Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon disappointed in weight loss / Bandsters a Dying Breed?

I agree, you look great. 52 lbs in one year is good, that is an average of 1 lb a week. My doctor is telling me that my 32 bmi is getting near to goal as he doesn't think woman of my age, 61, should be lower than 28 bmi. We look unhealthy! I am in a size 14, I would guess that you are that or near it. You look like and sound like you are on the right path. Boo! to your doctor.:unsure:

First off, Happy Bandiversary and congrats on the weight loss!!

I read all of the other replies and don't have much more to add but I did want to be the first to call your doctor a "dick".

I second Starlight and BigBirney - Sounds like the putz wants to shame you into a gastric bypass. Find a new doctor and rate this one online - if he thinks business is bad now wait 'til the word gets out about his bedside manner!

Thanks everyone for the support. You guys all ROCK! To answer someone's question, yes, exercise has been a big part of my post-band life. And to answer someone else's question, I have gone from a size 20 pants / 2x tops to a loose size 14 pants / Large tops. I was so excited recently when I went to Dress Barn and got to shop on the skinny girl's side of the store! I even told the surgeon that day what my clothes sizes have changed.

I've been really trying to think of my part in this relationship with the doctor and I think he thinks I'm disappointed in my results. One visit last fall I was kind of disappointed and insistent on a fill. So I don't know if that was what he was expecting and he was immediately on the defensive. But he is very clear that he prefers the results of bypass over band. I think I really wanted an "atta girl" or pat on the back because I was pretty proud of myself and I guess that's really not his job. He said that when I had my band done last year 25% of his patients were band and now he's getting away from them and only doing 5% of band's now. So it's obvious he's not happy with the results and I think he takes it personally too. He said he doesn't need to see me for 6 months and I'll wait until then unless I have any problems and decide then how things are going to go from here on out. I think what really irks me is that he didn't believe me about not smoking. You have to have trust in your doctor and vice versa in the patient and he obviously didn't believe me. So I think he doesn't believe me about my portions, my food choices, my exercising. Any one who knows me knows I can have my bad side, I can be a bitch along with the rest of them if I'm pushed, but the one thing I'm not is a liar. If he wants to call me out about food choices that might be bad, I'm okay with that. That's his job and that's what I expect of him. But don't call me out on something that isn't true and then not believe me.

Thanks again everyone. I know my posts have been quite long. I appreciate you letting me vent and also validating my feelings.

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on your HUGE loss for the year! AWESOME!!!!! Second, there is absolutely no reason to return to a Dr. that you are unhappy with for any reason. They are just people doing a job, they too can be jerks. You pay his salary, find someone else who is worthy of a patient that is still going strong. So, take a breath, brush yourself off and move on, tomorrow is another day!

Bypass can be great--for some people. Loss is rapid during a honeymoon phase (when patients lose, pretty much no matter what they do).

Your surgeon sees those results day in and day out.

But what he doesn't see---because unlike band patients, bypass patients get discharged from their surgeons' care---is that after that honeymoon period, bypass patients struggle every bit as much with making the right food choices (and eating around their procedure), etc.

The 3-5 year success rates, comparing band to bypass, are very similar.

So, you've got a doctor who likes immediate gratification---and is more than a bit of a douchebag about it. Good thing it's not about him and his body, huh?

You have every reason to be proud. You also have every reason to switch doctors. I know you're trying to find a reason why he's being so obnoxious. It might just be because he is obnoxious!

May I suggest that you write this doctor a letter and let him know how he made you feel?

He truly may not know that he's an ass.... and he deserves to. I don't mean in a mean way- just a factual, straightforward way.

I think it's good practice that if someone loses your business (or is about to) that you let them know *why.* Otherwise, we don't give them the chance to change or improve.

If I made someone feel like crap, I'd want to know about it.

Who knows-- some people are just asses their whole lives... but maybe-- he'll be more thoughtful with the next person with a little bit of feedback.

Sorry for the problems. I saw my Dr a couple of days ago upset that for the last 6 mths I was stuck and wasn't losing weight. I am 5.4 and 160 lbs and very small frame. He offered me lyposuction! I was floored, I needed support to get back on track not another huge bill. He said I looked skinny, my family were shocked, they know I am still 30-40 lbs over weight and my labs for cholesterol etc are horrible still. If you go to his site or even his monthly classes and complain even a little bit they get upset. Where do you turn. I was just completely unfilled because of horrible bouts with heartburn/reflux and have had horrible pain between my breasts.He offered me pain medication. Thank goodness for this site, I'd have read alot about others with same issues and it made me feel I wasn't alone in this process :frown:

While an appointment like that one is happening I would think the patient is in shock and not sure what to say.

Now you have had time to reflect. If you do go back to this Dr. you can be ready to speak to him and tell him about the way he speaks to people. The letter may be a pretty good idea too.

What a Jerk Face!

Bands aren't dying out. My doctor does more bands then bypasses.

Also...You are only suppose to loose up to 70% of your excess weight in 5 years. So if you are a 100 over you are expected to loose 70lbs in 5 years.

