Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got banded yesterday and have questions?

Ok, I just got banded yesterday and i have some questions?

I was released from the hospital today and my dr told me that I could have a combination of Clear Liquids and full liquids. Basically he said that I could have anything that I did not have to chew. He suggested chicken and beef broth, pudding, Jello, mashed potatoes really soggy, and creamy Soup as long as I did not have to chew it. This is a little concerning to me because I have read alot on these threads and most people have to do all clear liquids for a short time and them move to full liquids and then to mushies. This is odd to me because pudding to me is considered a mushy and so is cream soup. The dr. said he did not want me to worry about losing any weight at this time he just wanted my bad to set in it's place and not slip. He said that by drinking and eating things that did not require chewing would help me to do this. Please advise am I sabotaging myself by starting to eat watery mashed potatoes and things so early after that bad. I even asked him if i needed to eat sugar free and low fat jello or pudding and he said not to worry about it.

I was banded more than two years ago, but at the time my doctor's instructions were pretty much what your doc's are now. Most doctors do say at LEAST several days on liquids, more like two weeks, followed by another several days to two weeks on very soft mushy food. The important thing is to not eat anything that is at ALL uncomfortable, and stay away from anything that does not pulverize completely in your mouth. At four weeks out it's time to start eating solid food, but before that you want to go very gently.

Congratulations and welcome to bandlandia!

I'm no pro but I was surprised when my Dr said liquids only and then handed me a sheet of suggestions including cottage cheese, applesauce, yogurt, pudding, cream of wheat etc so I asked about it. He said basically what your Dr said.....it is a time for your stomach to be taking it easy so the scar tissue can form around the band to help hold it in place. His definition of a liquid is anything that you can eat through a straw (even though he said no straws allowed due to gas). I have had my band since Oct 24th and I still am liquids only but I have Protein Shakes, the foods listed above and any Soup I want. If is chunky, I put it in the bleder with some Water or milk to thin it. So far I have been fine.....Good luck to you and welcoem to bandland!

Thanks so much for your response. I feel a little better. Alot like you I was wondering why he suggested all of those foods when it was only supposedly liquids. Another question I have is that I know we are supposed to eat several times a day he said like every 30 mins to an hour of course only 1 ounce to 2 ounces. This to me at this point seems almost impossible. I guess I could carry a bottle of crystal light and sip throughout the day. What do you all suggest.

I always have a water bottle with me. There are 1/2 full ones all over my house & car....Not sure what you mean about eating every 1/2 hour though. I am eating like this:

cream of wheat or Protein Shake around 7. Water water water. 1c Soup at lunch water water water. Cottage cheese or yogurt around 5 water water water. 1c soup at 7 water water water, and then another Protein shake or yogurt before bed.....

Sip sip sip, that's exactly right. And this soon, you may not be able to get everything in. Just keep sipping. You know what to aim for. Listen carefully to your body and trust it. If it hurts at all, don't eat (well, drink) it. Slow down. If you are hungry, sip some protien shake and get some good liquid vitamins in. As time goes by, make your liquids thicker and more substantial. But you can't go wrong sticking with broths, protien shakes, Crystal Light, Water, watered-down Soups, etc (very liquid-y) until you know you need more than just that. You got it!

Hey, Congrats!

Ok for example to day in the hospital theya gave me chicken broth, apple juice and sorbet. I had that around noon then sipped on some Water until I got home which was around 5:00 I then drank 2 oz of cream broccli Soup. Then I just sipped on some crystal light till 7:00 and had 2 oz of watery mash potatoes. I guess since today is my first day I am still a little confused. I plan to call the dietician in the morning to let her know what how I am eating and see what she sais. It doesnt seem like alot of food since it is only 2 oz but I don't want to be eating more than I should.

It is important to be careful about what you eat, but your focus right now should be healing, not losing...........call your dietician, but I think what you had today looks great! Best of luck!

Every doctor is diferent with the post op instructions and clear or full liquids but all of them do require no solids until the band has set into place.Any food that has to be digested can make for a rumbly churining ordeal in your stomach which could make the bandslip before it hasset into place. Just follow his instructions and no solids until he tells you so. You'll befine. Congratulations on your new band. I wish you lots of success with it!

Be careful. I ate cream of potato Soup .. on day 7 (after the first of only real liquids) and thought I was going to die. Someone started stabbing me with an ice pick in the shoulder... it was my only truly bad experience - so I am a bit gunshy. Everyone is different... but EAT SLOWLY!!!!!!!

Congrats on your banding!! I wish you the best of luck!

I am still a wannabe, and wonder if I will ever belong to bandland. I'm discouraged, but I'm sure you have all been through the same thing. Vinesqueen, where did you go in Wash., and is it far from Boise. I have been given a suggestion for Portland, but did you go somewhere closer? I was just wondering if you could tell me how to contact them, and how far away it is. Thanks.

alex)

The important thing is to not eat anything that is at ALL uncomfortable, and stay away from anything that does not pulverize completely in your mouth.

nykee)

I can do the first one with no problem at all..

but the pulverized food... thats hard to stop.. (for me)