Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slippage/Distended Esophagus

Although I was banded in May of 2008, this is my first post on here. I now wish I would have visited this site more often, as it may have prevented some of the problems I have had. In November 2008 - just 7 months after my surgery, I tried to take some Ibuprophen caplets first thing in the morning (looking back, not the smartest thing to do, but my back was killing me that day and I was desperate for relief). The pills got stuck and I vomited about 4-5 times in a 2 day period. My band slipped. My surgeon informed me that this typically does not happen with an occassional illness, but usually after prolonged, violent, vomiting episodes. WRONG!!! It can happen very easily - I'm the proof. I am an RN who researched the Lap-Band® surgery and my surgeon for almost a year before making the informed decision to have the surgery. I followed the rules and did everything I was told to do. I ended up having a revision within 2 days. My band has not worked the same since. Beginning with the very first fill I had acid reflux, which I had never had before. I had lost nearly 90 pounds with my first surgery, but I have not lost any weight in over a year now. In fact, I recently started being able to eat more and was gaining back some of the weight I had lost. I went in for a fill last week and was told that I may be too tight. I thought they were nuts! I was able to eat things I shouldn't even be able to eat and was eating almost normal portions! I was informed that sometimes the band can be too tight, and it causes the esophagus to stretch - therefore, allowing you to eat more and with no discomfort or vomiting. I thought they were full of it. I knew what too tight felt like. I have had to be unfilled several times and was not able to hardly swallow Water. My Dr. ordered an upper GI and to my surprise, they were 100% correct! I was too tight and even after 1 hour later, the barium had not passed through my band. My esophagus was enlarged about 3 times more than normal. I had no idea this could happen. They also found that I have a large hiatal hernia. The radiologist sent me straight to my Dr.'s office for a total unfill and I must wait a month for my esophagus to return to normal size and possibly have a hernia repair before getting another fill. I am soooo discouraged and disappointed. I feel like a total failure. I have tried and failed every diet/weight loss program there is and now I can't even make a LAP-BAND® work for me! This was my last hope of ever getting the weight off. I forgot to mention that I paid privately for my surgery - TWICE!!! I still have about 3 years to pay off! Any advice/wisdom/encouragement would be appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches