Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

crippiling gas pain

I was banded on Oct 10th 2005 and everything went well. I had minor gas pain which was to be expected, then it went away after a week. Now I am 4 weeks out and the pain is back in my left shoulder. The pain gets so bad that it makes me bend over, grabbing my shoulder in tears. With the minor gas pains early in my post-op day it would come and go. This pain in my shoulder now just lingers and doesnt really go away. Does anyone else experiance this, and or have any suggestions on what I should do?

When I first had it happen I thought I was delivering a baby. But that would have meant that I was impregnated by the immaculate conception.

GAS EX works wonders. I don't know why we get so much gas build up- especially right after surgery...but I started to carry around the chewable tablets of Gas Ex and when I would start to feel the first signs of cramping, I pop a couple and in no time I'm burping and well, you know...

Megan

I experience left shoulder pain after eating just one-too-many bites. I really pay the price when I eat too quickly too - the pain will be in my left shoulder and my left rib cage area....I also take Gas-X to help relieve it, but honestly, only time lets it go.......or not eating too much, in my opinion. It goes away in about 20 minutes or so. At least that is what I experience...do you notice the pain more after eating?

If I had pain in my left shoulder I would panic. I've had 5-way-bypass and that is where all the pain was when I had a heart attack. Now you're telling me you get gas in your shoulder. I would end up in the ER in panic because I wouldn't know what signal my body was sending. HELP.

If I had pain in my left shoulder I would panic. I've had 5-way-bypass and that is where all the pain was when I had a heart attack. Now you're telling me you get gas in your shoulder. I would end up in the ER in panic because I wouldn't know what signal my body was sending. HELP.

I had my gallbladder out, and they told me the gas would be horrible. I never got any gas. I had a C-section and they told me the gas would be horrible. I sailed through it without any gas. I wonder if maybe I can get through this without too much gas.

I experience left shoulder pain after eating just one-too-many bites. I really pay the price when I eat too quickly too - the pain will be in my left shoulder and my left rib cage area....I also take Gas-X to help relieve it, but honestly, only time lets it go.......or not eating too much, in my opinion. It goes away in about 20 minutes or so. At least that is what I experience...do you notice the pain more after eating?

My pain seems to be constant, the last 2-3 days it hasnt let up. Today was the first day that it made me feel sick. The pain just seems to linger and not really go away, it almost feels like a pinched nerve, sometimes the pain goes into my neck and down my left arm.

Are you sure it is related to your band?

No, im not 100% sure. I am other wise very healthy other then being fat. I was 256 pre-op ( 4 weeks ago) and now I am 236. I havent had any other medical problems.I am just hoping I can bare with it until 11-10 when I go in for my first fill. I deal with alot of burping not matter what I eat or drink or how I do it, I always seem to have to burp. I have done the Gas-X doesnt seem to work for me.

There is a thing called the soft stop signal when you eat. It is a signal for you to stop eating since we no longer experience the "full" feeling any more. I have heard many others say their soft stop signal is the pain in their shoulder. Mine is an ice cream headache. Does it happen when you eat? It could also very well be gas..walking to move the gas around so it can get out is the best medicine and Gas X too.

I was told by my band surgeon (and a doctor who posts on here concurred) that the shoulder pain is actually referred pain from the band rubbing against your diaphram and has nothing to do with gas.

That said, a lot of people say gas-x does wonders for it, so who the heck knows. My shoulder pain lasted for about two weeks and then went away. I hope you feel better soon! :rolleyes:

There is no chance it is your gallbladder is there? Gallbladder attacks can cause pain between the shoulders and in the left shoulder. I am only concerned because you are 4 weeks post op and that sounds pretty severe to still be gas pains. It wouldnt hurt to see your regular doctor and make sure everything is okay.

I was told by my band surgeon (and a doctor who posts on here concurred) that the shoulder pain is actually referred pain from the band rubbing against your diaphram and has nothing to do with gas.

That said, a lot of people say gas-x does wonders for it, so who the heck knows. My shoulder pain lasted for about two weeks and then went away. I hope you feel better soon! :rolleyes:

I am starting to believe that this is what it is, Referred Pain, which in turn concerns me. Why all of the sudden has it started is my question? Could I have possibley injured something? I have a heating pad on it now, and it seems to help take the edge off the pain. I am starting to believe that giving birth is alot less painful.

I just want to thank you all for responding and trying to help me with my issue. I love this forum.

I never had any referred pain of any sort from a lousy gallbladder I had to carry around for 2 years after heart surgery. The pain was right where the gallbladder was and nowhere else. The fact that they nicked my liver is still giving me pain. I guess I am the "fat liver" they refer to.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I did the heating pad thing too and it helped me alot.