Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Pills after surgery

I have some diet pills I have not had a chance to take before I had my surgery; and I was wondering would it be ok to take a half of one to curve my appetite a little more to help with the weight loss process?

Hey Bigman, I don't know where you are in your journey, but I would say no. If you've just had your band, you need to worry about healing, not losing weight. If you have been banded 6-8 weeks, this is about the time you need a first fill. If you've gotten your first fill, and are still hungry, then you need an additional fill.

If your fill level is good, then you won't be hungry. You won't need diet pills any more.

Oh, just so you know, you will still be hungry because you are human. But you shouldn't be hungry for about 3-4 hours after you eat.

Cheers!

I have some diet pills I have not had a chance to take before I had my surgery; and I was wondering would it be ok to take a half of one to curve my appetite a little more to help with the weight loss process?

I feel great still a little sore around the port area with some bruising, but it will be a least another month before I get my first fill I had my surgery on the Nov. 7th and I have a long ways to go for that first fill and wanted to try the diet pills out on a trail bases to see if it would aid me til I get that first fill.

Right, and believe me, I sure understand wanting to jump on the weight loss wagon! Many people, not all, but many people find that they lose a fair bit of weight on the liquids and soft foods after surgery.

You will not be getting much calories right now as it is, and You need all that you do get for healing.

Of course, you should be talking this over with your surgeon as well. I just think they are not needed.

Be kind to yourself

Since Im one that HAS taken diet pills a couple of short times during my banded life, Id say try cutting/breaking the pill in half and "trying" it.

Thats what I did - and it definately helped! Even gave me restriction when I didnt have any.

Of coarse, if its NOT your band doctor that prescribed these diet pills, PLEASE call and ask his permission before taking them. :)

BIGMAN and rpaniagua77, I was banded on Nov. 7th too. I'm able to get out of the house and do a little walking, but I am so sore around, not just my port area, but my ribcage area as well? (not sure if its my ribcage). I have difficulty breathing in deep because of the pain, and as soon as I try to have a sip of Water or Protein Shake, boy do I feel that pain on my left side, about right under my breast. I was just wondering if either of you are experiencing this as well. I'm a bit freightened that maybe it is not normal. I also find that I am starving, but unable to eat (drink much). After a couple of sips, I feel as if I will burst! Have either of you experienced this? Nevertheless, CONGRATULATIONS to both of you! :)

I am not as sore any more only a little around the port. I still have a lot of gas though and it hurts really bad. Gas-x is not working too good for me. I also feel full really quickly and I am not hungry or maybe I just know I can't have anything I really want so I am fine. I think the difficulty in breathing deep must be normal because I feel it too. Like you want to take a deep breath but you can't then other times I am feel really good and wonder if I have slipped my band since my body feels normal for a couple of hours. Since I don't know what a slippage feels like or what it would take for the band to slip I am really paranoid. I feel like if I stretch, or if I bend the wrong way or if I cough too much it will move. I guess like I said I'm just paranoid but doing well I went and bought a scale today since I did not have one and GUESS WHAT!!! I have lost 12 lbs. I think that it is awesome considering this time is supposed to be healing time and any weight loss is considered a bonus. I am excited. Although I do feel deprived and the hunger pains suck. My stomach growls all the time and I have to admit the liquids suck. All in all I think what you are feeling is normal since I feel the same way it's just part of the healing process I guess. Well good luck and I hope you feel better.

Guest Miss Losin Lot'

This very subject came up at my last support group meeting. I was speaking about myself with regard to night time hunger and how it seems that even with adequate restriction, in the evenings I tend to become hungry and I often times get a very powerful urge to eat. It isn't head hunger, but true hunger. It only occurs at night though. One of the surgeons (not mine) was attending the group and he said that from time to time he refers his patients to a coleague of his who prescribes a mild diet pill for this very reason. When I told him I didn't want to become dependant on a diet pill he said that he understood and that they we're used only for a very short period of time with the patients who are working to make better choices, yet still haven't quite mastered their new eating habits. As in just long enough to get over a certain hurdle. I haven't called regarding the pills....because I found that a snack size bag of popcorn (100 calories) when this happens and a can of Tomato juice (35 cal.) does the trick for me. They take away the hunger and the need I feel to snack all at the same time. I just make sure they are in my caloric intake allowance for the day.

I will say that IF this becomes a problem that I can't do on my own....I have no problem using the pills to suppress me until I get a better hold on the situation, but that's just me. I'm 30 pounds from goal and if I need a little extra boost to get there, so be it. As long as I'm working the band and the program and have made the necessary changes in my life...I see nothing wrong with getting a little extra help for the harder hurdles. Finding perfect restriction that will do all this isn't easy....then you find it and lose another 15 pounds and the band loosens and you have to have fills until you find it again. It's a process for sure, and I'm one who believes in using the band in conjunction with diet changes while not getting myself too tight to a point where I can't eat meat or other foods. I've never pb'd or slimmed. But it's sometimes difficult to find that perfect medium. Another words being able to eat normal foods with no pb's or slimes yet still having good restriction. Not easy...

I see no reason why one shouldn't add a supplemental prescription in to help in the process for a short term if necessary. I'de rather do that than tango with being too tight and having to deal with the complications of what that can bring.

So I personally suggest talking to your surgeon, explain that you'de like the precription ONLY until your fills begin to give you restriction and then come off of them and be on your way. As long as they are used with caution and as prescribed and with the understanding that they are not being used to take the weight off for you, but to help you with appetite suppression UNTIL your band kicks in and you develope stronger new habits....

Good luck

Kay

AKA: Miss Losin Lot's

rpaniagua77, Thanx so much for responding to my questions. It is encouraging to know that I am not just imagining the things that I am going through and that what I am experiencing is common with some patients. I started to think that maybe something had gone wrong during my surgery. I too am a bit paranoid as far as the band slipping goes; I am constantly watching how I move and which position I sleep in, because I am so concerned that my band might slip. I guess that it's normal. I also am constantly hungry, regardless of the Protein Drinks, my stomach is always growling, and the hunger pangs are simply AWFUL! I can't wait until I am able to eat real food in a normal manner. I am also concerned about the small amount of Water that I have been taking in on a daily basis. I look forward to being able to increase this amount soon. Well, take care, and I hope all goes well with your weight loss journey! :D