Be proud of your accomplishments. You are truely an inspiration to everyone. I have been banded for almost 2 years and I had a horrible weight gain and my doctor keeps pushing me.

KEEP GOING BE PROUD!

turn. I was just completely unfilled because of horrible bouts with heartburn/reflux and have had horrible pain between my breasts.He offered me pain medication. Thank goodness for this site, I'd have read alot about others with same issues and it made me feel I wasn't alone in this process :frown:

Hello Putytat52, I have just been researching Gall stones (they showed up on my ultrasound this morning whilst looking for kidney stones!). The heartburn, reflux and mid-chest pain are all symptoms and people who have lost weight quickly are very suceptible to them... you may want to just check it out with a doc next time you see one!! GP maybe, rather than band doc. May not be relevant but just thought I would mention it.

Edited by jalomum
Syntax!

Thanks everyone for the support. You guys all ROCK! To answer someone's question, yes, exercise has been a big part of my post-band life. And to answer someone else's question, I have gone from a size 20 pants / 2x tops to a loose size 14 pants / Large tops. I was so excited recently when I went to Dress Barn and got to shop on the skinny girl's side of the store! I even told the surgeon that day what my clothes sizes have changed.

I've been really trying to think of my part in this relationship with the doctor and I think he thinks I'm disappointed in my results. One visit last fall I was kind of disappointed and insistent on a fill. So I don't know if that was what he was expecting and he was immediately on the defensive. But he is very clear that he prefers the results of bypass over band. I think I really wanted an "atta girl" or pat on the back because I was pretty proud of myself and I guess that's really not his job. He said that when I had my band done last year 25% of his patients were band and now he's getting away from them and only doing 5% of band's now. So it's obvious he's not happy with the results and I think he takes it personally too. He said he doesn't need to see me for 6 months and I'll wait until then unless I have any problems and decide then how things are going to go from here on out. I think what really irks me is that he didn't believe me about not smoking. You have to have trust in your doctor and vice versa in the patient and he obviously didn't believe me. So I think he doesn't believe me about my portions, my food choices, my exercising. Any one who knows me knows I can have my bad side, I can be a bitch along with the rest of them if I'm pushed, but the one thing I'm not is a liar. If he wants to call me out about food choices that might be bad, I'm okay with that. That's his job and that's what I expect of him. But don't call me out on something that isn't true and then not believe me.

Thanks again everyone. I know my posts have been quite long. I appreciate you letting me vent and also validating my feelings.

I too visited your pictures and you look fabulous! I am also 5'2". For myself, I could be very happy at the 140-155 range (I'm a little on the chest heavy side and trust me, I still run a D cup even at 135 -140 or so and would be a skeleton under 125 from previous experience).

Your doctor is a jerk. Are there are clinics in your area that do lapband surgery? Maybe you should consider confronting him and asking for a new referal as you are not getting the support you need and what he is saying to you is NOT TOUGH LOVE in my book. By losing slower though, you are giving your skin much more time to tighten up. If you would have had the bypass, you would have lost real fast and had a lot of flabby excess skin and then maybe you would have been approved to have the Tummy Tuck and skin removal surgery. However, some insurance companies will consider them cosmetic and not approve them as part of the weight loss package/procedure.

One other thing, are you peri or menipausal? I see you are mid 40's so that could also be a factor in your slower weight loss and fluctuations.

If you are plateauing, could you jump start every couple of weeks with a couple days of the pre or post liquid only diet of high Protein shakes, lots of Water, Clear liquids and about 600-800 calories max?

I wish you much luck on completing your goal. :frown:

Edited by Aquarius12459

Thank you for the info. on gall stones. I think its my heartburn. I had to have a complete unfill because of heartburn,vomiting and my band was swollen. I keep reading about others having the same symptoms. I'm hoping its not gall or kidney stones :frown:

Dump the jerk, sounds like he needs money and is trying to get you to have by-pass

PutyTat - I'm about 5'4" and at one time weighed 160 - I'd love to be there again.:frown: All I'm saying is you probably look alot better than you give yourself credit for. Try My Virtual Model - create an avatar of yourself at your starting weight and now - might be surprised.

Other subject - bands on the way out? Are you kidding? My surgeon's practice is doing five to six a day and many times it banding of someone who has already had gastric by-pass!

I have a family friend who had Roux-N-Y several years ago. She cheated all the way through pre-surgery - gorging at every one of her fav restaurants as if she'd never eat again. Despite a top notch bariatric program, she never learned proper nutrition/portioning or ignores it. She didn't lose as much as she could have and has since packed it back on - but continues to eat crap and is losing her hair. She refuses to go back for her follow ups with her surgeon( she's afraid he'll be disappointed) but now is looking at the baratric group that I used to maybe add a band. Let's guess how successful that'll be.

Maybe I'm just flattering myself and the rest of the bandsters - I think either procedure is tough and you've got to do what's right for you, but it seems to me that banding carries with it far more personal responsibility to make it work. After all, it's just a tool, not a passive digestive process.