Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How hungry do you get after the surgery....like the 1st week, month and few 3 or 4 months. Does everyone experience something different. Im wondering if it plays with your mind when your really hungry and get upset when you can only eat a small bit of food. When you get full does it still feel like the fullness presurgery. Are you able to eat to that feeling of ..Oh man I shouldn't have taken those last few bites.

I still find myself feeling very hungry at times. I never have the sensation of feeling "full" now.. just satisfied.

When I am "very hungry" I do get bummed out when I can't pig out. Just being honest here.

However, today I am healthier, happier, and thinner. It has been well worth it!

Good luck to you on your journey!

Edited by Starting-overin-AZ

I would say that for me the first couple of weeks I was not hungry AT ALL. But maybe the last two weeks Ive begun to feel hungry a bit more...im still supposed to be on full liquids but must admit have already had a few taste of things here and there, but not full meals because im scared to totally break the rules. Still have 1 more week of full liquids. I was so happy when i wasnt hungry though and now things are changing.

I was hungry about 4 days after surgery. This hunger lasted until my third fill, which took about 2 months.

No your feeling of fullness will not be the same. I get a slight pain in my chest when I've eaten enough. Usually burping takes the pain away. Then I just feel not hungry. I have found if I eat beyond the slight pain in my chest, the pain gets worse and I vomit. Still working on eating small bites and chewing chewing chewing.

Starting over - I SOOOO feel your pain !! It sucks some days to not be able to sink my teeth into a huge mushroom and swiss burger, or Pan pizza, or eat a bowl of Fettuccini Alfredo. I feel "full" in my chest, but never in my tummy anymore. Ever. So sometimes I don't know when I'm actually full. Does that make any sense????

It all depends ... early on, I wasn't hungry for the 1st 3 or 4 months and really had to force food on myself ( there is a line I never thought I would have to type).

But these days, I eat very much like a normal sized, non banded person - some days a little less, some days more based on what my activity level is for the day.

Even in a meal where I pig out and eat awful food - wings covered with blue cheese for instance, I can only eat 8 or so- where pre band I was working thru 24 + 6 cheese sticks!!!

Does it make me upset on the rare day when I can't eat the volume I used too - HELL NO!

There really is no definitive aswer to this question, other than....."it depends".

And, of course, what it it depends on is the individual. What people experience post-surgery varies pretty widely.

There are a couple of theories with regard to the placement of the band in how it has the potential to mitigate hunger, but it has proven to be unreliable in practice. The result has been that some people do, in fact, experience a cessation of the hunger, but those instances are rare, in terms of there being an absence of hunger.

Your appetite WILL change somewhat, but it is very individual. Many people find that over time, with the reduction of food intake, that their body will anticipate and require less food, and their hunger will adjust accordingly. But this is not specifically a function of the Lap Band. In my own diet experience, I found that the longer I stayed on a lower-calorie intake, the easier it was, and my hunger diminished.

So, the answer is yes, no, and maybe!

S.

BobbieND

I am with you.. I miss "really eating" sometimes. Not enough to regret my decision!

Again, just keeping it real!

Starting over -

Absolutely - NO REGRETS!!

But some days............. :)

I am so discouraged. I was banded on 12/16/09 and for the first month everything went fine lost 17lbs and I was eating about 4 oz every 5-6 hours. The next month I was eating around the same but now adding some walking to it. Went for appointment and only lost 4 pounds, so I got my first fill of 3cc. OMG since that happened I have been soooo hungry. I am eating 6-8 oz every 5-6 hours now I am 3 days from my next appointment/fill and I have lost no weight this month. Does anyone know why this is happening???

Thanks for all the responses. I'm just trying to get a perspective on what might or might not happen.