Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medicine Questions

Questions regarding whole meds vs. liquid.

I am going to be banded on November 22nd. I did get most of my meds ordered in liquid form. Some I can't do liquid though

how long after will I have to take the liquid form? Can you ever take whole pills again?

Schel from MN.

I'd recommend always taking them in liquid form if you can get them. Your restriction is going to vary, and I could see even an M&M size getting stuck sometimes. You can also cut them up with a pill cutter.

NJChick, good think you specified plain M&M's... I'd hate to think what a peanut M&M size pill could do... :rolleyes::P:)

Depending on your fill level and the size of the pill will determine if you can take the pills or will need to do liquids. I for one can not take a tylenol caplet without it getting stuck. I only have 1.5 cc's in my band. We all are different, I tend to take liquids whenever available, it's not worth it getting stuck.

NJChick, good think you specified plain M&M's... I'd hate to think what a peanut M&M size pill could do... :rolleyes::P:)

I know, HAAA can you imagine, and they are my favorite candy (the pnut ones lol).

I agree with you Anwyn, I would take liquid when I could and break the pills up or even crush them but check with your pharmacist first b/4 crushing any medication.

I was told the same thing, anything smaller than an M&M. I still break tylenol in half and if it is early in the day I take liquid as my band is like an Iron fist in the mornings. I just had my PCP call in amoxicillin in liquid form for an ear infection/upper respritory thing I have going on. The bottles are huge and the tech at walgreens looked at my like I was nuts for getting liquid, I explained to her about my surgery and she made a note in my file about pill size restriction. She also said that most meds are made in liquid form, but the script has to specify liquid, you can't just request it that way. ~Mandy

While we are on the topic, what about over the counter medications? Does Tylenol come in a liquid? I've never paid any attention. What about Gas X?

They actually sell a sugar free liquid tylenol. I think that the tylenol elixir tastes like pure sugar ( I guess so kids will take it). So I called my pharmasist I she recommended Silapap which is the sugar free liquid tylenol. It certainly does not taste as good, but we don't need the added sugars. It was around $20.00 for a huge bottle and you don't need a prescription. Gas x also comes in liquid it is by the maalox section.

I take 5 whole pills every evening. I always take them with my dinner, so that the throat is not too dry and that they move through with the food. Only time I've ever had problems is if I was filled too tightly. Large capsules, I would not risk. M&M is probably a good rule of thumb.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches