Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi group. Well I'm 5 weeks out. Lost about 15 lb with pre-op diet and 17 lbs. post op. People can look and tell a difference. I've done well on all except exercise. I don't mind working outside, weed-eating, gardening, washing windows, but i hate exercise. i know i need to get into a regular plan but have not got motivated. Any suggestions? I've done well on diet, journal, food choice, ect. Thanks :thumbup: Kaye

You are doing so well! I also had a hard time getting started with excersise- took me 2-3 months postband. Now I love it! I do cardio about 5 times a week and weights with a trainer 3 times a week. I have lost 67 pounds since Nov. 16. I know I couldn't have done it without working out.

The benefits of excersise are just to good and numerous to pass up. You will: increase your metabolism (burn more calories at rest) and energy level, reduce blood pressure, blood sugar et..reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. It's also good for your skin (you'll look younger) and of course will surely increase your rate of weight loss.

I encourage you to try different things and you should find something you at least somewhat enjoy. Continue working outside- that's bonus.

Hope this was motivating- keep up the great work and good luck!

You are doing so well! I also had a hard time getting started with excersise- took me 2-3 months postband. Now I love it! I do cardio about 5 times a week and weights with a trainer 3 times a week. I have lost 67 pounds since Nov. 16. I know I couldn't have done it without working out.

The benefits of excersise are just to good and numerous to pass up. You will: increase your metabolism (burn more calories at rest) and energy level, reduce blood pressure, blood sugar et..reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. It's also good for your skin (you'll look younger) and of course will surely increase your rate of weight loss.

I encourage you to try different things and you should find something you at least somewhat enjoy. Continue working outside- that's bonus.

Hope this was motivating- keep up the great work and good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I have to get my priorities straight. You have done wonderful. WOW, 67 lb in 5 months. That's great. keep it up and thanks for replying.:ohmy:

I dread the thought of exercie, but once I do it then I feel great for the rest of the day and even sleep better at night. What I have to do is plan it into my week and block out a time. Then I just go and do it no matter how much I don't want to. My gym has a carido theater so it makes it a little less boring when I can watch a movie at the same time I am working out :) I hope that one day I will simply love it and feel bad if I miss a day, but until then I think of it like an OBGYN appointment...........no one wants to go but you just gotta :ohmy:

I am also a little over 6 weeks out and hate to exercise. Honestly - it is just hard to do when you weigh over 300 pounds. I went and bought a good pair of sneakers and a ipod nano. I don't like listening to music, but my 13yo daughter introduced me to pod casts. Now I can listen to all different types of things including a weekly lapband podcast! I walk for 45 minutes 5-6 nights a week after everyone is fed and I have a little time to myself. I even bought a book to listen to. I can now walk the hills without being out of breath. My feet still kill me because of my weight, but when I walk the numbers on the scale go down. GOOD LUCK!!!!

I also walk. I have learned to love it. I started with a couple blocks. I found I could make the time for that. Then when it seemed way to easy, I increased my distance. I found I could get two miles in 30 minutes and that wasn't such a huge chunk out of my day. I do it in the morning before work because I knew if I waited, I would talk myself out of it. I went in all weather, because I knew I would find a lot of other reasons to not do it if I started using weather for an excuse. I live in the mountains, so much of the winter I needed chains on my boots to keep me from slipping. Now, I like it so much, I do another hour after work in the evening. 5 1/2 miles a day. Wow I never thought I would do that in my life. Now that I have lost weight, I have so much more energy. I raked for a half day on Sunday, and cleaned up my own mess and still went for my walk. I did 7 miles that day. The thing that keeps me doing it now is the scale going down and my jeans getting looser. I have not had any plateaus at all yet. My advice, is don't set any huge goals right now. Just get moving even if it is only 10 minutes to start. It will get better. Hugs~~~

I used to dread working out, especially in public. I didn't start working out regularly until 7 months after my surgery. I am nearly 10 months out. I WISH I would've started sooner, but I didn't. I will not meet the original goal I set for myself; I wonder if I would've started exercise sooner if my goal would be attainable.

Now I regularly participate in Zumba (which is so energizing) and Pilates (which makes me feel so strong). I also just (last week) staring a running program. And starting this week I joined a hiking club (a hike every 1-2 weeks).

Good luck finding exercises which you enjoy.

Angie :smile: