Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Cautionary Tale!

Hello All!

I haven't been on lately due to a big problem that according to my surgeon is not a well known side effect of the band. This may or may not apply to many bandsters but I wanted to post anyway...

On Sunday morning I was awakened by a SEVERE pounding of my heart, like it was going to beat right out of my chest. AFter chalking it up to severe work and personal stress, serious exercise and lack of sleep and hoping it would go away for 9 hrs, I finally decided to go to the ER.

It turned out I had a heart rate of 179 (should be about a hundred or so beats less) and was in Atrial Fibulation (or A-Fib) where the top chamber of my heart beat erractically. After medicine did slow the beat but did not regulate the rythym, I was admitted and after about 50 hrs of no change they decided to perform a "Cardioversion" which is where they use the paddles they use to try and bring back someone who has just died to shock my heart back into a regular rythm.

I was scared! anyway, thankfully it worked after 2 shocks - they do sedate you heavily so you feel it but don't care - and they kept me for another 24 hrs to make sure it didn't change back, and now I am home.

The reason they believe this occured is twofold. The post-op (I am 6 weeks out) diet of high Protein, no carbs also means little to no potassium and maginesium rich foods, and with low doses of those you heart can go into a-fib or worse, and the fact that I have Ulcerative Colitis, which causes mal-absorbtion of nutrients are the culprits.

They believe that those two factors caused my potassium and magnesium levels to be almost non-existent and sent me down this path. My surgeon has said that there is little to no data on band patients with Colitis, and my doctors in the hospital felt that I need to be on a more bypass-like Vitamin regime as a result of the mal-absorbiton.

So please, if you have colitis, check IMMEDIATELY with your surgeon, and even if you don't have colitis, make sure to get your blood drawn and your levels checked on a regular basis! It is a potentially life-threatening condition.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get converted to normal rhythm before permanent damage was done. We women are most notorious for waiting to seek help, 'hoping it will go away', but you let something like this happen to one of hour loved ones, and we have them in the ER so fast!

I hope it stays normal from here on in, now that you know to keep your electrolytes in check. Keeping tabs on those are so very important!

Ivan your avatar looks like a 2 headed man, I had to do a double take! lol

Thank you for sharing your story. It's amazing what reprocussions one thing can turn into when it comes to our bodies, isn't it?

Even if this saves 1 person from troubles, it'll be worth you posting and sharing. Thank you for your willingness to do so.

Best Wishes to You, ~Kelly

Thanks for sharing your story and for all the info.

I'm sorry to hear you have Ulerative Colitis, it's an awful disease. I had it and landed up having my colon removed and new reservoir and rectum constructed. That was 6 years ago and long before banding.

My mom had colitis as well and had to take potassium and magnesium, but my doctor never mentioned it to me, I was on large doses of prednisone to try to put me into remission but it never worked. That’s why I had my colon removed.

I've had remarks asking if not haveing a colon would help in weight loss? Not that I've noticed.

Do you think haveing Ulerative Colitis "speeds" up your weight loss, mal-absorbiton?

Wishing the best to you.

It seems so rare to hear from someone else with Colitis and the band.

I sure wish that having the disease had the effect of helping the weight loss, but no luck before or after the surgery. I think the only thing it helped was no Constipation problems post op - ha ha!

I have had colitis for 16+ years and can manage it pretty well, but apparently the mal-absorbtion issue is greater than we all thought. I thankfully still have my colon intact.

I am about 6 weeks post op and 26lbs down total so far, with one fill and another scheduled for 11/28 but not sure what they will do now. I don't feel enough restriction when I eat but I am able to not experience any hunger so therefore I can eat a lot less volume.

Has your colitis affected your post op life or with the removal of the colon is it no longer an issue?

Good luck and good health!

I no longer have colitis, nor constipation! I have about 4/6 small BMs a day and do not have gas in a farting way....TMI

Good health to you too!

Yikes! How scary! I'm curious to know if you were taking any multi-Vitamins before this happened.

I have some heart issues and take medications for high BP and to prevent a-fib. My cardiologist already cleared me for surgery, so I'm not worried.

I have been taking a Flinstones chewable multi-Vitamin post op. The doctor said I could start back on regular grown up Vitamins if I wanted, but to be honest I read the packages and there isn't much more of any ingredient in the adult ones so I will probably finish the bottle.

Today is a good day, I woke up feeling fine, which is more than I can say for last sunday! They said if I converted back into a-fib it's likley to happen within 2 weeks after the cardioversion so tuesday will be week one down. Wish me luck!

I am curious, why do they want to prevent a-fib for you? Have you had a problem before? I had never heard of this before it happened to me.

5 weeks after my son was born I had heart failure (peripartum cardiomyopathy). My heart function was at 15% - a healthy heart's function is usually 66%. I was on the verge of dying when my husband took me to the ER. I was short of breath, had raspy breathing and was spitting up pink foamy stuff. Spent a week in the hospital and have gradually improved. Now three years later and being on medications, my heart function has returned back to normal and my cardiologist considers me completely recovered.

I take Coreg and he said that it would be the last drug he would take me off if he ever does. I was wrong in saying I was taking it for a-fib - I refreshed my memory about this med and it helps with blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart deteriation over time because of heart failure.

So glad that you are feeling good - having a heart issue is so scary! Something I don't ever want to go through again! Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Quite interesting, thanks for shaing the story, now I'm glad I cheat with a few carbs, LOL.

Vera, wow I'd be happy to have 1 every other day, LOL.

Wow, thanks for sharing. I am glad you are doing better now and went into the ER when you did. Your right Kelly we women always wait till the last moment I know I am guilty of that..