. 2 seconds later I coughed and slimed horribly. Thank God I had the napkin in my hand. There was no warning. It has been 2 months since I had a fill and am doing Ok on soft solids and have had wraps and quesadillas with no problems. I was so angry and embarrassed. The little one grabbed me more napkins and I left her in the booth while I went to restroom to continue bringing up the rest. I ma very, very sore and have awful headache ever since, but am afraid to try tylenol. I am so frustrated with the band right now and with myself for being so out of control for needing it in the first place.

I thought I found a decent choice for being out. I felt like a "normal" person for those first 2 bites and then the "incident" was like a slap reminding me that I will never be and never was normal around food. So annoyed.....

Tracy -

Sorry you had a bad experience but it sounds like you handled it well. I really can't handle breads, unless it is a small piece of a crust or something like that but I've been where you are and it is no fun.

When I've had an unusually bad stuck episode my doc recommends liquid Benadryl to help with the swelling (and hot liquids make me feel better too). I'm sure you know this already, but go to liquids for a few days until you feel better and gradually go back to soft foods, then solids. I myself would skip the Tylenol too.

Feel better.

liquid Benadryl...interesting. would not have thought of that for that type of swelling. I guess I missed that day in Med school. LOL

I have been having tea and broth and will try mushy/soft late tomorrow.

Oh boy I hear your pain. I got stuck today but thank goodness I was at home. I had 2 bites of a turkey sausage on a bun (trying to create the hot dog experience) and at least one bite got thrown back up. Yuck. I hate eating out now because I am scared of getting stuck in public. Good for you it sounds like you handled your self very well. I also got stuck on meatloaf on a long drive once, thank god I had a big zip lock bag with me I slimed all the way up the freeway :biggrin:

That happened to me also! I was very hungry and ate too fast and didn't chew well enough. It was AWFUL! Now I don't allow myself to get that hungry! I also carry "barf bags" in my car and purse! Eek!

WOWZERS--- This is my biggest fear since being banded-- puking, pb'ing or sliming in public I have told my hubs and daughter to go without me so I don't have to deal with it, which is kinda sad, but to look at the bright side its saving us money buying one less meal!! :biggrin:

I was out doing Saturday errands and went to pizza place with 8 yr old niece for lunch. I decided on a panini since the bread is very thin and toasted and I could see the chicken meat was shredded. When the sandwich came I even scraped off some of the cheese. I took 2 bites and chewed and chewed and really enjoyed them. They went down with no problem. I took the third and felt that "stop" feeling. I did. 2 seconds later I coughed and slimed horribly. Thank God I had the napkin in my hand. There was no warning. It has been 2 months since I had a fill and am doing Ok on soft solids and have had wraps and quesadillas with no problems. I was so angry and embarrassed. The little one grabbed me more napkins and I left her in the booth while I went to restroom to continue bringing up the rest. I ma very, very sore and have awful headache ever since, but am afraid to try tylenol. I am so frustrated with the band right now and with myself for being so out of control for needing it in the first place.

I thought I found a decent choice for being out. I felt like a "normal" person for those first 2 bites and then the "incident" was like a slap reminding me that I will never be and never was normal around food. So annoyed.....

You can take children's liquid Motrin for the swelling.. As far as never being normal again, I eat pizza about once a week (whole wheat, thin crust). It depends on how tight you need your band to be successful. You may need it tight to succeed for now, but later you can leave it a little looser so you can eat some of the foods you enjoy. I eat whatever I want, but I eat a LOT less of it now. Take the motrin, then stay on liquids tomorrow and that will probably help.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww! Public slime!!! :biggrin: LOl, been there, done that! I usually go for the Soup or chili in those situations.

I have never done it right in front of people, but have had a couple uncomfortable "very close" episodes. BTW, I have heard the best remedy is pineapple juice. Never tried it because it has never been handy when I'm stuck, but a couple people im my support group carry a little 6 oz can with them wherever they go...Dan.

Papaya enzyme chewables also help a lot. I carry a bottle in my purse at all times!:biggrin: