Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going nowhere over two months

Well it is good to know I am not alone in this crazy ride. I was at the doctor's office talking to a guy who just had gastric and he was saying he lost 25 pounds in like 1 week. It took him about an hour to eat a little yogurt. Argh! I still wouldn't trade my band for GB.

Good luck everyone!

Awkward Customer, now that you have 8.5 ccs in your band, your doc will want to take it slow as you approach the green zone. They don't want to fill you too much as that could cause you all kinds of problems, which could lead to them taking out all of your liquid.

Also, please keep in mind that once you start losing the weight (and I am confident that you will), not only will you lose the fat on your body, but you'll also lose the fat that is around your stomach, which is what your band rests on. So as that fat gets smaller, your band will loosen, requiring you to go in for another adjustment.

Don't get too discouraged. This is one of the things about that lap-band, it's an adjustment filled journey (not just adjusting the band itself but also adjusting our heads and habits to succeed in this new lifestyle). We'll make it!

By the way, I too am self-pay. While I want results (and now would be nice) I also don't want to do anything that could mess up my band. So if it takes slow and steady, then that's what I'll do. Hugs to you!

I am SOO happy I ran into this thread! I am feeling the exact same way! I was banded feb. 9th and just went in last week to get another 1cc fill because I was feeling NO restriction and feeling like I can eat too much. I have really stuck to the high Protein low cals. but not much is happening lately, even after my extra 1 cc. I myself was thinking the same thing, "was this just a waste of money" but Im SO happy to see all of the post that will say it will get better with more fills. Thank you for posting your concerns...it really made me feel tons better about the journey!!! Good luck to all of you!!

Awkward, Thanks for the post. I haven't been on the forum abouth 2-3 weeks. I too have been discouraged about the process. I have moved back to my old patterns of eating. I ate 3 slices of pizza on Sunday. I really felt doomed, as my sugars started to increase in the danger zone again. I was banded on the Feb 8th. On March 22 I had my first fill. I started out around 296 lbs, although my highest last year was 301 lbs. A couple weeks after surgery I was down to 271 lbs. Then Monday I was 279 lbs. I went in for my 2nd fill yesterday. I told the nurse that I was disappointed that I'm two months out and starting to gain weight. I feel like I've wasted money and time. I really demonstrated how angry I was to be gaining weight. Why are we Mickey Mousing around with 4cc in a 10cc band? She filled me with another 4.5. I can definitely feel the restriction now. I don't have the hunger pains I was having a couple day ago before my last fill. I lost 4 pound since Monday morning. I might even be too tight because I threw up three times today. My wife thinks I am eating too fast, and not chewing enough. I agree. I can see there are a lot of us in the same boat, and it looks like many people have success after the right restriction. I am hoping this could be me. I'll keep you posted. I'm glad there is a forum to share our journey. I was tired of hearing about all the success, so that's why I didn't even want to come on the forum. I feel a lot better to see we can share experience, so we don't feel alone. Best Wishes!!!

Because you posted to this board, I assume you want opinions and/or advice. So here are mine.

The WW diet plan is not the correct diet for a lap-band patient.

I know this having been a WW member several times throughout my life (lost weight, gained it back).

I'm curious, what is it about WW that you are thinking will work for you? Writing everything down? Counting points? Weekly support meetings, Weekly weigh ins? food guidelines?

It takes will power to be on WW, so I don't think your issue is sheer will power.

If you can identify your needs, I, and I suspect a few others on this forum, can offer more suggestions.

I would suggest that you save the weekly WW fees for fills.

Edited by Drasan

i can TOTALLY RELATE!!! I had my surgery Feb 16th and have lost maybe 6 pounds since surgery....i had my first fill 3 weeks ago and i can't even tell...i try to eat right but its hard...if i could do it on my own i wouldn't have needed WLS...i just hope everyone is right and that the weight will start to come off soon..i go for my second fill April 29th...

Hi Everyone..

Sometimes I feel more restricted than other times?? Does this happen to anyone else...? I think finding that perfect fill is the key...not sure Im there yet..but getting better. At four months since surgery, I have lost 24 lbs..pretty slow compared to some..but seems steady..at least.

POPPYRED

Please don't get discouraged or rush yourself. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change and for most of us a life's journey. Take this time leading up to when you have restriction and discover your new body. Learn how the band works for you and most importantly, learn what you can do to avoid as much of "bandster hell" as possible. I don't have real restriction yet either but I'm determined not to let that stop me. Since this band is only a weight loss tool, I've had to learn to hold up my end of the bargain as well. I'm retraining my brain to not equate fullness with being stuffed. I track everything I eat, keep my Protein high and my calories in a healthy range. I walk or work out as much as I can. I'm in contact with my nutritionist when I need guidance. Bottom line, I'm accountable for how I use this time period. So I say, in conjunction with the band, go ahead and join weight watchers, count calories, find support groups, up the cardio, etc. Do whatever you personally have to do, to make the best and healthiest possible choices for yourself. In the end you will be a healthier person all around.

Best to all on this journey!!

Lauren