Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jayaseelan?

Guest Jenn421

dr. jay's office? well then i would call the richardson surgical center and asked them there which doctor takes it; they have about 8 doctors including dr. jay (does some of his lap bands there) but i know when i was at dr. jay's seminar on a saturday at medical city, many people asked about medicaid and medicare and he said yes they have had no problem

No - I meant . . . You asked twice "are you there" and "I'm not doing this right" . . . so I said "what are you trying to do".

Kitty, this is not a chat forum. You must post what you want to say and then it sits there until we see it. Which might be a few minutes or a few days.

Guest Stephaustin

My mom and I are going to attend Dr. Jay's seminar on Feb 11th at 1pm for the first time. Dr Jay took out my gall bladder a year ago and was awesome! I am really interested in getting the lapband but would like some feedback from some of you please. These are the questions I have.

1. I have United Health Care, will they cover it?
  2. If not, how much do I pay upfront and then is there a monthly payment plan?
  3. How many days were you off of work?
  4. Would you prefer to have the procedure at the surgery center in richardson or at medical city?
  5. How high does your BMI have to be?
  6. Is it hard for Dr Jay to approve you for a candidate for the procedure?
  7. How long before you know if Dr Jay will do the surgery for you?

Thank you, I know this is alot of questions but I really really want to have this done. Look forward to your responses. Thank you.

Steph,

1. It depends on your individual policy with United Health. Apply for approval and go from there.

2. I believe Dr. J charges $15,000 for the whole shootin' match.

3. My wife (who had the surgery) had it done on Wednesday and was back at work the following Monday. She is a receptionist at a Dental Office.

4. That also depends on your insurance. Or if self pay, might be a toss up. Joy had hers at Pine Creek Medical Center off of Harry Hines. It was a great experience.

5. I've heard that it usually has to be over 40. Or you must have some co-morbidities...I.E. high blood pressure, diabetes, edema, et al

6. Hard? Well...Joy is 5'3" and 301 lbs with a BMI over 50. Then you must pass the stress test. Not really hard at all.

7. He told Joy he would do it right after she had the stress test.

Guest Stephaustin

If insurance does not cover it will I have to pay the $15K up front? Or are their payment plan options? I plan on calling the office tomorrow to set up my initial consultation.

I have United Health & they approved me in just less than 2 weeks & that was over the Christmas holiday. Covered me 100% (plus $20 co-pay for Dr visit). I had BMI of 36 with high blood pressure, sleep apnea & back pain. Would have been scheduled for surgery right after EKG but they thought they may have seen an abnormality on EKG so had to have a stress test. After stress they said all was OK & EKG just had 1 of the leads in the wrong place so it was OK after all. So it depends on EKG & your general health of whether he asks for stress test or not. I had mine at Pine Creek Medical which was great, new place all state of the art. But Suregery Center of Richardson does more Lap-Bands than anywhere else in the world (I think) & Medical City is world-renowned, so I wouldn't worry about any of those facilities at all. Good luck & welcome!

Steph, I know that there are "companies" out there that will loan you the money for your surgery. I'm not sure if you have to have it up front or not.Tell Arlene (Dr J's Physician Assistant) or Dr J that Joy and Randy sent you.....LOL

United Healthcare will cover most of it; i have united healthcare of Texas, no deductible, I paid $200.00 for dr. jay and $200.00 for hospital/park central surgery center. Your insurance dictates where you have the surgery, he has 3 locations here in dallas (medical city, richardson surgery center and park central all within 3 miles of each other basically) but it's up to the insurance and dr. jay's staff will tell you where you will go. I got my EKG and blood work done right away through my own physician after see dr. jay, i just called my doctor up and said i was going to have lap band and needed ekg and she said come in tomorrow and it took 20 seconds and they faxed it in; i went then for my blood work across the street; so then they sent it to insurance and i was approved on december 30th like 3 weeks later and set my surgery for 1/16/06; Now what I did is i took short term disability as i did not want to use vacation or sick days; I asked dr. jay if he would sign off on it and he said everyday we do, how long do you think, so I took 3 1/2 weeks; my best friend same day, took 5 days and was back; i have diabetes and it's a slower healing process; i highly recommend at least a week, if you can take short term take it and go for at least 2 weeks. BMI has to be 35 or above if above 40 i think you don't need any other symptoms; Go to:

http://www.texaslapbandcenter.com/doctor.html and it has a BMI calculator and the site tells you exactly what you have to have. You will be fine. Dr jay will do you if you are approved by insurance. Now if you pay cash you can have it done without meeting the requirements but that is $15,000.00; Personally call now to get an appointment with him even if you can get in before seminar but you probably won't; it doesn't hurt to see him and be set up ready to go. Are you overweight? You will love him as you said; please feel free to email me any quesitons: jamoorse@comcast.net