Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Doctor to use for REMOVAL of my Lap Band

Hi friends!

tell me which doctor you used to remove your band. I just can't take it anymore. The GERD and I asperate in my sleep is killing me. I do not have the money to do it but I JUST have to find a way to have it removed.

My original doctor quoted me: $5600 (plus airfare to Mexico)

Doctor in Ohio at the Cincinnati Weight Loss Center quoted me at $5500 plus air and hotel

Who did you use, how long was the operation and what were your total costs?

I just had my band removed March 24th, 2010. I am from Michigan and I had my band taken out by Dr. Bruce McIntosh at William Beaumont Hospital - Troy. He did a great job felt good following the procedure. I was only on pain meds for 2 days following the procedure.

I will say thought that I have developed excessive reflux since my band has been taken out. The surgeon stated that he has seen this in another person who has had there band removed. I guess it happens because the sphincter in the lower esophagus has been weekend due to the band. Hoping that the meds will cure this problem......

why don't you try Dr. Aceves, i highly recommend him. He is very reliable and professional. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his staff. excellent experience, price and service.:smile:

What part of Georgia are you in? I am driving to Jacksonville to have mine removed. I had to find someone that was willing to even speak to me because I had mine done in Mexico (Dr. Ortiz) and also someone who accepted my insurance. This particular doctor was my fill doc when I lived there so he has all of records from surgery.

Just start calling around. It took me days to get it done, but I am now scheduled to have my first appt. Monday, driving 6 hours to get there, then surgery next month when school lets out for summer.

It can be done, it just takes some time. The first step is to find out if insurance will cover it. I was surprised to learn that Tricare started covering removal in March.

Michele

Hi Miper70,

Just curious as to why you are getting yours removed. Has it been deflated for 3yrs? What did you do to cont to lose weight without the restriction? The reason I am asking is because my band has a leak around the band itself (just my luck, manufacturing defect). I have had it about 16mos, lost about 50lb. Its been broken for the last few months and I am contemplating having it removed and not replaced. I have to lose about 40lbs more to get to goal. It looks like you were able to do it without the band... I really like the band when it is functioning correctly, but I have had a tough time getting restriction and keeping it and now its broken. I am self pay and will have to save up to have it removed. What made you decide after 3yrs to have it removed? Thanks :biggrin:

It just never worked for me. I know this isn't the place to post this, but I lost all of my weight doing hCG and have kept it off with no help from lap-band.

The reason I am having it removed is because of pancreatitis and pain maybe caused by the band itself. I won't know for sure until it's gone.

Email anytime if you want to discuss further...... miper70@yahoo.com

Just a thought but have you checked into having a gastric sleeve put in instead of the band? There may be fewer reflux problems and you'd still have weight loss. That doctor would probably not charge for a band removal...and some of the advertised package deals look really good. Also, did you get a hernia repair at the same time you got the band? Your symptoms sound a lot like a hernia. Probably you need to have it checked whether o not you get the band removed. My doctor always checks and does them at the same time because he says a lot of his patients have hernias, but it seems that others...especially in Mexico...do not. If you have a hernia insurance will cover a repair - band or no band, and the doctor may remove it for a reduced charge. I was surprised at the amount the insrance paid for hernia repar as opposed to the negotiated price for thebanding...4X as much (an evil and suspicious voice in my head says "no wonder he finds all those hernias" while the sane voice says, "Well, I did have acid reflux pre-banding....").